Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 01:23   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Maithon is a nice idea,and the drive would be great too.Thanks Sumitro for the suggestion,but I guess lot of members would back out because of the distance and night stay.
I meant this for the people who really want to enjoy the long drive. I think the last meet was an in-city meet. You cannot take a poll every time and decide that it has to be a meet in a nearby place. The ones who do not want to go for the long drives can always opt out as it is not mandatory in any way. No offences meant to anybody, just my POV.
Old 31st October 2008, 01:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
....Mandir (dont remeber the name...)
Its Kalyaneswari temple. The road winds up after the temple and its quite scenic.
Old 31st October 2008, 06:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If you guys really want to go for a long drive then you can go to Maithon. It will hardly take 2 and half hours to reach there and the place as many of know is really nice. Boat ride on the dam in winter is very pleasant. And on the top of it the road is perfect.
Sumitro, just a question My Hometown is Asansol. I remember it used to take an hour or more to reach Maithon from Asansol.
Isn't 2 and a half hours from Kolkata too short. I think it should take longer.
Anyway, the trip is definitely worth. I remember the Maithon Dam area used to be very scenic. There was a guest house there too.

Long no updates.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

It has always taken me four hours from Calcutta to Asansol. But I drive slow and relaxed. Around 80-100 kmph. Two and a half to Maithon is like supersonic for me. We are talking about more than 300 km here I think. Technically it is possible to do it but not by me.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you guys go to Maithon all you end up doing is "drive, drive and drive" on a road that has been driven to death by most of us here. I don't see how we can have an adda of any sort in such a meet.
And another dhaba type meet becomes a sort of "biyebarir nemontonno", where all we do is meet, chat with the guy sitting next to me, eat and come back.
Baganbari offers the best opportunity for every one to mingle and know each other.
All this is from my personal perspective. Others will have their views.
Old 31st October 2008, 09:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If you guys go to Maithon all you end up doing is "drive, drive and drive" on a road that has been driven to death by most of us here. I don't see how we can have an adda of any sort in such a meet.
And another dhaba type meet becomes a sort of "biyebarir nemontonno", where all we do is meet, chat with the guy sitting next to me, eat and come back.
Baganbari offers the best opportunity for every one to mingle and know each other.
All this is from my personal perspective. Others will have their views.
Just tell me when and where, once you good people have decided.
Old 31st October 2008, 09:44   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If you guys go to Maithon all you end up doing is "drive, drive and drive" on a road that has been driven to death by most of us here.
I dont think even 50% of the tbhpians from Kolkata have driven on this road, but I would be glad to be proved wrong .
As far as timings and distances are considered, I dont think we should speculate on that much, otherwise I may get banned from tbhp for promoting street racing . But I suggested this place just because I would love to go there with like minded people for a fun trip though I know this place like the back of my hand, and yes I like to drive, drive and drive.. sorry I would say I liked to drive, drive and drive before coming to USA .. lol.. Sudipto Da, I am not trying to argue that this is right or wrong.. I have seen your travelogues and also know that you have done very long distance trips and a 250 Km drive is peanuts to you.. it is not only about the drive, I feel that the veterans like you and Anirban and a few others who have made long distance trips can share a few things with the new comers who would love to hit the highway but are fearful because most people say only bad things about long distance car trips... I too come from a family who shuddered at the thought of road trips on Indian highways, but I feel if driven cautiously it is the best possible way to travel, and I am sure you too feel the same way. So it was just a request so that the newcomers who are not conversant with highway manners can learn a few things from you, 1100D, adc, vrooooom, razor singh and others... just my 2 cents...
Old 31st October 2008, 11:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I feel that the veterans like you and Anirban
I am not a veteran, unless you mean the other Anirban that is!!
Old 31st October 2008, 11:37   #24
BHPian

Hey Guys, Can you all plan this meet sometime in 3rd week of nov, then I too can make it. would be amazing to go for the long drive.
Keep me posted on it please.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:41   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I am not a veteran, unless you mean the other Anirban that is!!
not in age but in terms of driving I meant. but if that does not sound good to you, I take back my words.
Old 31st October 2008, 11:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Maithon works for me.... but let's make it a one day trip.
Am open to either option - short drive + adda, or a more drive-oriented meet.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Maithon sounds good. I have never been on this road ever but would have been game otherwise too, from what all of you have to say about the route!

PS: Can't we do the Baganbari trip in November? Pretty Please!
Old 31st October 2008, 12:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

please decide whether you want to go for a drive to maithon or the baganbari meet / whether this will be a full day affair.

how much time does it take to reach Maithon at sane driving speed (80-100kph)? - at any cost we should not forget about safe driving on the highway.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:16   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
how much time does it take to reach Maithon at sane driving speed (80-100kph)? - at any cost we should not forget about safe driving on the highway.
It is not about the top speed but the speed you can maintain throughout the journey. So even if you hit a top speed of 110-120 and maintain a steady pace of 80-90 Kmph which is quite doable on the durgapur expressway (unless some major problem occurs on the highway) you can easily reach Maithon in 3 Hours. This is from the Second Hooghly bridge. So IMO start at 8ish, reach there by 11:30 max taking small halts in between. Spend the day there till 3:30-4. The boat ride to the islands will take 1 hour per boat. Start the return journey and reach home by 8-8:30...
Old 31st October 2008, 13:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
please decide whether you want to go for a drive to maithon or the baganbari meet / whether this will be a full day affair.

I am Game for both. However, Maithon should not take less than 4-5 hours at 80-100 kmph avg.

That means if you want to make it a one day trip, around 10-11 hours will be consumed in driving. A 2 day trip to Maithon makes more sense.

The baganbari trip however is also really enticing, as its a noce way to have a relaxed weekend day, after my busy weekdays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks