Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 16:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo - 54000 Kms - Engine Issues!!!

Xylo has been rated as the best SUV / MPV by Hindustan times today - a real surprise dont know on what basis it scored over an Innova, Toyota quality and reliability is far superior to Mahindra.

My Xylo had done 25,000 KM in two years, I sent it for 2nd service with a complaint to Sterling Motors Gurgaon that the AC wasn't cooling enough from day 1, and to have a look at it.

After two months of use in October 2009 they had taken in the car for about 10 days and said they have changed the evaporator, AC gas bottle and installed heavier wiring so that the AC does not trip as it used to.

Next summer of 2010 the car was hardly used. This summer once again there was cooling problem. I turned in the car on August 2. During the check in inspection thet said a retro fit under warranty will be done a larger AC fan has been fitted in many other Xylo E6 too.

On August 8 I was in Hyderabad when I got a call from Sterling Motors that one of the Intercooler brackets is broken and the engine would be very noisy. I said I dont know the engine is not noisy I will check. I went to Sterling motors on August 11 and spoke with the service managers, they said earlier models came with 3 brackets now its been improved to 4 brackets they would change the intercooler. I said fine they said it will be done in two days.

On August 30 I got a call to come and take the vehicle, the total bill is Rs. 20,700. I was in Patna for Eid holidays but I went there on September 5 and asked for the job card and Pro Forma Invoice. It said Rs. 13,000 for serviceing the AC ? Serviceing the AC ? It is warranty repair. Rs. 2200 for gas and the rest for what ? That is the price Sir said the service advisor.

I went to the service manager who said it is warranty repair so there will be no charge, I said lets inspect the vehicle. We opened the hood, called the service crew and enquired on the work done. AC Fan - not replaced. Intercooler not replaced. Battery totally drained out the ognition had been left turned on for many days!

The service manager was apologetic and asked for two more days - It has been two days lets see what turns up nest. So much for the professionalism and Mahindra service standards!
Old 8th September 2011, 09:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Xylo has been rated as the best SUV / MPV by Hindustan times today - a real surprise dont know on what basis it scored over an Innova, Toyota quality and reliability is far superior to Mahindra.
==========
So much for the professionalism and Mahindra service standards!
WOW that is truly something desertfox. The issues i have had with my Xylo AC was that everytime i drove to places like kerala from Bangalore where my AC would be on all the time then when i get back i get a hissing sound at times when i on the AC or at times the compressor starts and the cooling was pretty bad once i got back. Mahindra kept telling me that its a gas leak and a refill should be ok. each time they used to refill the gas in warranty. Finally after a few times of repeating this i told them that they need to have a permanent fix for this. They had the car for 2 days and said they fixed a leak in the AC. Issue was not seen anymore.

Then after finishing one or two services after that suddenly when the car was being dropped back to me, the service adviser said the AC seems fully blocked and that some work needs to be done. I drove the car and didnt notice any difference. They said the evaporator needs to be changed and that its a full days job. Gave them the car sometime later and they took a day more and when i got the car back the AC was blowing lot better and lot cooler. They said this is how it should actually be. I was very upset that for about 40000 kms not one person mentioned this to me and now they mentioned it. But anyways currently it seems fine for atleast the last 10000 kms

If Mahindra gives you anymore trouble, i would recommend emailing customercare@mahindra.com with your concerns. The mail goes to some very higher up in Mahindra Customer Care. Do let us know how it goes.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:31   #48
BHPian

hi all,
cross-posting the update : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2515967
Old 11th October 2011, 15:33   #49

Hello Guys,

Just to add to the thread my experiences with Sep 2009 Xylo E8. Off late I find the vehicle spending more time at the garage.

During the previous service of 35k, it had a hard steering. Upon complaint, steering rake was replaced under warranty.

At 38k, when I was driving back home from office engine stopped with a yellow warning lamp in dash. The scariest part was, i was about to turn to a gradient and when the engine is shut off neither the steering nor the breaks work. Other observation was, If I accelerate above 2000rpm the warning light is shown and engine shuts off. I had to travel 15kms under 2000rpm to ensure this does not happen.

Finally managed to get to SKS Bannerghatta Rd, Blr for a rectification and they were referring to bad fuel/fuel lines clogged etc. After a days test, they have figured it to be a metering unit failure on the fuel pump. I have been assured for the replacement of the pump and Xylo has been in SKS now for 5 days. Delivery expected today.

Will update once its back.

Cheers, Gautham

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2011 at 17:41. Reason: Please stick to 2 smilies per post. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2011, 15:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautham.mg View Post
Hello Guys,

Just to add to the thread my experiences with Sep 2009 Xylo E8. Off late I find the vehicle spending more time at the garage.

During the previous service of 35k, it had a hard steering. Upon complaint, steering rake was replaced under warranty.

At 38k, when I was driving back home from office engine stopped with a yellow warning lamp in dash. The scariest part was, i was about to turn to a gradient and when the engine is shut off neither the steering nor the breaks work. Other observation was, If I accelerate above 2000rpm the warning light is shown and engine shuts off. I had to travel 15kms under 2000rpm to ensure this does not happen.

Finally managed to get to SKS Bannerghatta Rd, Blr for a rectification and they were referring to bad fuel/fuel lines clogged etc. After a days test, they have figured it to be a metering unit failure on the fuel pump. I have been assured for the replacement of the pump and Xylo has been in SKS now for 5 days. Delivery expected today.

Will update once its back.

Cheers, Gautham
Hi Gautham, Could you pls update us on how your car is doing??? From this mail thread you can see that my car too has spent a lot of time at the mechanics..... And i had the worst time at SKS Bannerghettha.....
Old 17th October 2011, 11:23   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnypt View Post
Hi Gautham, Could you pls update us on how your car is doing??? From this mail thread you can see that my car too has spent a lot of time at the mechanics..... And i had the worst time at SKS Bannerghettha.....
Hi cinnypt, got my vehicle back from SKS with metering unit getting replaced on the fuel pump. Seems like they have done a descent job and engine noise has surprisingly come down. Would be travelling during the following week during diwali, would update you on the performance.

SKS Bannerghatta is giving me good service. I am in constant touch with Ramesh, Service manager.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautham.mg View Post
Hi cinnypt, got my vehicle back from SKS with metering unit getting replaced on the fuel pump. Seems like they have done a descent job and engine noise has surprisingly come down. Would be travelling during the following week during diwali, would update you on the performance.

SKS Bannerghatta is giving me good service. I am in constant touch with Ramesh, Service manager.
Hi Gautham, lets hope your issue is resolved. With SKS, Bannerghetta, i was in constant with everybody who was a somebody including the CEO of SKS. I know Ramesh pretty well too.
Old 7th December 2011, 18:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
...and plus do a Maxi Care Treatment free of cost (Anybody knows what this is??)....
Cinnypt: hope your Xylo is doing better now...

You mentioned in your April post about Maxi Care under chassis treatment. did you get it done? has it been useful - any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 14th December 2011, 10:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Beejay,

About the Engine issues, Higher ups from Mahindra are all involved. I am constantly in touch with head of Customer Care India, Sanjoy Gupta And a K Ravi who is the South Zone Head and a Suresh Kumar who is the Head of Customer Care Karnataka and a Mr Satish Kumar, Customer Care, Bangalore. They have all made it very clear that the technical team called the techliner from Hyderabad and the Tech hub from Mumbai are on the job.

Cinny
Hi Cinny, hope your Xylo is doing better now. I too have similar issues with engine power, suspension etc. I bought this in April 2009 and have done 40K so far. I have been reporting these issues in the last couple of services but the issue comes back after few days .Last time they replaced air/fuel filter but the power issue is resurfaced now and I am not getting proper support from the local service dealer (MPL Chennai). I have already sent a mail to 'CUSTOMERCARE@mahindra.com' and have been told that their Chennai customer care manager will look into it. However, there is no further response since last week. For the last service they have charged me about 15k but the issue still remains same (unfortunatley these issues cropped up just after the warranty was over)

It would be great if you could share the email or contact details of mahindra higher ups (south zne) so that I can take it up to the next level
Old 14th December 2011, 11:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb

Cinnypt: hope your Xylo is doing better now...

You mentioned in your April post about Maxi Care under chassis treatment. did you get it done? has it been useful - any thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi ajit,
The car is performing as usual. But I still don't seem to be getting a mileage more than 10 in Bangalore with a/c. About the maxi care, didn't notice any changes. Don't think they even did any chasis treatment. But currently my car seems to be giving suspension issues. Lot of work need to be done for suspension

Anybody else having issues with xylo suspension early? My car has clocked 70k kms now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th December 2011 at 11:10. Reason: Dotty post, please use proper punctuation and avoid typing like this.... Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 12:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi Cinny, hope your Xylo is doing better now. I too have similar issues with engine power, suspension etc. I bought this in April 2009 and have done 40K so far. I have been reporting these issues in the last couple of services but the issue comes back after few days .Last time they replaced air/fuel filter but the power issue is resurfaced now and I am not getting proper support from the local service dealer (MPL Chennai). I have already sent a mail to 'CUSTOMERCARE@mahindra.com' and have been told that their Chennai customer care manager will look into it. However, there is no further response since last week. For the last service they have charged me about 15k but the issue still remains same (unfortunatley these issues cropped up just after the warranty was over)

It would be great if you could share the email or contact details of mahindra higher ups (south zne) so that I can take it up to the next level
Hello, Regarding email or contact details of higher ups involved, when you send a mail to "customercare@mahindra.com" the email goes to everybody in customer service. It also goes to K. Ravi who is the head of Customer Care South Zone and also to Sanjoy Gupta, who is the head of the Customer Service. I would recommend you to write back to the same email about the poor response and your feedback. Since lot of big people are in the loop the Customer Service head of Chennai will be under pressure. Let me know how it goes.

Could you please detail the problem you are having with engine power and suspension? And another thing is that i do agree with you that once the free services are done the maintenance is very very expensive...... Almost every service i gave after free service was 5k or above....
Old 20th December 2011, 14:15   #57
BHPian

Thanks cinnypt. Finally I got a response from the mahindra regional customer care manager who called up and requested me to take the vehicle once again to the service centre. Here's the current status

Engine power - The issue was found to be a with clutch. They did some adjustments with the clutch and the issue looks to be gone now

Suspension noise- They did some lubrication on the suspension, and the noise is not noticable for the timebeing

Noise from the steering box - According to them, the noise is due the ac pipes brushing each other inside the dashboard and they will need atleast 3 days to remove the entire dashboard and rectify the issue (not sure what exactly they are referring to). The service engineer suggested that the issue is not serious and i can get it done whenever i fine time to leave
the vehicle there for 3-4 days !!

So currently the vehicle is with me and apart from slight noise from somewhere within the steering box/dashboard (its not continous and comes when you turn the steering at slow speeds) , it looks to be fine now. Planning to take it up with them after I am back from vacation.

PS; This time they did not charge anything. I guess I have already overpaid them
Old 20th December 2011, 20:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Thanks cinnypt. Finally I got a response from the mahindra regional customer care manager who called up and requested me to take the vehicle once again to the service centre. Here's the current status
----------------
PS; This time they did not charge anything. I guess I have already overpaid them
Glad to hear the good news. Careful about your suspension, I have had a lot of issues with the suspension since the start. Once they lubricate and give back it is fine for sometime, but the noise starts again. Hope yours is fixed more permanently

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th December 2011 at 20:37. Reason: Dotty post, please use proper Punctuation instead of typing like this... Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:01   #59
BHPian

Quite scary to go through all these issues here regarding the Xylo.

I have an Oct-09 E4 with 40K on the ODO. Have taken it for long vacations to Kerala (all thru K'taka, T'nadu), Rajasthan (all the way to the Pak border at Longewala) and recently to Ladakh for 20 days apart from numerous 400-600 kms drives around Goa, KA and in MH. Have driven well over 1000kms a day thrice till now and have had 3 trips over 5000kms over 15-20 days each.

Touch wood, but have never faced a single issue till date, no power loss in the high Himalayas, no suspension niggles on the patchy roads and no undue rattles or squeaks as yet.

There was one rather scary incident with the Xylo at the high pass of ChangLa near Leh at 17,000 feet. The car was moving perfectly over the horrible roads and was tackling the steep gradient very well when all of a sudden on the last turn before the ChangLa summit, it just died...just totally, completely shut down. I feared the worst, blamed it on my wife for keeping the music going, also realised that the in-car fridge too was kept on and as was the AC for most of the climb (its a psychological thing...I need the ac on when I get in the car even if its snowing outside). Opened the bonnet to find out that one of the battery connectors had come loose, fixed it back on..a few thuds with a stone and the car cranked to life and we carried on as if nothing happened.

The only time I had a puncture was in Amritsar on Independence day 2011. The culprit seemed to have been a bone fragment!!...maybe I drove over a road kill (read a dead dog) the day before and the bone got lodged in the tyre.

The only time my vehicle was at the service station for more than a day was when the M&M guys had an issue with the car lift and my car was stuck on their second floor for 3 days.

Have claimed insurance once when I scraped the right hand (driver-side) door while parking and damaged the side mirror and dented the door. Got the job done in 3 days with full claim.

Apart from this, there are minor niggles like
1) The driver seat not anchored well enough, it tends to rock a bit.
2) Passenger side front door has a minor rattle from time to time
and 3) Wiper fluid container developed a leak during my last trip, had it fixed from the M&M in Leh but it cropped up again on the way back. (hopefully fixed now)

I have been meticulous in adhering to service schedules and oil changes but have done little apart from that. City Mileage is around 10-11 rising upto 14 on the highways which is good as I consider myself to be quite an uneconimical driver. Engine sounds as smooth as it did on the 1st day and suspensions too dont seem to have detoriated a bit.

So, all in all, I maybe have been plain lucky but just have wonderful things to say about the Xylo.

Cheers
nix1976in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 01:14   #60
BHPian

short of writing skills, just putting down my recent experience:

ODO was ~39200 KMs and I had scheduled a workshop visit on 7th Jan'12, had some tasks in mind.
  • Parts: Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Maxi Coolant (1ltr x 4) replace, Maxi Diff Oil 80W90, Bosch Dot4 Brake (&Clutch) Oil replace, misc - Rs.3877/-
  • Service: above, brake disk & drum cleaning, washing, etc - Rs.1373/-
  • Total - Rs.5250/-
Engine oil was top-up, I had some spare ~700ml since the last time replace.

Left Head Light assembly was replaced (u/Warranty), since leveler motor was fault. Note, in my last visit few weeks back, when they were replacing this part, the newer one's motor was also faulty! Even this time, the first (new) unit motor wasnt working and the electrician checked all wiring and then arrived with another unit which worked well. The focus of both HL isnt perfect, so I asked him to adjust manually. Using a right allen key, you can typically adjust the focus with the screw on the HL assembly. But he advised not to touch that screw since that may actually damage the motor's lever! So be it.

under the engine bay, the Power Steering Oil tube was found having minor leakage, but oil in container wasnt going down. unfortunately, the part was not in stock and hence flagged for next visit!

I have even reported that during these (winter!) days, at morring on the first start the engine made weird noise (like belt squeaking) till it was idled for a min (warm) and same when shutting down after even a long ride (after idle, turbo!) - but belts were checked and no issues. they suspected some other friction, maybe foundation bush, but asked to check in detail during next visit.

For the suspension & steering noise, they just lubricated - but this doesnt solve the problem. Anyways, this time I had deliberately asked not to open suspension first as that takes long time and maybe other tasks would be left incomplete.

After the payment, trial was taken and all seemed well. It was around 6.30pm when I left, since the clutch paddle was also tuned & lubricated, it felt different; the brakes were firmer due to cleanup. Suddenly I felt the gears became hard and clutch half depressed (play). Driving for a while and it started becoming normal. I immediately sms'ed this incident to adviser. A wild thought passed my mind, the newer oil had a hiccup!

Next day was 8th Sunday and while returning after heavy lunch at a nearby resort, the gears again became hard. I called the adviser and he asked to shutdown engine & then check gear - it was smooth; but on engine start it became hard! Somehow I managed to get the gear and rather than waiting long for a recovery van to come, I just drove (25km) to the workshop to get it attended. Initially thought remedy was to remove clutch oil (xylo has single compartment for clutch & brake oil, same dot4 lube) and bleed (pump) ensuring no air bubbles. But this didnt work and Clutch Master Cylinder was found faulty, replaced u/Warranty (~Rs.1300 printed on box). Thanked the guys for the timely help.

I had barely driven 200 meters, and suddenly the vehicle lost power! In 1st itself, I pushed the throttle paddle, RPM went high, but car moved very slow lifelessly. Called again the adviser, who was also on his way home and was asked to come at workshop. The initial checks were done, battery disconnected for a while to reset the ECU(?) dynamic parameters, air filter compartment checked (newly replaced), but all vain. The smoke was smelly. On high revs, the engine knocked. It was agreed to leave the vehicle and would be attended the next day.

Maybe this is the first time during Xylo tenure that without my presence, the vehicle was attended ! Mon 9th & Tues 10th, I had called to check progress: main sensors checked and turbo was opened, found OK. Tuesday evening the workshop manager called me understanding my the difficultly of commuting without vehicle. He had taken approval from M&M, arranged a standby Logan with Driver, for my daily commute till my Xylo was up. This was a very nice gesture.

11th Wed: Logan with Driver at my residence.
12th Thurs: same. Evening I got a call and was updated that EGR and Modulator both were replaced (u/Warranty). In my next visit, for ref would ask the cost of parts.
13th Fri: with the Logan, morning itself I went to workshop and got my Xylo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2517639 : I had shown the pic of Drop Type EGR. honestly now Im confused of the exact type in Xylo; turbo ?!

Bypass Valve India, EGR Vacuum, EGR Cooler bypass Valve - Padmini VNA : some EGR and Modulator

I spoke to Tech Specialist: they had to replace the EGR and Modulator both simultaneously, since replacing only one wasnt doing well. I referred of some minor ggrrr noice (since day-1) during acceleration (occurs sometimes, random) on which he said thats just normal due to EGR diaphragm operation.

to further share, I have noticed since 2 days, the morning noise hasnt occurred !

regards,
Pranav

Most Viewed