Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 08:55   #1
BHPian

Southeast Ohio and West Virginia Tour!!

OK chaps, there is a BIG HONKING tour. For the new york crowd, its 1450 miles.

Folks elsewhere, such as in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Michigan and the chicagoarea are invited to consider meeting up with us.

The heart of the drive is a 519 mile drive over the choicest twisties in the hills of south west Ohio and across into west virginia. I have selected the 5 best roads in ohio, and one really good one in west virginia and strung them together in a chain that adds up to 519 miles of windy stuff.

Those departing from New York should plan to depart about 1pm on Friday, to drive the 425 miles to lisbon for the night. Hopefully, we will get there by 9pm, have dinner and hit the sack.

The next day, we will have to cover 523 miles of twisties. We will hit Ohio 164, Ohio 258, Ohio 284, Ohio 555, Ohio 26, Ohio 536. from there we will cross over into West Virginia on WV 18, then onto WV20, and WV39. We will stop here for the night.

Sunday morning, we will take WV19 to I-79, I-68, i-70, I-81, I-78 to New York City, 502 miles on interstate.

I-79 is one of those rare interestates thats a wonderful drive because of the scenery and the windiness of the expressway.

On the second day, if 523 miles is too much due to breaks and stops, we will break early that day and load sunday more heavily. in that case we would break at Weston on Day 2, after covering 400 miles instead of 520.

Then on sunda morning, we will be able decide to head straight back to NYC (439 miles), or we complete the run on WV20, before heading back (623 miles)

Satya and I were thinking doing it the August 1 weekend. Its probably too short notice for most people, but if anybody wants to join very seriously and is willing to commit for a later date, we can definitely consider delaying. but please don't ask us to delay unless you intend to move mountains to keep your commitment.

More detail maps of the route to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Southeast Ohio and West Virginia Tour!!-wv-ohio.gif  

Southeast Ohio and West Virginia Tour!!-wv-ohio-end.gif  

Old 21st July 2009, 09:08   #2
BHPian

PS. a link that describes some of these roads

http://www.ohiorideguide.com/page7.html
Old 21st July 2009, 14:03   #3
BHPian

Looks like a real mile-muncher. The Aug 8th weekend will probably work better for some folks. I'm in for 1st or 8th. Either ways.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:13   #4
BHPian

August 8th works for me too!
Old 21st July 2009, 21:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Where is the rendezvous point..Lisbon..is that OH? Looks like 5 hours to get there from Indy.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Where is the rendezvous point..Lisbon..is that OH? Looks like 5 hours to get there from Indy.
Yup. Lisbon, OH. You planning on joining us?
Old 21st July 2009, 23:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

southwest ohio! (tubelight blinks).

guys, I can meet you at zanesville, OH if you plan a stop there. I will have to come from cincinnati, will ping some of you once you have made the decision to find out the expected time etc.

@Mpower, you are at indy?
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:01   #8
BHPian

Looking at the route, I see that US 219 is parallel to I-79. i have driven this road and found it quite good. Not a super twister, but a nice blend between being able to make up speed but also nice scenery, sweeping curves etc. Instead of going back west to I-79 after running WV 20, it could be worth going east to US 219 and then running up that to meet I-68 in Maryland.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:08   #9
BHPian

M Power,

Lisbon is the starting point of the twisty road tour so the New York crowd will arrive there Friday night so that we can start off the twisties first thing on Saturday morning. Folks wanting to participate in the entire run should plan on arriving in Lisbon Friday night.

I would prefer not to set up rendezvous for Saturday morning because we have far to go that day and it wouldn't do well to be waiting around till 8 or 9 or 10am for people to show up. THe idea is that we start rolling at 6am on saturday. If there is daylight left at the end of the day, we enjoy that to hang out, have a beer etc. Prefer not to waste daylight in the morning.

Vivek, We will be passing through Zanesville so you can meet us there. I'll try to work out about how much driving time it is from Lisbon to Zanesville, factor in delays due to breakfast, fuel, photo, chat stops, and approximate what time we'll be there. If you could make sure to be in Zanesville by then so that we don't waste time there, that would be brilliant.

Aah78, you said you couldn't do August 1. Can you do the August 8th weekend?

Satya, find and reserve a Mini cooper as soon as you can!

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd July 2009 at 00:20.
Old 22nd July 2009, 00:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Satya, find and reserve a Mini cooper as soon as you can!
Starting to look unlikely.

That place I was going to do it from appears to have a bad rep... Heck, even some other places I was looking at seem to have bad reps. What the deuce? Doesn't anyone run a good shop anymore?

Last edited by satyamenon : 22nd July 2009 at 00:41. Reason: Grammar
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:16   #11
BHPian

Dude, you're not going to have much fun over there in a G6. Try for a Nissan Altima or a Nissan Maxima. I've rented a Mercedes C300 from Enterprise a couple of times at a very reasonable rate.
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:37   #12
BHPian

Damn, my editing time limit expired. I was going to say:

By the way, Avis is now renting the new Camaro, with unlimited mileage!! And they rent the LT with the sticky performance rubber, not the LS with the all season tyres.

Not cheap though. THe cheapest in the area is at La Guardia, $537 if you pick up friday, 8/7, at noon and return the following Monday morning, $175 in taxes and airport surcharge for a total of $712.

Its probably the best sports car you can rent with unlimited mileage but $712 is still a lot of money so............

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd July 2009 at 01:40.
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
southwest ohio! (tubelight blinks).
@Mpower, you are at indy?
Yup, have my place in Chicago too but right now in Indy. Thinking of coming.
LOL tubelight for me as well.

Quote:
Dude, you're not going to have much fun over there in a G6. Try for a Nissan Altima or a Nissan Maxima. I've rented a Mercedes C300 from Enterprise a couple of times at a very reasonable rate.
@Satya
The most fun I've had with a rental was in a Mazda6 V6. Even though it was an auto, it handles better than many sports car and is a blast to drive. I think that was from Enterprise. Fusion is great too but Mini would be best.
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:59   #14
BHPian

Satya, dude!

You can rent a Corvette ZHZ from a Hertz location in Manhattan, for 3 days for $682 (inc taxes) with unlimited mileage!!

I rented this exact car 4 months on a business trip to DC. you won't be able to sleep for a week!! 436hp 6.3L V8 engine! Its a targa so the top comes off and stows in the trunk.

The ZHZ has the dual mode exhaust, with the flapper valve that opens when you start the engine or demand more power. It sounds AWESOME!!!

I am almost tempted to forget the lotus and rent the corvette myself!
Old 22nd July 2009, 02:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I am almost tempted to forget the lotus and rent the corvette myself!
If you do, wouldn't mind splitting it with you.

That way, you can get to drive the Lotus and the Corvette.

How's the CTS? When I was dropping off the G6, saw another customer drop off a CTS.

$700 is a little too rich for me... Will take some serious self psychological justification.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks