Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 19:36   #1861
BHPian

re: Next Tapri meet in Pune-6 January 2013 Breakfast, car demos & drive) at Chandni Chowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Dang, that means the Jazz would be out too :( Edit: selfish me!
Anyone been there of late, would it be that bad?
I have driven both these ghats many times on my mobike. They are always bad in the monsoons. For SUV's and Jeeps no issues so take a call with ur Jazz. As for me I will look for a free ride in a Jeep/SUV if that is on offer!
Old 8th August 2011, 19:38   #1862
BANNED

re: Next Tapri meet in Pune-6 January 2013 Breakfast, car demos & drive) at Chandni Chowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not to be a spoilsport, but has anyone traversed the route through tamhini ghat in the last few weeks? My colleague had been to mangaon three weeks back, and was cribbing about the road - full of potholes and he could only manage 30odd kmph throughout the ghats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Wht is the road condition of Varunda and Tamhini ghat? If bad then best to drive in Jeeps and avoid Civics and City with low GC.
Quote:
Dang, that means the Jazz would be out too :( Edit: selfish me!
Anyone been there of late, would it be that bad?
All your concerns are quite Valid , following areas will be bad ones ( as I usually see for the last 20 years of Varandh & the Last 8 or so of Tamhini )

1) NH 4 ( junction-- forgot the name ) to Bhor only 11 km >> recommended speeds max 50 kmph surface ok to slightly bad with tilts & bad patches .

2) Bhor to Varandh to Goa highway junction ( 5 km before Mahad --total 70 km approx) Bad patches very frequent , >> speeds 40 kmph max , some concerns for 'Low ' cars --- NEED to be careful

3) Tamhini top to Mulshi dam -- Bad -- hard & broken surface >> speeds 40 kmph max Again be careful with low cars ( total 40 km approx )

I dont think only Jeeps are needed though

Sudarshan
Old 8th August 2011, 20:50   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, i had driven to Tamhini last weekend. The road is not good, but it is not bad either. My Zen did not have have any problems. There are small bad patches in between, but on the whole its ok. Some little zig zag here and there will be required to avoid those potholes.

I'll be capitalising on the coming long weekend to head home and take a few days off, so will miss this meet.
Old 9th August 2011, 09:50   #1864
BHPian

I have recently done the Pune-Bhor-Varandha-Raigad-Mangaon-Tamhini-Mulshi-Pune trip. Date: 17/7/2011.

Got a few snaps to illustrate the beautiful Sahyadri Mountains.
Its superb out there in the Monsoons!

Sorry, dont have the pics of the roads, intention was the capture the scenery around us

As Sudarshan sir has rightly pointed out the major road conditions, let me give a few of my inputs from the recent drive :

1) NH 4 junction (Bhor Phata) to Bhor : Road surface average, a few bad patches. Nothing to worry about.

2) Bhor to Varandha Ghat: Very picturesque! Specially the scenery at Nira-Deoghar Dam. Roads are not that bad. A few bad patches. Saw a lot of cars (Alto, Etios, Lancer, WagonR, Swift) in this stretch. Had nice Bhajjis at Varadha Ghat.

3) Varandha Ghat to Mahad Junction: A lot of small to medium sized waterfalls on this journey. Very scenic. Average to good roads. Not a big worry. Had late heavy breakfast at Vitthal Kamat's.

4) Mahad to Mangaon (Goa Highway) - Best Road. But a little traffic. (NH17 of course!) Attraction: Hot Water Springs to check out on route.

5) Mangaon to Tamhini ghat start - Ranging from Good road to Average Surface (though not that often). Nice drive through the country side - Mountains all around.

6) Tamhini Ghat Start - Tamhini Ghat Top- till Mulshi : Bad Road! Gotta be slow and careful. But even cars could manage it. Saw a lot of Picnickers in their Honda Citys, Baleno's, Polos. I liked the natural beauty of this ghat better than Varandha. Simply because the sheer height of the Konkan kada & the massive waterfalls. Irony that the road is equally bad. Couldn't click many pictures because it was late in the evening and light was insufficient.
But trust me, its worth it.

7) Mulshi to Chandni Chwk: Good Roads, but heavy traffic in the evening.

My suggestion for the entire drive would be that do not spend a LOT of time at each Sections/ stops, due to the fact that we need to travel through Tamhini Ghat during daylight hrs - simply to enjoy the scenic there too + to gauge the bad roads.
This I say from our experience from the last drive.

Nira-Deoghar Dam
Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0275.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0276.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0277.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0278.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0279.jpg

Start of Varandha Ghat
Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0280.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0281.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0282.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0284.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0285.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0286.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0287.jpg

Flooded Savitri River - Mahad
Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0288.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0289.jpg

Near Raigad
Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0290.jpg

Tamhini Ghat
Next Tapri Meet - Pune-miniimag0293.jpg

Next Tapri Meet - Pune-imag0294.jpg

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 9th August 2011 at 10:00.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 09:55   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I have recently done the Pune-Bhor-Varandha-Raigad-Mangaon-Tamhini-Mulshi-Pune trip. Date: 17/7/2011.

Got a few snaps to illustrate the beautiful Sahyadri Mountains.
Its superb out there in the Monsoons!

Sorry, dont have the pics of the raods, intention was the capture the scenery around us
@Monaro - Are bookings open for a seat in your truck for the drive meet?

This is assuming that you are in for the drive meet. I am also in the tentative list as of now.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:24   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
@dot, if you are reading this, will your kiddo be joining us too? I have assumed you are coming for this drive meet
anyone else with kids joining in, let me know before hand so I can plan & shop accordingly.

Can some of us RE fans get a ride or two too?

You are most welcome!

Guys, I had mentioned the September Kaas meet to a few of you. It is being planned here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...hp-meet-2.html
You are most welcome @selfdrive + if there are more bullets with no pillion riders, others too are welcome. I’m sincerely hoping that I should be able to make it.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:24   #1867
BHPian

Quote:

6) Tamhini Ghat Start - Tamhini Ghat Top- till Mulshi : Bad Road! Gotta be slow and careful. But even cars could manage it. Saw a lot of Picnickers in their Honda Citys, Baleno's, Polos. I liked the natural beauty of this ghat better than Varandha. Simply because the sheer height of the Konkan kada & the massive waterfalls. Irony that the road is equally bad. Couldn't click many pictures because it was late in the evening and light was insufficient.
But trust me, its worth it.

Wonderful pics. I see you was driving in a SUV. Honda City/Jazz will take a lot of beating in the Ghats !!
Old 9th August 2011, 23:05   #1868
BHPian

Kinda OT but any off road events happening on 14th August?

Anvancy
Old 11th August 2011, 20:23   #1869
BHPian

Looks like everybody has taken a sabbatical from discussing the drive further.

Awe c'mon.. we can do dis.
All we need is some guts and glory!

Its not that bad as it looks.

@SD - we have other options too, right?
Lets bring them out.

@ Swann - Happy Goa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Monaro - Are bookings open for a seat in your truck for the drive meet?

This is assuming that you are in for the drive meet. I am also in the tentative list as of now.
Hey mate, you're always welcome!

I'm definitley in for this - coming with my LoH.

Edit: some of the guys were saying that it'll be difficult for them to commit one entire day for a drive. In that case we can also do a Lavasa Drive or a drive upto Cafe Paradise (Mulshi Lake). This way it will be half a day thingy. What say!?

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 11th August 2011 at 20:27.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 21:27   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Edit: some of the guys were saying that it'll be difficult for them to commit one entire day for a drive. In that case we can also do a Lavasa Drive or a drive upto Cafe Paradise (Mulshi Lake). This way it will be half a day thingy. What say!?
Thanks Monaro. But as of now it looks like i would be missing out the truck journey Would be travellling to Mumbai. But still keeping myself in the tentative list.

In all the posts the Confirmed/Tentative listing was lost. So copying that below again:

Proposed drive / Meet

Date: 21-8-2011

Time : 7 am ( departure) 6 pm ( arrival )

Route:
Pune > NH 4> Bhor > Varandh ghat > Mahad (NH 17 ? ) > Mangon > Tamhini ghat > Mulshi > Pune

Confirmed:
1. Sudarshan +
2. Mikon
3. selfdrive +
4. Swanand +
5. Monaro +

Tentative:
1. amitwlele
2. Subodh (keeping as tentative till he confirms, rather lands up for the drive).
Old 12th August 2011, 06:58   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not that bad as it looks.

@SD - we have other options too, right?
Lets bring them out.

@ Swann - Happy Goa!

The nano? wow, i am not sure I am ready for a bumpy day!
By the way, isnt your kiddo going too?
I agree that a half day trip could be better. I am not sure my son will be happy sitting around all day. If we go somewhere else, I will do this trip later, perhaps sometime in september, including Diveagar as overnight halt

edit: I have requested for a change in the title

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th August 2011 at 07:00.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:11   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

In all the posts the Confirmed/Tentative listing was lost. So copying that below again:
Thanks for reviving the list of attendees..

Quote:
The nano? wow, i am not sure I am ready for a bumpy day!
Haa haa .
That was hilarious!
Were you really thinking of getting the Nano for a 200km+ drive ?

Quote:
I agree that a half day trip could be better.
Ok lets get down to options then.

1. I propose a drive to Bhor-Bharghar dam - Varanda Ghats and back.
Easy!
Good roads..1/2 days work!
2. Feel free to add more options..

@ Sudarshan sir. Your inputs please.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:20   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haa haa .
That was hilarious! Were you really thinking of getting the Nano for a 200km+ drive ?

Ok lets get down to options then.
Easy!
2. Feel free to add more options..
@ Sudarshan sir. Your inputs please.
Why not?! the nano has taken us to Mahabi and back in fine condition. I am telling you that a round across the parking lot is not enough, try to drive the Nano a little more
I would be happy to bring the Nano if it was only me & wifey. My son in his car seat, gets a bit queasy in the Nano as it is bumpier in the back seat, especially in ghat sections.

Bhor ghat + varandha ghat return sounds good to me. What we could also do is those who can do a full day trip proceed to Mahad and return via Tamhini. Those who cannot will return from Varandha via Bhor.

If we want a destination in another direction we could think of Bhimashankar or Malshej ghat

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th August 2011 at 13:23.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:21   #1874
Senior - BHPian

I am going ahead for the Varandha-Tamhini ghat ride tomorrow. If someone wants to hitchhike/join me for the ride, you are welcome. Sorry for the short notice!
Old 12th August 2011, 18:13   #1875
BANNED

Quote:

Easy!
Think like this
Pune to Bhor 1 hr + Bhor to Varandh 1.5 hrs = 2.5 hrs
So total time will be 5 hrs ( Pune to Pune ) Add 3 hrs total of sight seeing & food breaks = 8 Hrs total & minimum ( not inclusive of departure 'Lates ' + ' Toll ' time etc )

Its not a half days work as it looks

If you want a half day trip choose journey time of 3 hrs total + 3 hrs of sight seeing & food breaks

Quote:
If we want a destination in another direction we could think of Bhimashankar or Malshej ghat
Hmmn , Bhimashankar ?? Its the month of Sharavan , So forget any Sunday, Public holiday & Mondays

& About Malshej ? well I wont Dare to join a bachelor's Rain Dance party ' With Family 'at-least

Sudarshan

Most Viewed