Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:07   #46
BHPian

T-4 and counting. Woo hoo!!!

Just hope the weather holds up.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:07   #47
BHPian

Aww crud. Weather forecast for lisbon & weston is scattered T-storms over the weekend.

@Harbir, you may want to bring the hard/soft top. You're welcome to stow it away in the corvettes trunk (if it fits).
Attached Thumbnails
Southeast Ohio and West Virginia Tour!!-2008chevroletcorvette005.jpg  

Old 4th August 2009, 23:20   #48
BHPian

Satya,

Don't worry today about the weather then . You recall the other group drive had rain in the forecast but it didn't make an appearance. We may get rained out, but don't worry about it. que sera sera.

The Lotus' softtop rolls up and fits in the trunk so no worries. but I do need a new wiper for sure.

Anyway, you want to keep the corvette's trunk for its top. It pops off easily and stows in the trunk but doesn't leave room for much else. I can't imagine not driving the thing with the top off so you can listen to all the glory of that engine with the wind in the hair (when it isn't raining).

this is a standard corvette, not a convertible, and the Hertz ZHZ has its top come off exactly the same way. and look at those brakes!

Last edited by Harbir : 4th August 2009 at 23:39.
Old 5th August 2009, 01:15   #49
BHPian

Hey Harbir, do you have a video camera?

If its small enough, am wondering if we might be able to place it on this baby (I have one of these) and use it like a dash-mounted camera during our drive.

Amazon.com: Bracketron UFM-100BL Nav-Mat GPS Friction Dash Pad: Electronics
Old 5th August 2009, 01:44   #50
BHPian

I do have a high definition video camera and I have a camera mount installed in the lotus between the seats but I've been getting vibration problems and I am not sure if its the mount thats vibrating or allowing the camera to vibrate, or if the lens or sensor in the camera is sensitive to vibration, but I can bring it along and you can try it out. It doesn't have a long battery life though

but we'll have to be careful. Its heavier than a GPS unit and it wouldn't too good if it ripped off in a high G turn and went flying........
Old 5th August 2009, 02:16   #51
BHPian

By the way, Satya, I don't think any of these roads are the rally stage style roads we hit the last time. THey are all decent in the sense that they are marked with a yellow line down the middle.

Unfortunately, remote rally stage roads are almost always local knowledge and never shared and celebrated more widely. but I can try and find some along our route.

I didn't change the seat or the exhaust on the car since I need it as it is for track work and I might be hitting watkins glen in september, but I think I should definitely change the tyres to the AD07s....
Old 5th August 2009, 02:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
but we'll have to be careful. Its heavier than a GPS unit and it wouldn't too good if it ripped off in a high G turn and went flying........
Agreed. Unless we get a navigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
but I think I should definitely change the tyres to the AD07s....
Makes sense. We're definitely going to see some wet patches.
Old 5th August 2009, 07:34   #53
BHPian

and oh yeah. I have a piddly little 1.8L engine that makes about 138lbft . You have a 6.3L engine that makes 436lbft. If you're following me, have some mercy, it will be like a minnor racing to save itself from being swallowed by the shark on its tail!

Funny, two striped yellow targa top cars
Old 5th August 2009, 16:39   #54
BHPian

Well, (hopefully) for once, I won't have trouble keeping up with you.
Old 5th August 2009, 19:37   #55
BHPian

This is where we find out if going to the track helped me any

but seriously, do be careful. go at your own pace. the corvette is so powerful and so fast that it will very easily let you go much faster than you are capable of being able to handle and get into trouble.

Its not at all a dangerous car unless you lose discretion and then it very certainly is.

We both have to be careful. I have a short wheel base midengined car that, like all midengined cars, is not forgiving if you exceed the limits. If you lose it, it spins around in a lightning flash. I have spun on the track going 90mph. From the time that I realized that things were going to go wrong to the time that I was spinning like a top was an eye blink.

So I will be driving conservatively as always. However if it should turn out that my track expereince gives me an advantage and/or the Elise has a handling advantage that 400hp cannot make up, don't push yourself.

and should I crash, it would be good if you weren't following so close that you crash into me while I am in the process of crashing!

but seriously, we have 1500 miles to go and we should both pace ourselves so that we have a good safe weekend and not get into trouble (either or both of us), by getting into racing each other.

We are driving fast sports cars and we will encounter 1000km of non stop twisty roads. lets make it a fun safe weekend!
Old 6th August 2009, 04:48   #56
BHPian

@Harbir, don't forget your radar detector. And batteries of course.

Agreed on the "no racing" bit. And I'm definitely going to be careful with 430hp feeding 2 wheels. The closest I've been to this kind of power has been a 650i coupe (something like 350hp I think) - boy was that fun. Am keen to see how the corvette compares to it.
Old 6th August 2009, 05:37   #57
BHPian

the 650i has 40% more weight per horsepower than the Corvette.

You're in for a surprise.

I'll bring the detector. Where are we meeting?

Last edited by Harbir : 6th August 2009 at 05:39.
Old 6th August 2009, 05:50   #58
BHPian

Dunno. Am picking it up around 12 pm in downtown manhattan (Lower Battery Park Municipal Garage). Where do you want to meet up? Preferably somewhere in NJ? Maybe a rest-stop on 80 or something.
Old 6th August 2009, 06:26   #59
Team-BHP Support

enjoy!

Man, you guys are killing me here!
Enjoy fellows - would have loved to join you but can't get out this weekend.

I'm sure I'm going to miss a treat - an Elise and a Corvette racing away to glory.

When're you guys leaving - Friday / Saturday?
Old 6th August 2009, 07:32   #60
BHPian

We're leaving on Friday.

@Harbir, how about we meet here for lunch? Say around 1?

Dover Grill - Dover, NJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks