BHPian

+1 to flyingspur
+1 to Jiggy
+1 to leadf00t

Cannot make it today.

Issigonis - Have already messaged you.
Old 24th August 2010, 17:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

Dear Leadfoot, Flyingspur, Xehaust and Jiggy, we will do it again another day as well, thats a promise. Consider this a recce for that day

So guys 7:30 pm sharp at the Parking lot of the Crawford MArket, opp Badshah Cold drinks.

We proceed from there.

Vegetarians beware, there might not be a lot to offer.

Jiggy, in your condition you should not be thinking about food Get well soon bro!!

Bon appetite and Ciao!!
Old 24th August 2010, 18:29   #63

Sad news, I have a severe stomach upset all of a sudden. I was sooo looking forward to this!!
Old 24th August 2010, 23:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

Well, just because you cruel inhuman fellows couldn't wait for another day doesn't mean I was going to be left out.

Dippy, thanks a lot for the takeaway. The baida roti was awesome, and the jalebis are sitting beside my laptop. Time for dessert
Old 25th August 2010, 11:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Flyingspur...i just had breakfast but after reading that, dam am i famished all of a sudden! I really hope another chow trip happens soon enough
Old 25th August 2010, 11:52   #66
BHPian

Gogi/ Tejas / Dippy - post some pics guys.

CY .. serves you right... hehe just joking. Dont think of leaving me behind next time. See what my black magic powers are capable of.

What about tonite? Hogfest waiting.

Last edited by leadf00t : 25th August 2010 at 12:10.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:09   #67

Are we having another one soon. My tummy is mended and Roni is preparing himself already!!
Old 25th August 2010, 19:15   #68
BHPian

Next Ramzan eat - date?

Let's have another Ramzan expedition.
This will surely be the main course (with most participation)
The gourmet leads/navigators : please propose a date
Old 25th August 2010, 20:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Oh what a meal!!

Hi guys. (Pics later, as my camera is home).
A little report without pics.

Participants:

1) Tejas
2) Bolbolero
3) Issigonis and wife
4) Genesis
6) V-16
7) Rehaan
8) Rudra
9) Dippy
10) Paras
11) FrazerRazor
12) Srucegoose

Note the dominating participation of Bongs. Foodlovers!!

Also Spucegoose and Shaun (FrazerRasor) are lactose intolerant but spruce gobbles up ice cream and Shaun packs down Phirni, both milk products, faster than you can say Hospital!!

So we gathered at the designated spot and moved on foot to Qureshi Pehelwan's Sheekh stall. Almost shutting shop, thankfully he recognized us and immediately got the spit fired up, rolling the hot sheekh plates one by one (plate of four). We could have finished off his shop but we decided to move on to the 12 handi a lane away, which we had heard so much of.

on reaching the place we were told that we would have to wait around half an hour more for the place to start. Well it was 8:00 pm so we decided to move along to Bohri Mohalla for the khichda. We decided to cab it up and after great difficulty and some harsh talking we managed to get three cabs to get us there. I tell you something has to be done about these cabbies refusing to take you or even stopping. One almost ran over me and realizing this, he escaped just in time before the locals (and us) gave him a good thrashing.

Reaching Bohari Mohalla, one is immediately taken into the world of food. One is assaulted with all kinds of different aromas which make you relive the comic strip Archie and one feels like Jughead following the white wafts of aroma.

We marched to the Khichda vendor who was at his last portions. Still enough for us and a few more hungry people. At rs. 10/- per plate it is perhaps the most satisfying Rs. 10/- a non vegetarian will spend.

Khichda is made of broken wheat, dal,meat with some added spices, served topped with a dollop of desi ghee, a good squeeze of lemon and chopped fried onions with some fresh mint leaves.

*Wipes drool with a handy napkin*

Next to that was the famous Milk Sherbet. A glass with around 45 ml of concentrate that tastes like apple to some and butterscotch to some (i vote for apple), topped with milk and chopped fresh watermelon. If you are a sweet loving person, you can easily have a couple of glasses and forget the rest.

The next stop was the tawa roll guy. Hetre guys forget the Nan sandwich and go fof only the chicken Baida Roti, far superior than its mutton sibling), the Mutton Roll and tyhe piece de resistance here was the Tawa Bheja. Awesome. We must thank Shaun for reading the menu plastered obscurely somewhere on a hidden wall which spelt it out. This can be a one stop destination for food too. Tawa stuff, like rolls and baida roti, bheja and bhuna and also some tawa pullao. Im sure it was as good. The nan Sandwich was not up to my liking so ill avoid that the next time.

For the Vegetarians (Egg-e-tarians if you must), this place is good too. Paras had a nice, meatless potato and baida roti and seemed to enjoy it as well.

form there we staggered towards the Idris cold drinks stall which is a must visit. Partially because of the unique and refreshing drink flavours one can have but also because after so much varied food (oily if you please) on needs something cool to wash down. Idris is situated at Pakmodia street, diagonally opposite the famous Tawakkal sweet shop

The two brothers at idris are amongst the sweetest people i have come across. We had a field day trying out different drinks and at the end of it all he refused to charge us. "Aree aap log aate ho, woh hi badi baat hai" said one of them. No amount of reasoning could make them take any money from us. Im sure they are not reading this but a big Thank you to the Saifee Brothers anyways. God Bless you guys.

Situated right at the corner of Tawakal sweets and again opposite the Idris cokld drinks centre is Jilani Fast Fods. A hole in the wall place which i can vouch for. I have not eaten here (this place is only a year and a half old) but this old Chacha used to run a cart selling all the stuff he sells in his shop now, which was just outside the Idris shop. I have never had better kheema and gurda-kapoora (kidneys and sweet breads) than here. Also Chacha takes it upon himself to add his special touch to the dishes. We were too stuffed to eat here and have only discovered that this shop is owned by this sweet old man. We will kep this for the next time.

Form there we went back to the 120+ year old Taj icecream shop, situated right next to the tawa roll wala. Sitafal (amongst the best ive had), Mango and chocolate with roasted almonds were the flavours that we had. Fully satisfied but still not wanting to leave without the customary Malpua and Phirni took us to Noor sweets, a lane away, situated right in the heart of Chor Bazaar. What a different place Chor Bazaar looks at night. For those who didnt know this we are at all times a few lanes away from Chor Bazaar when in Bohari Mohalla.

The gentleman (i think it was Salimbhai) welcomed us and insisted we sit before ordering. fresh Malpuas drizzled with sugar syrup , Phirni (Kesari and plain) and Jalebis were ordered and devoured. I have pics and a video of the Malpua making process which i will upload tomorrow once i have the camera at the office.

Personally i dont like the taste nor the texture of the Malpua. It is on its own too oily and very unsweet for my palate. When eating dessert, it should be strikingly sweet like a Jalebi.

Once done from there out plans to go back to 12 Handi for main course had all blown away. We were Stuffed and only wanted to go home.

For our next visit, we should do only the 12 Handi and then head to Noorani Milk Dairy at the Minara Masjid for Malpua (if you must), Rabdi and the all time milk and fruit, chilled drink, Fruitella.

Long live the spirit of Ramzaan.

Come on next visit dates please!! (Sluuurrrppp!!)

Last edited by V-16 : 25th August 2010 at 20:15.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:44   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also Spucegoose and Shaun (FrazerRasor) are lactose intolerant but spruce gobbles up ice cream and Shaun packs down Phirni, both milk products, faster than you can say Hospital!!
Hospital??? You mean toilet

I don't know why everyone was hating on the naan sandwiches, i quite liked them. Ofcourse the melt-in-mouth mutton rolls were better. So good infact, that i had to wake up at 7am this morning to "do a cyrus".

Good to see some old faces from last years meet and some new ones too.

Few random pics taken at our last stop :

Mumbai Ramadaan Meets 2010 - 2 down! Next one 7th Sept '10-20100824-20.54.00-medium.jpg

Mumbai Ramadaan Meets 2010 - 2 down! Next one 7th Sept '10-20100824-21.41.11-medium.jpg

FrazerRazor, Issigonis, V-16, Paras211, Dippy (sitting), Genesis
Mumbai Ramadaan Meets 2010 - 2 down! Next one 7th Sept '10-20100824-21.59.45-medium.jpg

Sproocegoose, Frazer, Issigonis+wife, Paras, Bolbolero, V-16, Genesis's eye
Mumbai Ramadaan Meets 2010 - 2 down! Next one 7th Sept '10-20100824-22.00.16-medium.jpg

Mumbai Ramadaan Meets 2010 - 2 down! Next one 7th Sept '10-20100824-22.00.39-medium.jpg

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th August 2010 at 20:48.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Love the food there. Absoulte treat for all.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

I guess you've got a plan for the next one, Gogi, but do include the mutton rolls / naan sandwich / baida roti / jalebis in the next trip as well. I go there especially for those And I've NEVER been to Idris so I have to go there fo sho.
Old 26th August 2010, 04:29   #73
BHPian

Ive missed the last meet but i shall definately join ull on the next meet. when is it happening ?

P.s: if we have to go to 12 handi we should be at the table before 9 ( approx) as this guys gets sold out very fast i have heard. once i had gone at 10 and was told that all is over.

Last edited by zeeshan suleman : 26th August 2010 at 04:31. Reason: forgot to mention timing
Old 26th August 2010, 08:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

same question as everyone else - "WHEN IS THE NEXT MEET" ?? really looking forward to it ....& that foood ... droooooooooollll
Old 26th August 2010, 14:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
But ice cream is too good to miss, especially out here.
Loved the Mango.
I Scream Ice Cream!!

We must go again.

@ Rehaan: your phone cam is INSANE man....
mine isn't half as good

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 26th August 2010 at 14:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks