Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 13:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ikon(1.3) Stalling when Driven hard for long

Kumar, do you plan on getting the fuel pump replaced at the dealer? I am sending you a PM with a number of a guy i know who supplies spares for multibrands. Check with him, and use the name i have given as reference. If he can source the fuel pump for you, you can probably get it replaced at Sejal Motors, link of which is given above by Pankaj.

P.S. : I have no commercial interest with the person/shop mentioned.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Is it possible to source Ikon parts from somewhere in bangalore?
Yes, contact benny "benbsb29" or "Condor" or first read through benny's ownership thread, you will find the infor there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Again, if you have to replace it, like pankaj_sachdeva, get the Motorcraft one, which I assume is the OEM for Ford, from outside. It will cost you only half the price. IIRC, benny had changed his 5k worth ignition coil for just ~2.5k outside A.S.S.
As Dhanush has mentioned here, source the part from outside, it would be easily available and can be installed outside too.
Benny has recommended "Sejal Motors" in the Bangalore directory thread, try contacting them and enquire about it.

EDIT: Just saw benny's post. Hope it helps.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:41   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot Benny and others.
I stopped the A$$ from changing the fuel pump. When i went to collect the car, the SA told me that it is just the FPR (Fuel pressure regulator) that needs to be changed) but Ford would ask for complete Fuel pump change. I believe i can get the FPR easily from outside, would not cost much. Before trying to get it from outside i would ask few other Ford centers if they can replace the FPR alone. Saved unnecessary spending of 11k. Thanks.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^^hey Kumar,
Please do update the thread with the price of the FPR and where you get it done after your issue is resolved.
Will help us in future as and when the need arises.
Old 15th June 2011, 21:59   #20
BHPian

Problem resolved, at Bosch car service - Whitefield.

Diagnosis : Fuel pressure was checked and was found to be ok.
Then the car was given throttle (without gear) to take it to 6k rpm. With 6k rpm for 15 seconds the rpm started stalling. Looking at this symptom the guy was of the opinion that the issue was definitely fuel pump related.
The Fuel pump was dismantled. We could see lot of rubbery kind of stuff, burnt and stuck onto the diaphragm kind of structure at the tip of fuel pump, the thing that attaches with the fuel rail. He suggested that it is better to clean this mess and try if it works. He checked with another guy there and he also thought the same. He told that if that doesnt work then only then would go for a fuel pump change. But we were kind of sure that this dirt was the culprit. He pressure (air) cleaned it and installed everything back. And it worked. We re-tried the 6k rpm hold thing, and it continued for a long time.
Cost : 600/- as labour charge

The guy told me that the fuel tank was never opened as the factory seal was still intact. This was contrary to what Ford guys told me a couple of months back, that they dismantled the whole thing and found that Fuel pump was at fault. Now that i recollect, i was charged 350 bucks a couple of years back, for petrol tank cleaning ( i requested for it).Pure cheaters, but not much of a surprise there.

Overall, i am very pleased with the attitude of these guys; Mr. Bharat who was the owner cum expert there and Mr. Soma Rao who was key in the diagnosis process and carrying out the work.
By the way, they have Bosch fuel pump for Ikon which costs around 6k and the ford original Motokraft one which costs 9k.

Last edited by pkumar : 15th June 2011 at 22:01.
Old 15th June 2011, 23:36   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Problem resolved, at Bosch car service - Whitefield.
===============
He pressure (air) cleaned it and installed everything back. And it worked.
So at last you got it pressure cleaned, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
before replacing it, I would suggest you pressure clean it(or have the A.S.S already done it?) and try again.
Well, as a matter of fact, this should be the 1st thing the A.S.S guys should have done, before suggesting a replacement. Now I see that there are much worse Ford A.S.S than mine.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks