Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2005, 11:46   #76
BHPian

hello guys, i read the entire thread and i thoroughly enjoyed it. its very apparent that you guys had a great time. however i am very much concerned about the top speeds you are talking about. is it really safe to do 160kmph and more so race in a zen at that speed? or for that matter is it safe to do such high speeds indian roads. are the tyres designed to withstand such high speeds?
shouldnt we be more careful?

am i sounding like your gradma???
Old 15th December 2005, 13:08   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna

No , you are perfectly in line !!!
Old 15th December 2005, 15:30   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
however i am very much concerned about the top speeds you are talking about. is it really safe to do 160kmph and more so race in a zen at that speed? or for that matter is it safe to do such high speeds indian roads. are the tyres designed to withstand such high speeds?
The roads were not the usual Indian roads, this was a 4 lane highway, part of the golden quadrilateral. Most of the stretch where we sped, both sides were uninhabited, no danger of people crossing except when we were passing towns where we did slow down. The visibility was excellent.

Regarding tyres, some of us have upgraded tyres. But Zens running on stock tyres, I'll let the owners talk about it.
Old 15th December 2005, 15:43   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
The roads were not the usual Indian roads, this was a 4 lane highway, part of the golden quadrilateral.
i have been using this road for the past two years whenever i drive to bangalore. since it was under construction then, i used to take diversion at ranipet and then take kolar route. By the way, is the complete stretch from chennai ready?

coming back to the point, if everything is under control, then its absolutely fine. i was a bit concerned. thats it.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 15th December 2005 at 15:45.
Old 15th December 2005, 15:59   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
hello guys, i read the entire thread and i thoroughly enjoyed it. its very apparent that you guys had a great time. however i am very much concerned about the top speeds you are talking about. is it really safe to do 160kmph and more so race in a zen at that speed? or for that matter is it safe to do such high speeds indian roads. are the tyres designed to withstand such high speeds?
shouldnt we be more careful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
No , you are perfectly in line !!!
like i mentioned in my report the roads were EMPTY with visibility as far upto 0.5 of a km at any point..both sides were bifurcated with ur dividers and each side had two lanes..all drivers were responsible and capable enough to handle such speeds..so nothing to be alarmed about..and as far as the zens are concerned,speedo shows 160 so effectively thats 148kmph and the tyres are built for speeds of upto 180..so no worries either..as far as the question of our roads are concerned even a tiny needle could be noticeable on these roads,they were so fab,let alone people trying to make a dash from end to end on foot unless one is totally blind..

and one more thing i had to remind is these speeds in a zen i know are not good but anyone would prefer doing those speeds in a zen than a OHC unless u have shantanu or wolf behind the wheel..and if one reads ajmats signature ur sure to undersand what i mean..atleast zens handle pretty well if u know how to at the price they come at..

talking about which im sure wolf and shantanu would have loved to make it to this trip with their VTECs..well i suppose there is always a next time aint it guys..
hope i didnt sound like a great grandma to our grandma's here ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 15th December 2005 at 16:02.
Old 15th December 2005, 16:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Regarding tyres, some of us have upgraded tyres. But Zens running on stock tyres, I'll let the owners talk about it.

one zen had g3 potenza with h-rating tires... ...while th eother zens had s-rating tires with 180kph as the limit ...so 160kph was well within the safety limit
Old 15th December 2005, 16:14   #82
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

btw guys as promised my zens ready with the left side mirror..so u see i have successfully kept up my promise that i would do it before the next drive..now as far as the rubber is concerned need sometime bcoz my cars gonna be visting psychos garage shortly..so can only decide on the rubber once we have chalked out other plans..until then its stock rubber for me ...

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 15th December 2005 at 16:15.
Old 15th December 2005, 16:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

No, Tifosi, your concerns are well-founded and appreciated. I had my reservations about the stock tyre issue as well, but since temperatures were low and we were below 160, it turned out ok. Also, to be honest, the drivers of the stock Zens are pretty good behind the wheel.

FYI, the ratings for the tyres are made in Europe, where average road temperature is taken as about 20 degrees C. In India the temperatures are about double, so the speed ratings don't really hold good.
Old 18th December 2005, 11:36   #84
BANNED

Guys, It really seems u Bangy guys have amazing meets !! Really jealous ... Can someone tell me how does Satyas zens free flow sound ?? I too am planning a free flow for my zen from Mr.Psycho and wanna give him a sound as a reference ..lol !!!!

Keep the meets REVVING ...

cheers
Old 18th December 2005, 11:51   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Can someone tell me how does Satyas zens free flow sound ?? I too am planning a free flow for my zen from Mr.Psycho and wanna give him a sound as a reference ..lol !!!!
It's pretty complex process bro. You need to take the car to 100km mark..open the driver's door..hang yourself out of the car...don't bother about the traffic...slow down slightly if you can...go back to throttle again to hear that sound...

Psycho must have done this...you can check with him..however.
Old 18th December 2005, 19:47   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
It's pretty complex process bro. .
Khaadu, Here's the simple answer .. I was hanging around behind Satya at the beginning of the drive so I rolled down my window and listened to him.. I can tell you that Zen sounded like no other I have heard yet.. The sound at 100kmph+is quite amazing although it was not very deep. It lets you know that the car means business..

If you plan a free flow for your Palio, that would be something to listen to
Old 18th December 2005, 20:42   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Khaadu, Here's the simple answer .. I was hanging around behind Satya at the beginning of the drive so I rolled down my window and listened to him.. I can tell you that Zen sounded like no other I have heard yet.. The sound at 100kmph+is quite amazing although it was not very deep. It lets you know that the car means business..

If you plan a free flow for your Palio, that would be something to listen to
Hey, I guess I'll just have to trust Psycho and hope he gets the sound the way I want it . As for the Palio I allready have a free flow in it and Satya has heard the audio file that I sent to him. Its real deep ...

Cheers
Old 19th December 2005, 12:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

hahahhaha....i got that sound after 4 years of the free flow........yeah as rudra says ...to hear this soudn ..you have to hang out ...or drive precariously close to the wall inside a tunnel ....or very close to the bus....BTW rudra has promised to geta microphone the next time we go out....so the next time it will be rudra who will be hanging out ....

about the sound....there is no sound from 60-90 kph...and the moment i hit 3000+rpm ...it changes .....

the exhaust sound also acts the fuel tester ...as soon asi fill adultrated fuel on the highways the sound turns very harsh and loud...and whenever you get better fuel ...the sound gets refined...with reliance 98 octane the sound was less than that of a premier padmini ....

about khaddu's palio...the sound is nothing less than that of a WRC car ...and he is till not happy with it
Old 19th December 2005, 16:21   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hahahhaha....i got that sound after 4 years of the free flow........yeah as rudra says ...to hear this soudn ..you have to hang out ...or drive precariously close to the wall inside a tunnel ....or very close to the bus....BTW rudra has promised to geta microphone the next time we go out....so the next time it will be rudra who will be hanging out ....

about the sound....there is no sound from 60-90 kph...and the moment i hit 3000+rpm ...it changes .....

the exhaust sound also acts the fuel tester ...as soon asi fill adultrated fuel on the highways the sound turns very harsh and loud...and whenever you get better fuel ...the sound gets refined...with reliance 98 octane the sound was less than that of a premier padmini ....

about khaddu's palio...the sound is nothing less than that of a WRC car ...and he is till not happy with it
Hey, I think it sounds better in the audio clip than in real life ... I usually dont let any1 else drive so never actually heard it. Maybe I'll need to ask Sam for his opinion.

cheers
Old 19th December 2005, 16:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

open your hatch and drive ....you can hear it ...or jack up the front and put a stone on teh acclerator in 5th ...u can hear teh exhaust

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks