Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 17:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Well then I guess, I should mention why I say Rohtang is nothing as compared to other passes. You are right about the surface not being grippy, but other passes are tougher for a car like Alto because of really bad terrain. There are so many places which look like off-roading destinations. Tanglang-la from Sarchu and some parts of Ladakh - Khardung-la would not do good to the Alto's suspension and underbody. They would get a severe beating IMHO. Plus More Plains are also not really plains! But you are right, slush, and Alto would fare better.
None of the passes like Tang Lang La or Khardungla have surface worse than the Rohtang. I have done these more than once.
Only place where cars can have trouble is the sand traps on More plains, and also the sand traps in plains before Tso Moriri. Even these are okay as long as you stick to the track, and do not try hanky panky. A 2WD SUV will find it easier to get stuck in sand than a light car

Other issues are water crossings, but in August they often run dry(snow has melted long ago).
In 2009 Pagal Nallah near pangong was a deal breaker for cars, but now a nice bridge sits over it.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 01:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
no_enthu_da, make sure that +? is at the max +2 considering an Alto with the loaded luggage . No problems in Alto doing the stretch , just that it would need some real patience in crossing the rough terrain as we head up. Also we hope you have enough driving experience (long hrs driving) behind the wheels as the drive through the planes till Delhi / Jammu would just be monotonous.
sure JD! i won't have more than 2 passengers on the drive.

my daily commute is north of 65km (up and down), though i haven't done too many long distance drives. The longest I've done so far was around 400km done in 7 hours with breaks for dinner and tea. the route was Guhagar -> Chiplun -> Kumbharli Ghat -> Navi Mumbai via NH4 and then the expressway.

Quote:
Also hoping you are aware of the long list of stuff that you need to carry along with you for the terrain.
a list would be awesome! sorry i'm being such a newbie!!
i remember there are two threads by Samurai and Technocrat about "Long Drive Essentials". guess these would give a good picture of what i need to carry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
No_enthu_da (would love to know the game behind the name)... driving an Alto up in to the Himalayas is very much possible (HVK took his matiz when the roads were even worse back in the early 2000's but he's in a different league) and I have heard of a Nano expedition too.

The issue as JD mentioned to which I agree to is the drive from Mumbai to srinagar and back from Manali which would be the real chore but I guess the lure of the mountains will pull you through. So think no further and take the plunge...
for the meaning of my handle, i quote the blog http://noenthuda.com/blog/about. the blog is NOT mine, though i studied at the same insti as the owner of that blog (but for a shorter duration), and NED has become part of the lingo there
Quote:
NED (no enthu da) is a state of mind where you don’t feel like doing anything. You just want to do nothing, and you don’t even have the enthusiasm to do nothing.
i must clarify, i'm super enthu about the Leh drive!
i'm sure i'll pull through the monotonous parts of the drive without putting NED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually, given a choice between a 2WD MUV or an Alto, I would gravitate towards the Alto, or a M800. People do not give enough credit to this car. Its build very well, can be repaired just anywhere, and is a favorite among rural himachal populace. It will do the Manali Leh highway fine, esp in August when snows have melted and none of the nalahs have too much water. On many stretches it will do better than 2WD MUVs which sink in slush due to their weight!
Quote:
I would not recommend you to take your Alto for this kind of an expedition. Having traveled there on road, I agree you would not really need a 4x4, but Alto and its suspension would not be able to take the beating of the terrain.
Quote:
Well then I guess, I should mention why I say Rohtang is nothing as compared to other passes. You are right about the surface not being grippy, but other passes are tougher for a car like Alto because of really bad terrain. There are so many places which look like off-roading destinations. Tanglang-la from Sarchu and some parts of Ladakh - Khardung-la would not do good to the Alto's suspension and underbody. They would get a severe beating IMHO. Plus More Plains are also not really plains! But you are right, slush, and Alto would fare better.
tanveer and ess_a, you guys have left me totally confused!!
still, i think i'm gonna take the plunge and take my Alto out!
Old 20th May 2011, 17:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
still, i think i'm gonna take the plunge and take my Alto out!
That sounds good....guess you just put off the NED state
nix1976in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 22:39   #64
BHPian

Hello all,

I have been following this thread for some time. I think I have almost made up my mind to join you folks with my 4x4 safari. I hope you folks won't mind another car joining in.

JD: when you have time lets meet/talk over phone to workout some details

Cheers
-a
Old 21st May 2011, 23:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in

That sounds good....guess you just put off the NED state
Nikhil, JD & others, can u PM across your contact details? would love to meetup before the Leh drive begins!!

cheers!
no_enthu_da
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post

I think I have almost made up my mind to join you folks with my 4x4 safari. I hope you folks won't mind another car joining in.

Cheers
-a
Now thats some news And guess with you joining in we can't get lost anywhere (your tracking systems ) Wow , such a nice thing !!

Quote:
Nikhil, JD & others, can u PM across your contact details? would love to meetup before the Leh drive begins!!

cheers!
no_enthu_da
Why don't you join in for the next Pune Team BHP meet , due in a shortwhile . I bet you would meet some real petrol heads
jealousdiamond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:58   #67
BHPian

This is building up well. JD, we can always catch up on the expressway for some hot tea and vada pav near Lonavala or Khopoli or better still chat up on GTalk or skype. Lets all connect and work out the nitty griities...I tell you, we dont have much time, just 10 weekends to go
nix1976in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you join in for the next Pune Team BHP meet , due in a shortwhile . I bet you would meet some real petrol heads
sure thing! i'll have an eye on the "tapri meet @ Pune" thread.

Quote:
This is building up well. JD, we can always catch up on the expressway for some hot tea and vada pav near Lonavala or Khopoli or better still chat up on GTalk or skype. Lets all connect and work out the nitty griities...I tell you, we dont have much time, just 10 weekends to go
how about lonavla / khopoli this weekend?

in fact i'm planning on taking the car out on NH4 just randomly. we could have a mini-meet with a fixed destination maybe?
Old 24th May 2011, 10:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
This is building up well. I tell you, we dont have much time, just 10 weekends to go
Yay yay , this seems to be building up well .
Quote:

Coming to meeting up well I am tied with personal commitments till 3rd of June , would for sure plan after that
Old 24th May 2011, 15:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
catch up on the expressway for some hot tea and vada pav near Lonavala
Quote:
FYI , if you are already not aware of it ..

MUMBAI - PUNE MEGA MEET

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2363813
Old 1st June 2011, 11:16   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Sounds like a plan. I will firm up with my friends once again and also bounce the dates and tentative plan with them. I am good with joining the group at srinagar. Feels nice, guess Leh will happen this year.

Off to Shimla tomorrow for a family getway, will pick it up with my friends on monday. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers
Sid
Hi Jealousdiamond,

thank you for your PM. I am trying my best to convince my blokes here; the two had shared immense interest when I had shared the idea but they are yet to confirm. I hope my friends do not back out; it will be deja vu again. Hope to firm up the plans by this weekend. Will keep the forum posted.

Cheers, Sid
Old 1st June 2011, 12:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Hope to firm up the plans by this weekend. Will keep the forum posted.

Cheers, Sid
Thats a good news , would be better as you say " You guys are game " , greedy me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post

JD: when you have time lets meet/talk over phone to workout some details
Amit , hope the plan is still up . Do give me a call when you have time .

Tanveer , as per the updates have revised the itnerary keeping some buffer time . Please pardon my ignorrance and modify the plan as you think it should be .

We start on 14 th Aug from Pune / Mumbai .

Day 1: Start from Pune / Mumbai – Udaipur (Overnight stay @ Udaipur)
Day 2: Udaipur – Karnal (Overnight stay @ Karnal )
Day 3: Karnal – Patnitop (Jammu Bypass )
Day 4: Patnitop – Srinagar – Site seeing
Day 5: Shikara ride and maybe even visit Gulmarg and either stay at Srinagar or move to Sonamarg.
Day 6: Srinagar/Sonamarg - Kargil
Day 7: Kargil - Leh
Day 8: Leh, do some sightseeing and get the permits (Stay @ Leh)
Day 9: Leh - Wari La - Khalsar - Hunder/Diskit (Nubra Valley)
Day 10: Sightseeing in Nubra Valley (stay @ Nubra Valley)
Day 11: Nubra Valley - Khardung La - Leh
Day 12: Leh - Chang La - Pangong Tso, (Night halt at either Lukung or Spangmik
Day 13: Pangong Tso - Chang La - Leh
Day 14: Leh - Upshi - Chumathang - Tso Moriri - Korzok
Day 15: Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Pang/Sarchu
Day 16: Pang/Sarchu - Keylong/Manali
Day 17: Rest or arrive in Manali (sort of like buffer day)
Day 18: Manali – Delhi
Day 19: Rest @ Delhi / Jaipur(Rajasthan)
Day 20: Delhi to Mumbai
Day 21: Arrive in Mumbai

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 1st June 2011 at 12:52.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:30   #73
Team-BHP Support

Great plan jealusdiamond.
If you plan to visit just hunder and diskit, you can spend just one night in nubra.
Start from Leh at 6am - Reach Diskit by 10am.
Vist monastory, have lunch, relax.
Around 3pm go to the dunes, take camel ride etc, and but late evening return to your hotel.

Next day morning, you can have a nice drive back to leh.
However, if you are planning to spend 2 nights in Nubra (visit panamik or turtuk), you can start early from nubra on the third day, and go straight to "Tangste" over wari La,
In August Wari La is open, and its an easy pass with much better road conditions and traffic than K.Top.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:02   #74
BHPian

now that there are a sizeable number of people interested can we have a head count please also would like to know whethr the plans can be made from 1 sept to 22 sept as i am having friends flying down from london specially for this trip
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:26   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
plans can be made from 1 sept to 22 sept as i am having friends flying down from london specially for this trip
Understand the sentiments but late Sep in Leh / Ladakh , well it just might have a lot of surprises in store for you . To the extent what I have read/ heard wheather in this part changes abruplty so better not taking chances . IMHO , it becomes a 50-50 kinda situataion with Sep setting in .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks