Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 11:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I did want to see managlore/kasargod and coorg again. its been a while!
Some vehicles from TVM, especially a certain white truck with red carpets, can only drive upto Cochin MAX. The truck doesnt work after Cochin, apparently.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:54   #32
BHPian

Sis in law's wedding on 26th. Will be in Wayanad that weekend.
In and around coimbatore these are the roads that I can think of

1. Coimbatore - Annur - Sathyamangalam - Dimbam - Asanur 150kms of the BEST driving roads! Zero traffic early in the morning. Can arrange for some delicious non-veg fare at the TTDC in Asanur. Stay can be arranged in a friend's farm house.

2. Coimbatore - Annur - Sathyamangalam - Thengumarada
Note - This is STRICTLY a 4*4, diesel MUV territory. Cars have to be parked at Sathyamangalam. I say diesel MUV because the last part is a river crossing and depending on the water levels it could be quite difficult for petrol vehicles to cross. Takes you right into the heart of the famed Sathyamangalam Tiger territory - The Mayar River bank. No hotels available. But can rent out small houses for like 200inr a night. Great food. Amazing locales.

Let me know what you guys think.
Can handle permissions and accomodation / food at both these places.

Edit - May / June will be more interesting if we are visiting these places. Monsoons make these places a whole lot better!

Last edited by Harrie : 14th April 2009 at 11:57.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:12   #33
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Some vehicles from TVM, especially a certain white truck with red carpets, can only drive upto Cochin MAX. The truck doesnt work after Cochin, apparently.
Trucks now come with region secific operation like DVD players?

Seriously though, Why not head north?
Leave late night to beat north kerala traffic, get to bekal early morning, lunch near mlore, evening in coorg. then if able, drive back next day to cochin.
It is a DRIVE, not a STAY!
Bekal fort will be nice after the rains. mangalore beaches(I know some really off the beaten track destinations there) will be nice, and the Coorg Mangalore road was very entertaining a few years back.

mangalore town can be bypassed from ullal, via the Managlore university area, straight upto BC road(fantastic scenery and drive) and then from there-sullia -coorg(will have to recheck) probably zak will know.

Day/midnight trips to munnar can be done anytime.
We need to plan bigger!

Cochin TVM can not be considered a drive. It is a walk in the park.
Please feel free to shout me down if its impractical, but I have been cooped up at home the last few months cramming for an exam, and am dying to get out of the regular routes.

EDIT- Harrie-Nice plans, both of them. I'll go with anything, just get me out of cochin please.......

Last edited by rippergeo : 14th April 2009 at 12:14.

Old 14th April 2009, 12:50   #34
BANNED

If Coimbatore and around option sounds good, then let's do it.

Saturday morning to Coimby, after breakfast to Asanur, lunch enroute somewhere and then night at the farmhouse. Early morning drive to some exotic, scenic, photo-able surroundings. Then drive back to cochin after breakfast with lunch enroute somewhere.
Sounds like an amazing drive. What say?

Ripper, let's do the Mangalore belt as soon as I get my new Innova (Dad is in Cochin, so it won't take long I hope). This DRIVE will have to be planned to other's comfort too. And I don't think this option will appeal to many.
Old 14th April 2009, 13:46   #35
BHPian

Coimby seems good. I can join at Thrissur. And dates as of know I am OK with any SAT- SUN combination. And as Nanadan said MAY 1 is a holiday for most of us and it’s followed by a SAT & SUN. So this gives TVM Bhpians also enough leverage and lots of time for post D R I V E meet.

Err also can we couple it with a GO Karting at Kari. I don't know whether it's possible. Some one from CBE throwsome light.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:03   #36
rippergeo

@zak- i like the coimby plan. Like you said, mangalore later.

Old 14th April 2009, 14:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I did want to see managlore/kasargod and coorg again. its been a while!
Good thought rippergeo! You want any kind of arrangement in Kanhangad (Technically that's where bekal fort is!) just ask! We malabar people treat our guests well!

Quote:
Seriously though, Why not head north?
It would be beautiful, the roads in Kanhangad / Kasargod / Mangalore are comparitively less dense, usually people have a wonderful drive. (Also there are very good country roads, where we open up!)

Quote:
Bekal fort will be nice after the rains.
It sure is, but rains are scarse this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If Coimbatore and around option sounds good, then let's do it.
I would love to but since I dont have a car here (chengannur, where i study) I am sort of reluctant. Can I hop into anyone's ride ? Ill take my share of the fuel!

Quote:
Ripper, let's do the Mangalore belt as soon as I get my new Innova (Dad is in Cochin, so it won't take long I hope). This DRIVE will have to be planned to other's comfort too. And I don't think this option will appeal to many.
Waiting for it to happen!!
Old 14th April 2009, 14:41   #38
BHPian

Karting at kari might not be possible from what I heard last. Can ask sriram to check though.

Zak, I like the Mayar river option is more enticing to me than the Asanur one. Maybe because I do the Coimbatore - Asanur route atleast twice a month for the past three years
Old 16th April 2009, 17:38   #39
BANNED

It seems everybody is busy on the 25-26 weekend as the sms responses appears to be saying so.

Let's plan for the beginning of may then. What say?
Old 16th April 2009, 18:58   #40
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
It seems everybody is busy on the 25-26 weekend as the sms responses appears to be saying so.

Let's plan for the beginning of may then. What say?
Yes please! May will be good.

Old 16th April 2009, 22:05   #41
BHPian

Can we fix it as May 1 and May 2 with May 3 as post DRIVE meet or
May 2 and May 3?
Is it possible for a track day or karting at Kari speedway?
Old 16th April 2009, 22:26   #42
BHPian

Ayyio! May 1/2/3 will be tight for me, as I have a shifting to take care of. Also THRISSUR POORAM is on 3rd, which i don't want to miss. Can we have the subsequent weekend for the drive
Old 18th April 2009, 16:44   #43
BHPian

Wow another drive in the planning phase huh. I ll be in back in India on 21st. Getz me planning, hmmm. . Have been missing all the drives for a while.

The weekend after pooram should be fine, by the way how about a mini meet at Trichur guys?? Have been busy for a while now, so would like to catch up new members from Trichur.

It had been only me and Veelu for long at Trichur, why not meet up all guys ??

Last edited by srikant : 18th April 2009 at 16:47.
Old 18th April 2009, 21:19   #44
BHPian

ZO Mr. Srikanth you can count two more
1. yours truly
2. aravind warrier
And there are more bhpians for sure in Thrissur. Sorry for the OT.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:09   #45
BHPian

Sorry for including a mini Trichur meet inside the Summer splash drive guys, hope you forgive me.

@Silver knight. How about meeting this this weekend? but where?? i am not much familiar with Trichur, decide a place, i shall call up Veelu also after i reach India.

I ve met only Veelu in Trichur till date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks