Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Hi Guys,
Am starting a separate thread to enable those interested in making it to Leh this year to sync up and match up plans to check if we can bunch together for a drive to the final frontier.

The window I am planning for (13th Aug - 4th Sept) has 4 holidays apart from our standard saturdays and sundays so in a 11 working day vacation we get around 22-23 days off. I am planning this way ahead so that we can make any changes without haste.

Hope to hear from you all soon....

Regards,
Nix
nix1976in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 12:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Planning to do the same in mid-June 2011.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:14   #3
BHPian

Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Guess have posted too early....but if anyone is interested in the same window, pls post or pm me.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Guess have posted too early....but if anyone is interested in the same window, pls post or pm me.
>>>
nix1976in,

I am certainly interested in doing a Bombay-Leh run.
Do let me know the preparations required to be made; there are a few team-bhp-ians who have done Leh, who might like to do so again.

You are quite right when you say it is a trifle early to finalise but the window in terms of holidays-days seems just right.

Regards, drive safe
Old 1st February 2011, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hi Nikhil,

you can count me in. Think its a little early to plan but I guess it gives me enough time to plan. I plan to take my scorpio with few friends sometime this year. What's better than to be a part of a T-BHP convoy for my first trip to Leh.

Cheers, Sid
Old 1st February 2011, 15:22   #6
BHPian

Nix,

My plan is for 1st/2nd week of September b'cos the weather would be good, Roads would be better and the tourist rush would also be over which means that all the rates would come down

I'm going to Ladakh to take a break from the chaotic city life and the last thing I want is to see a big crowd in Ladakh

I will be happy to meet you all in Leh. If there are more like minded people joining in we can very well drive as a Convoy to Ladakh.

Cheers
Lloyd
Old 1st February 2011, 17:27   #7
BHPian

Lloyd,
I believe the season tapers off post 15th Aug and my main concern is the holiday window too. So 13th aug - 4th sept works well for me...let me know if you plan a couple of weeks earlier.

Nikhil.

Last edited by nix1976in : 1st February 2011 at 17:29.
Old 9th February 2011, 16:07   #8
BHPian

Hi Nikhil and all friends,

as written at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2237553 - count me in; though my dates are not fixed yet.

regards,

Pranav
Old 9th February 2011, 22:05   #9
BHPian

Sounds interesting.. Count me in tentatively and let me check with Khoj aka Tarun if he too would be game for this (which I think he would) - sorry for taking the liberty mate

I can accomodate 2 more folks from Delhi/NCR - interested members can raise their hands.
Old 13th February 2011, 08:42   #10

Hi Nikhil n Friends,
Having spent 2 years living there till october 2010, here are a few tips (though you guys are experienced!)
The window you selected is ok, but if possible, try and nudge it to a little earlier. September is a dicey month in Ladakh.
As far as the gear required, I'm sure you guys know everything that you need to. Only remember, no/hardly any service for tubeless tyres enroute, so it might be handy to carry tyres with tube there.
Please carry a stout rope or even chain if possible. I comes handy in the most innovative situations.
Never, ever, travel without food or water, high altitude can throw up quite a few nasty surprises.
The Drass-Kargil-Leh road (via Bodhkharbu) is being repaired. There was much progress last year, but snowfall is kinda late this year. What will happen while the 'Dozers work at clearing the snow will decide the current condition of the road. You can also take the Biamah axis - narrow road with nice bumps but in atleast an all-black-top condition.
Whenever stuck, confidently approach the fauji's for help. You can be assured of help ar signs which say "REC POST". These are basically automobile workshop detatchments for mlitary vehicles. But knowing the Indian Army, they also do help out civvies in distress.
Cross Zoji-La very carefully-a lot of widening work was on in October last year. But what the snow has done to it would be clear only by april-may when the snow melts.
Sorry for boring you guys, but just wanted to help!! (Enjoy yourselves out there)
And please remember : In the Land of the Lama, Dont be a Gama!!
Regards n Peace
B
gunnerbala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2011, 13:30   #11
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Am given to believe that bookings for accomodation in Ladakh in August needs to done latest by March. Is this true? and If yes, what are some of the better stay options in Pangong, Leh, Tsomorri and Nubra? Pls provide any contact numbers or websites that you may know.

P.S : Am going with my wife...so prior bookings are imperative.

Regards,
Old 21st February 2011, 14:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

No, you can actually go there after 15th august and walk into any hotel you choose. Season starts ending by Mid august.
August-September are the best months. Minimal rain or snow, best road conditions, and zilch chance of passes getting blocked(barring freak events)
Old 1st April 2011, 11:55   #13
BHPian

Guys,
Am in the process of firming up plans for the Leh jaunt. Just thought of bumping up this thread to check if anyone is going to be on this route on the said dates so that we can sync up.

Regards,
Nikhil.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:29   #14
BHPian

^^ Nikhil , Hope the above post isn't a April Fool stuff .
Anyways , I have been keeping an eye on this thread since you posted it way back couple of months back . I am interested in this window , working in the IT sector with crunch on dates and be joining in with a couple of friends if that doesnt bother you much .

Please PM me your number and we can talk further .

Just mentioning the details a bit further as Nikhil has planned :

Leave days :
16-19 Aug (4days)
23-26 Aug (4days)
30 Aug (1 day)
2 Sept (1 day)

This makes it a window of 23 odd days with only 10 official non working days (leaves) .
Would be posting in a itnerary shortly .

Guys , please start chipping in .

We are 3 guys planning to do the above said in a Safari starting from Pune .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 25th April 2011 at 17:59.
Old 27th April 2011, 05:18   #15
BHPian

I am going to start my journey on 4th June. I am awry of August rush. If anyone interested to join in for June 4th start day please let me know.

plan/route details are Sanjay Upadhyay: Trip to leh - Planning Phase
comments section has the updated route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks