Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 20:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thread exclusively on Tambaram, residents please chip in.

This thread is exclusively for those who live near the Tambaram, meaning Tambaram East, Tambaram West, Selaiyur, Chromepet, Medavakkam and Perungalathur.

With all these places, it has got the reputation of being the second biggest suburb in Asia. (this is what I had read in The Hindu ages before)

Here are the my questions for you:
1. Which part of the Tambaram do you live among the areas mentioned above.
2. For how many years have you lived in this area? Do you think it has gone better over the years or has it gone worse?
2. Do you think life in Tambaram is better than what it is in city? I mean I have always seen all my friends divided on life in Tambaram vs City.Also provide you reason for liking hating living here..
3. What is your opinion about Tambaram being planned to be sepearated as a new City according the the new plan.
Do you think it will make life in Tambaram better or worse.

Finally, even those who are not necessarily living in Tambaram also do chip in on your views about Tambaram.
Old 30th November 2010, 21:58   #2
BHPian

Wow! Second biggest suburb! Well, I live in Medavakkam (Jayachandran Nagar to be more exact). Don't know if that technically falls under Tambaram, but close enough!

To answer your questions:

1. Medavakkam
2. Just moved here in June. Can't say over the years, but over the months the traffic and road situation has definitely worsened, especially if you want to commute to the city
3. As always, there are pros and cons to living here. The rentals are definitely cheaper, you get Shell fuel for your car . But all the happening places are in the city only, be it malls, theaters, movie halls or even the popular eating joints. One needs to go at least till Velachery to get a decent eating joint.

I work in MEPZ, while my wife's office is in Teynampet, so for her communting daily is a BIG hassle. Am considering moving to Saidapet or Srinagar Colony or Guindy or someplace. For the time being, we've hired a driver.

In addition, the sanitation situation here is pretty bad, the arterial Velachery Tambaram Main Road is good in certain places, bad most of the places, and pathetic in some.
4. Is there such a plan? Since already this area doesn't fall under the Chennai Municipal Corporation, don't know how much of a difference it will make. Can't really comment.

How about you? Where are your answers to these questions?
Old 30th November 2010, 22:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

As requested here are my responses:

1. I live in Camp Road junction.
2. Been here for almost 15 years. It has improved loads compared to what it was when I know this plan.
3. Well since most of my schooling has happened here I have got used to this area and prefer it more than the city life.
4. Overall, Iam happy if that happens but, already the realty prices in Tambaram have shot up in anticipation, which dampens my plan of buying a bigger house in this area.

BTW, sorry for the mix up with respect to question numbers.

Last edited by xingamazon : 30th November 2010 at 22:17.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad, I see so many members from Tambaram on various other thread, but no one has yet responded on this thread about thier experience of living in Tambaram.

Come on, guys do chip in with your views
Old 1st December 2010, 22:35   #5
BHPian

I live just near MEPZ. I moved here a couple of years ago.
Old 1st December 2010, 23:10   #6

Nice to hear from a BHPian nearby. Here are my details
1. I stay near the Camp Rd junction too.
2. Been around for the last 2.5 yrs and have seen things improve so far, but at a lazier-than-normal pace.
3. My office is closer to Tambaram, so prefer being here (after all, I work 5 days a week and it takes priority over other things)
4. New City? No way, let us not hassle ourselves with new red tape. Chennai Corp, with its vast experience will be better.

Btw, are us Tambaram folks planning a quick meet ???
Old 1st December 2010, 23:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Maxwell and @Barret

Thanks for the responses. Very happy to hear from a fellow BHPian in Tambaram.

@Barret: Like it or not Tambaram is going to become a city according to an article I read in Hindu some 2 months ago :(.

Regarding meeting, even I am game for that, we will just wait for a week and see if more people are joining this thread and will meet up somewhere in Tambaram.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:27   #8
BHPian

Wow, didn't know there were places to meet up in Tambaram!!
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

1) Nehru Nagar, Chromepet.

2) 50 years, from the day I was born. It has improved by leaps and bounds, of course.

3) That depends on which part of the city and which part of these suburbs you are comparing. The answer is both yes and no.

4) Huh? I think that was dropped after the city limit was extended till Meenambakkam? I don't think it will make any difference for the better or the worse. What additional facility will you get that you are missing now? We will pay additional property tax, that is all. May be the property value will go up further, if it is possible!
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:25   #10
BHPian

My wife is from Tambaram (camp road) and i studied in Madras Christian College (92-95).

We had a relative in Selaiyur whom we used to meet once every year during Xmas.

Tamabaram has changed (developed) a lot in the last 20 years but very slowly when compared to the growth seen in Velachery and Mogappair in the last few years. Property prices are stil cheap when compared to velachery (rs. 5000+) and Mogappar (rs. 4500+).

Tamabaram has always remained a middle class hub with Airforce and Railway officers settling there.

I love tambaram (esp east), maybe, because of the good memories of my college days.

Last edited by bnzjon : 2nd December 2010 at 10:27.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see two more joinees in to the club.

But sad that there are still many people who are yet to take notice of this thread :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Wow, didn't know there were places to meet up in Tambaram!!
Well finding a get together location will not be that tough, we can also meet up at Vasanth Bavan to the max..
Old 4th December 2010, 01:42   #12
NFS
BHPian

Tambaram BHPians, How are you all?

@ xingamazon: Thanks for this thread, and it was a pleasure to know that we have a good amount of BHPians in and around Tambaram City (too early to call so?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Gowrivakkam
2 a. For how many years have you lived in this area?
Last 1 yr.
2 b. Do you think it has gone better over the years or has it gone worse?
Not enough living experience to comment on this. Velachery was something like what is Selaiyur now. 2005 to 2010 Velachery is now London (for the cost of living at least). For me, wide roads, access to velachery (my office and kids' school), lesser priced property (compared to other options close to Velachery), Not much water logging as seen in Velachery, were some of the considerations made me move into this neighborhood.
2 c. Do you think life in Tambaram is better than what it is in city? I mean I have always seen all my friends divided on life in Tambaram vs City.Also provide you reason for liking hating living here..
"Home is where the heart is", for me I love this place for now, not sure if I would start hating this like Velachery (touch wood)
3. What is your opinion about Tambaram being planned to be sepearated as a new City according the the new plan.
what difference does that make? higher property tax? higher cost of living? more super markets and NO Space for parking? I would be happy to have some neighbors in our locality (most of the plots are empty and owners have no interest in building houses)

Do you think it will make life in Tambaram better or worse.
Not sure, fingers crossed. Hoping for the best.
we should meet... What are the possible eat outs around?
Old 4th December 2010, 09:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Here are the my questions for you:
Tambaram west, Mudichur road
2. For how many years have you lived in this area? Do you think it has gone better over the years or has it gone worse?
22 years, from the day I was born
3. Do you think life in Tambaram is better than what it is in city? I mean I have always seen all my friends divided on life in Tambaram vs City.Also provide you reason for liking hating living here..
+'es: My birth place, less traffic (not now though), cheap properties and I don't see any huge difference between city & Tbm. Maybe a couple of years ago, it would've mattered. But now, with the market catching up, I don't find any reasons for getting into the city, except for the good ol' Elliots beach
-'es: Poor roads. Really poor or worst. Both west & east Tbm have the worst roads.

4. What is your opinion about Tambaram being planned to be sepearated as a new City according the the new plan. Do you think it will make life in Tambaram better or worse.
It's almost a city by now Its for good, I believe. We'll be getting proper roads & good drainage systems in place. Not to forget the platforms getting bumped up.
BTW, I'm put up in Bangalore now. Missing home, missing Tambaram
Old 4th December 2010, 11:16   #14
BHPian

Hi,

I live in Chitalapakkam, for the past 6 yrs.
Old 4th December 2010, 14:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow guys, this is really great, I am absolutely delighted to know that there are around 8 TBHPians in my neighbourhood.
Of course, I did expect many people than this much, I am sure there are more. Of course we have few who are brought up here.

Anyway will decide on the meeting on Dec 15. Just making sure people take notice of this thread and more people get in.
We will take a call on the get-together.

Again, I am not talking of something in the scale of TBHP meets, we all can just meet up in some park in our neighbourhood and catch up for a chat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks