Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 13:50   #1
BHPian

2010 Singapore F1. Any other BHPians going?

Hi Fellow BHPians

Would be great if it will be possible to get connected to all those who are planning to go the the Singapore F1 this year. We could use this thread to connect. I have already booked the tickets (Race & Flight). Wondering how many travelling from this forum!! This will be my 3rd year and will be glad to assist anyone with any kind of queries.

Cheers!!
Old 26th April 2010, 18:35   #2
BHPian

Hi,

Nice initiative.

We are a group of 3-4 friends planning to go to sgp 2010. Could you also guide us on the best location to watch the sgp and also pointers on where to book air/hotel/grandprix tickets to get the best deal?

We can also plan some kind of group buy regionally (say bangalore/chennai/mumbai starters etc) and meet at the gp, if it would help reduce the costs/get best seats,experience and so on.

Really appreciate help on this.

For us it would be the first experience, missed out on the Nurburgring/Indianapolis in the earlier years.

Last edited by ramkris : 26th April 2010 at 18:40.
Old 27th April 2010, 00:28   #3
BHPian

Hi Guys

Glad to be of assistance! Lets get the basics first and then move on to the options.
  1. Firstly get your tickets to the race on www.singaporegp.sg . The "early bird" discounts are available only till 31st April so you still have some chance.. better hurry cause you could save upto 17% on the tickets. Try going for the 3 day pass as it turns out to be cheaper and the daily ones are yet to be announced
  2. The airline tickets should be done well in advance as the airlines wisen up to the event and jack up the prices!! Depending on which city you flying out of you may want to check the usual suspects Jet, Kingfisher, SQ or Air Asia (I havent checked Air Asia as available only from Chennai and I stay in Mumbai) Try geeting the night flights on Thursday if you planning on attending all the 3 days or the day flights on Friday. Remember the qualifying and race are scheduled for the evening and dayflights reach around 5 in the evening leaving very small window to check into hotels and then going to the stands
  3. Hotel bookings are best done earlier too as you can get better rates. I prefer hotels in the Orchard road area simply cause of it's central location and easy access to the MRT (train) stations the most economical way around. Taxis are good if you are a group of 4 and are gonna split the tabs. Some recommendations are Pan Pacific Orchard (around Sing $ 375 + 20% taxes) per day. Explore additional bed options if you dont mind the friend in your room. You can also explore Hostels and dorms if you on a budget. Try www.asiarooms.com or www.expedia.co.in (I prefer this as transactions are in Rs. and you need not bother with forex rates) for hostels you can try www.hostelworld.com the YMCA is one very good option if you get the bookings. Hotels are mostly effecient in all of Singapore given the strict regulations for hyegine irrespective of budget.
  4. Best seats to watch the race.. well that's a tough one. The first year I saw it from the Grand stand at the Start finish line ... the high point was the formation lap and the start when you feel the 20 V8 engines in your bones as they revv upp... and also alll the pit lane action as you are bang opposite the pits. But lemme warn you that you get very little of the racing action as the cars natural racing line is very close to the wall and you can hardly see them
  5. The best possible "seats" are the grand stands on turn 1 thru 3 as you get to see the cars rushing in at the start and all thru the race
  6. If you want to see some action on the braking bends and then accelration at the start of the straight the "esplanade waterfront grandstand" fits the bill.. I have my tickets for this year booked there.
  7. The best Value for money (VFM) though are the "walkabout" tickets where you can actually walk around the circuit and choose your spot. There are courtesy seats available at some locations but this is a great way of getting up close to the racing action
Hope this helps! Feel free to post any further ques guys!!

Cheers!
Old 27th April 2010, 18:16   #4
BHPian

Thanks, I appreciate the help. Will plan accordingly and update the thread on how it goes
Old 27th April 2010, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Thanks GM, We area couple of people planning to do so

What would be total out of pocket cost during your past visits ?
Old 4th May 2010, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

How could I miss this thread? Me and couple of friends are going. Have booked the Premier walkabout ticket plus the flight ticket to singapore. Finalizing hostels now. Plan is to head to Malaysia for a week after the race. So return ticket not booked yet.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:29   #7
BHPian

What's the best option for Ticket delivery during online purchase ? If I choose to collect @ the post office, will it be a problem fo the Visa ?

Also what would be the visa process. Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

@2theMax, I have opted for collection from the venue itself. I guess just need to go some time ahead of the qualifying to avoid any delay. Collect @ post office is not available during race weekend, so you'd need to have someone collect it for you much before the race.

I hope the printout of the confirmation + flight tickets would be sufficient for visa. Even I am looking for more details about the visa process.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:23   #9
BHPian

Thanks Jag, will choose the venue as suggested.

@GM : Any pointers to the Visa process ? Thanks.
Old 5th May 2010, 21:27   #10
BHPian

Hi 2theMax

As far as out of pocket expenses are concerned well it depends from person to person. Drinks aand cigarettes are very expensive in the city. That having said we friends always used to carry a bottle each into the city from the Duty free which is cheap. Have a few rounds in the hotel before heading out to the wonderful bars at Clarke quay area.Cigarettes are not allowed to be carried but you can carry opened packs for personal consumption. Taxi travel is expensive too but one can always take the MRT (Train) very cheap and convinient too. Food is pretty Ok in terms of the cost. Overall without feeling the pinch average expense for the day can be around 100 Sing $ (Current rate is around 33Rs.)

Visa Process :

Singapore visa is actually pretty straight forward. If you can provide copies of the Air ticket, copy of the Race ticket confirmation and the hotel booking apply for the visa around a month in advance. Other documents are the usual ones like copy of ones credit card, letter of leave from the employer if you in service, bank statement for 3 months (asked sometimes) You can try the following Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore for detailed requirements and procedure

Cheers!!
Old 6th May 2010, 09:47   #11
BHPian

Thanks Mate, Tickets booked @ zone 4. Hope to catch you guys at the circuit.

Hotels and Air tickets to go.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:31   #12
BHPian

What would be the Hotel checkout times in Singapore ? Is it 24 hours checkout ? say I land @ 5.00 am on Friday, will I be charged for Thursday as well ? Thanks in advance.
Old 17th June 2010, 20:16   #13
BHPian

Iam struggling to get Hotels, have you guys booked ?
Old 17th August 2010, 13:43   #14
BHPian

I also recently booked for the F1 race.

Air-Asia flights, Bay Grandstand 3-day pass and YMCA hostel accommodation. Gotta apply for the visa now, fingers crossed.
Old 17th August 2010, 19:02   #15
BHPian

I actually wanted to start a thread for this. How about a SG T-BHP Meet during the F1 weekend. I live in SG all Bhpians in in SG and anyone who will be here during the race weekend please let me know, I can organize something here.

As far as race, I have not bought the tickets yet, hoping to catch the race from my office. From where I get a view of 80% of the track.

Most Viewed