Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 19:57   #31
BHPian

Satya,

Also, is there any reason to rent for the whole weekend? You could pick up a car late on Friday and return it 24 hours later on Saturday. Say pick up at 9pm on Friday and return at 9pm on Saturday.

I just checked Expedia for Newark airport, picking up at 9pm on Friday and dropping off at 9pm on Saturday, and the rates appear to be from $105 for standard cars to $110 for premium cars, including airport fees.

I also checked Hotwire, which shows $94 for a standard and full size, and $108 for premium (such as a maxima), total, including airport fees.

We'll just have to make sure you get back to the airport by 9pm, which should be quite doable as long as we stick to the proposed departure time. You also get 1 hour grace period to return.

My guess is that actually driving time will be about 8 hours. If we stick to the 6am departure, in addition to 8 hours of driving time, we will have 8 hours of time for breaks, lunch, hanging out, and you'll be able to make it back well in time to return the car in time.

Between you and HMishra, it'll be about 55 bucks each.

Can do?

I think you should consider it. You'll get to drive rather than just ride, Hmishra won't have to ride in the back seat.

I'll throw in a bit from my side because if you rent, then its to my benefit as well since I will be able to drive alone for a part of the day without having to ask Abhijit to ride in the BMW's back seat, which I don't want to do.

Consider it!

Last edited by Harbir : 15th July 2009 at 20:07.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:27   #32
BHPian

Heh heh... just spoke to my boss... I think I might have a way out of all this... Will reveal all soon.

@Harbir - good point. I kept thinking will need the car for more than 24 hours (cos I normally rent from a location next to my apartment). But if it's from an airport, they're open 24X7. So that restriction/constraint won't be there...
Old 15th July 2009, 21:04   #33
BHPian

I guess the latest list looks like -
Drivers/cars

1. Aah78 / BMW 335i
2. Harbir / Lotus

Riders
1. Abhijit
2. Satya
3. Himanshu (thats me)

Harbir/Satya - I am open to all options as long as we have a fun motor-y Saturday Thanks for working through this. By the way, I took the day off and am going to the NJ MVC (Jersey City) right now to at least get my license process initiated

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th July 2009 at 15:21. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 15th July 2009, 21:09   #34
BHPian

Satya, You trying to snag a company car? That or a rental, either way, find some wheels, dude!

We'll reset the conference call time if it conflicts for when you need to pick up the rental. Also, if you're picking up a rental from Newark, then you may not need to come into the city. I can meet Advait, Abhijit, and Himanshu in the city, and we can drive over to somewhere near Newark to meet you, since our route takes us west on I-280 past Newark anyway.

Himanshu, just FYI, don't expect this to be a gentle cruise. Expect to see some serious speed, especially on the curving roads!

I just want to highlight again, Let us be sure we are rolling from the meeting place in NYC by 6am. I propose that folks meeting up in the city, meet outside Grand Central at Park Avenue and 42nd street at 5.45am.

I know we don't want to wake up early on a saturday morning, but I think this is a big day, we should try to get the most out of it and not waste daylight!

Last edited by Harbir : 15th July 2009 at 21:19.
Old 15th July 2009, 21:10   #35
BHPian

I am totally game for it Harbir... u cant imagine what it feels like 'not to be driving' for almost a year (except a 10 day trip to North Island - New Zealand). I am almost 'like a virgin' waiting for the very first time
Old 15th July 2009, 21:14   #36
BHPian

Drivers/cars

1. Aah78 / BMW 335i
2. Harbir / Lotus
3. Satya / Rental

Riders
1. Abhijit
2. Himanshu
Old 15th July 2009, 21:23   #37
BHPian

Now we are talking! Thanks for taking care of that Satya.

Abhijit - Would you let me sit in that front seat of the 335i for a short while? I have some related plans... so just wanna see things from an insider perspective and get the owner's thoughts too!
Old 15th July 2009, 21:50   #38
BHPian

Satya, rock out!

So we meet you near Newark or what?

Goddy, You coming or what?
Old 15th July 2009, 22:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
So we meet you near Newark or what?
Anything is fine with me... Picking up the car friday night. I stay in Downtown Jersey City, so can meet up with you guys even in Manhattan if required...

I hope someone's thinking about where to stop for breakfast. 6 am is veeeeeery early. I'm sure you don't want to survive on a bag of chips like last time.

Last edited by satyamenon : 15th July 2009 at 22:15.
Old 15th July 2009, 22:21   #40
BHPian

Good point! I'll figure out where and when breakfast will be

Last edited by Harbir : 15th July 2009 at 22:32.
Old 16th July 2009, 02:06   #41
BHPian

My confirmation still depends on the guests that are supposed to be arriving at my home. Will confirm by Friday evening/night.
Old 16th July 2009, 03:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Excellent!

I suggest we do Saturday, unless most people request Sunday.

Does 8pm on Friday for the conference call work?
Saturday's perfect, and 8pm conference call's good too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher454 View Post
Hey guys, Should I bring the Lambo??
Yepp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Hello folks - please let me know what route are you planning? I might join in with my ugly car (PT Cruiser) ha ha.
Make sure you guys join in on the conference call so you know when/where we're meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh
Will confirm by Friday evening/night.
The normally busy man's as busy as ever!

Satya, do you know if sids911 still around? Haven't heard back from Ahmed (16v100bhp) either.
Old 16th July 2009, 03:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Satya, do you know if sids911 still around? Haven't heard back from Ahmed (16v100bhp) either.
Dunno... Don't have his number (deleted when the company wiped out my bbry to setup the corp acct). In fact, that reminds me - I don't have any of your numbers. Will dig up the old PMs to plug your numbers into my phone.
Old 16th July 2009, 04:00   #44
BHPian

All, I sent aah78 the conference call number.

He will be sending it out via PM, BUT ONLY to folks who have either confirmed or have expressed in this thread an interest in joining us.

If you have not confirmed or expressed interest but would like to be on the conference call for the group drive on Saturday, PLEASE mention it here so aah78 can send you the conference call information.

This is done to discourage folks from not saying anything here when there is time to plan, but jumping on the call the night before and creating last minute confusion about how and when they can join.

We would like to have as many of you join as would like to, so again, if you're thinking of joining, please mention it on this thread!

My apologies for the drama since its unlikely we'll be joined by anybody besides those who've already expressed interest, but better safe than sorry!

Last edited by Harbir : 16th July 2009 at 04:10.
Old 16th July 2009, 07:03   #45
BHPian

I am cool with meeting outside Grand Central at Park Avenue and 42nd street at 5.45am.
Anyway, will be joining the con call on Friday evening.
(I am getting excited more so after Harpal's descriptive comment about the nature of the drive).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks