Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 00:31   #16

Hey guys, Should I bring the Lambo??
Old 15th July 2009, 00:37   #17
BHPian

Excellent!

I suggest we do Saturday, unless most people request Sunday.

We'll organize again the same way we did last time. Everybody confirm here whether they will be attending.

I will be sending Ad a conference call number to send to everyone by PM, so that just like last time, we can all talk out where we are meeting how everybody will get there, who will meet where before they reach the meeting point, etc.

Does 8pm on Friday for the conference call work?

I will draw out a route later today when I get home from work.

So far it looks like we've got three cars and one rider:

Drivers/cars

1. Aah78 / BMW 335i
2. Satya / Rental
3. Harbir / Lotus

Riders
1. Abhijit

A request: If you are joining, either as driver or rider, Add your name to the list and paste the whole list in the message. If you drop out, delete your name and repost the list.

That way, the latest list in the thread will serve as the running record of attendees.

The original 4 names are not allowed to drop out!! (you have to make it some how, Satya!)

Last edited by Harbir : 15th July 2009 at 00:38.
Old 15th July 2009, 01:23   #18
BHPian

It's starting to look like

Drivers/cars

1. Aah78 / BMW 335i
2. Harbir / Lotus

Riders
1. Abhijit
2. Satya

8PM on Friday sounds fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
The original 4 names are not allowed to drop out!! (you have to make it some how, Satya!)
Don't worry man... Car or no car, I'm in.

Actually, I have an ulterior motive for coming (besides enjoying the ride of course)... Need to pick your brains on what to buy - I might be in the market for one soon.

Last edited by satyamenon : 15th July 2009 at 01:26.
Old 15th July 2009, 01:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Let me know if Lotus' passenger seat is empty . I dont mind squeezing there if its OK with you.
Abhijit,

Unless my wife decides to join, the passenger seat will empty so you're welcome to ride with me.

For atleast some of the time anyway. As you will remember from last time, the lotus has a very narrow cabin and I am a very wide guy and our shoulders were touching. For atleast some part of the day, I would like to have room to drive without obstruction to my right arm but you're welcome to ride with me for some part of the day. If my wife doesn't come with me.

If no other cars with a spare front seat join, and my wife doesn't join either, then you can ride with me for most of day since riding in the back seat, even of a 335i, isn't very much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher454 View Post
Hey guys, Should I bring the Lambo??
Sure. then there will be a fight for the passenger seat of your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon View Post
Don't worry man... Car or no car, I'm in.

Actually, I have an ulterior motive for coming (besides enjoying the ride of course)...
Cool. I'd offer to let you drive my '07 Honda accord (V6 6 speed), but its registration has exprired and it won't be renewed in time, so its going to stay parked.

Last edited by Harbir : 15th July 2009 at 02:00.
Old 15th July 2009, 02:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Abhijit,

Unless my wife decides to join, the passenger seat will empty so you're welcome to ride with me.

For atleast some of the time anyway. As you will remember from last time, the lotus has a very narrow cabin and I am a very wide guy and our shoulders were touching. For atleast some part of the day, I would like to have room to drive without obstruction to my right arm but you're welcome to ride with me for some part of the day. If my wife doesn't come with me.

If no other cars with a spare front seat join, and my wife doesn't join either, then you can ride with me for most of day since riding in the back seat, even of a 335i, isn't very much fun.
Harbir,
No problems at all. I doubt I myself will be able to handle the ride in Lotus the whole day . I was asking just for some time during the day.

Some guests are supposed to be arriving at home on Saturday. So I will confirm till Friday evening. Right now, it looks possible.
Old 15th July 2009, 02:42   #21
BHPian

Hello folks - please let me know what route are you planning? I might join in with my ugly car (PT Cruiser) ha ha.
Old 15th July 2009, 04:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
You're welcome to join-in!

We usually put in tristate because anyone outside this area will have to drive a LONG distance before going on the actual drive.

Usually I send out a PM to members from MA to PA, sometimes MD / DE. I think I even PM'ed members as far as VA the last time - but that's an even LONGER 5 hours drive.
It will be a long drive.. i am guessing 12 Hrs + or more.. Let me see if i can fly out there.. will someone be able to pick me up? based on that i can fly out to NY

Goddy
Old 15th July 2009, 07:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

I will not be able to make it this weekend or the next
Old 15th July 2009, 08:19   #24
BHPian

I am not a major league player yet New to the game in NYC... been to one outing back in Delhi. Dont have a car here - living my MBA life the MTA (in the city) and NJ Transit (to my internship in Hamilton/Princeton, NJ) way...what do u guys suggest?
Old 15th July 2009, 17:11   #25
BHPian

Here is the route, gentlemen. It involves a lot of scenic routes, lots of driving along river banks, lots of twisty backroads, but unfortunately, also some interstate travel to get to and from the good bits.

It is 375 miles, and I expect that it will take us all day, so I propose that we depart no later than 6.00am at the absolute latest. I know I was the one who was late the last time! but I encourage leaving early in the day to escape traffic in the early part of the day, as well as to ensure that we get enough time to stop for pictures and looking at all the pretty scenery, and meals, and all that, and still be able to get back to town by a reasonable hour.

So I encourage everyone to set their alarms for 5.00!

Now, the route:

From midtown, we go out on I-280 and I-80 for about 75 miles, to the delaware water gap national recreation area. Here we take the "old mine road" (rt 606 and 615) along the delaware river. This is said to be the oldest road in the US still in use. We wind out way up the road across the border into New York.

In New York, at Port Jervis, we get onto Route 97, and follow it all the way to Hancock. Route 97 has some of the most scenic views in the area and a region called "hawk's nest" which is said to have the most amazing set of twisties around.

At Hancock, we take Route 17 going east. A few miles later, we take route 30 that skirts along the north west corner of the catskills state park. More driving twisty roads along a stream here. Then we cut south on routes 102, 152, and 151, through the park, then back in on routes 81 and 82, 19, 55. All this is weaving around inside the state park on back roads. I expect it will be good, but we'll have to see.

Then we head south on Route 42 to join up with Route 17 again, which takes us back to New York City (about 90 miles).
Attached Thumbnails
Tri State USA group drive interest? EDIT: Pics Pg. 6 onwards-image_map.gif  

Old 15th July 2009, 17:23   #26
BHPian

(making two consecutive posts so as to leave the route post clean of extraneous discussion)

Goddy and hmishra, you guys are most welcome to join us, but it looks like we may not have enough seats if more cars don't join.

Maybe you guys can get together with Satya and split the cost of a rental 3 ways?

Goddy, if you want to join us, I'd advise flying in the night before. You could doss down in somebody's living room.

Last edited by Harbir : 15th July 2009 at 17:24.
Old 15th July 2009, 18:28   #27
BHPian

Thanks Harbir!

This looks good I am definitely open to rent & Split. Lets do it fellas!
Old 15th July 2009, 19:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Godfather, here the Tristate refers to NY,NJ & CT. You want to come from GA?
This thread always catches my eyes because we refer to OH, IN, KY as tristate in cincinnati.
Old 15th July 2009, 19:32   #29
BHPian

I'm open to splitting the cost of the rental if required... Only problem is that the cheapest rental available at the moment appears to be at the airports (JFK/NWK/LGA) and they're unreasonably high. In the region of $300 incl insurance and tax. The place I normally rent from (which is out of cars this weekend ) usually works out to about $175 for the weekend...

Anyways, will keep checking... They might just get some cars available in the last minute (the way they usually do)...
Old 15th July 2009, 19:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

try hotwire.com. I checked and at EWR it shows 182 for full size (fri-sun). that includes taxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks