Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Oil leak from Chevy Magnum TCDi's exhaust

hello friends. I own a Magnum Diesel, 2008 model. Recently i have noticed that oil is leaking from the exhaust of my car. This is apparent during morning hours or at start up after about 3-4 hours of halt.

I took the car to a local mechanic who inspected the car and to my surprise he told me that the car is superbly tuned, as good as a petrol car and that there is no problem at all. (Something i am still not able to understand).

The car is running fine. Absolutely no problems. No water drops on the oil guage. No loss of power.

One thing i forgot to ask him was whether it was really oil or diesel that was leaking.

is there a threat of sudden break down and big technical problem? please help?
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oil leak from Chevy Magnum TCDi's exhaust

How about the engine oil level, is it dropping.

Worst case scenario, if the traces are oil and not diesel and considering that there are no other defects as mentioned, the reason perhaps could be faulty valve stem seals which can allow oil to get into the cylinders.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

First things first, please check the oil level IN the engine with the dipstick. That should be a pointer to your problem.
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Reasons could include:
1. Leaking oil control rings (check for smoke from the dipstick or oil filler cap when engine runs);
2. Turbo oil seal blown;
3. Leaking valve guides.

As others mentioned, make sure it's oil, and check for a drop in engine oil levels regularly.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Adnan
Are you sure its Oil ??

I've a feeling it might be the water mixed with black deposits of the exhaust end can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Reasons could include:
1. Leaking oil control rings (check for smoke from the dipstick or oil filler cap when engine runs);
2. Turbo oil seal blown;
3. Leaking valve guides.
If any of those things fail, crdi will start misbehaving big time. Which is not happening in this case.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If any of those things fail, crdi will start misbehaving big time. Which is not happening in this case.
Not very bigtime - maybe a slight loss in pickup and smoke from the tailpipe on hard acceleration.
Quote:
Are you sure its Oil ??
I've a feeling it might be the water mixed with black deposits of the exhaust end can.
My thoughts exactly.
Quote:
As others mentioned, make sure it's oil...
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
How about the engine oil level, is it dropping.

Worst case scenario, if the traces are oil and not diesel and considering that there are no other defects as mentioned, the reason perhaps could be faulty valve stem seals which can allow oil to get into the cylinders.
hii rajeev, that is the first thing the mechanic checked. Oil is upto the mark, with no traces of any water. That is why i mentioned, no drops on oil guage. As advised by other bhpians i am trying to find out through some other mechanic if its really oil or diesel!

Quote:
Reasons could include:
2. Turbo oil seal blown;
3. Leaking valve guides.

As others mentioned, make sure it's oil, and check for a drop in engine oil levels regularly.
Hello, there is absolutely no drop in the oil level. No traces of water. No smoke. But yes one thing i missed out to mention was a kind of burning smell that i am alone able to smell. Its annoying. Similar to one that comes from burning wire or oil. is it connected to the oil leakage problem?

Quote:
Adnan
Are you sure its Oil ??

Sir, it might be water. Immediately after seeing your message i went to the garage and saw the stains. They are easily being wiped off which appears to be a great sign of relief, but certainly not satisfactory as the smell is that of oil. I am scared to taking my car to the service center only to avoid hearing a big bad news. People have already scared me a lot here.

Any tips to find out if its really water? Thank you.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd May 2011 at 14:05. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:06   #8
BHPian

hi
burning smell is due to weak piston rings.
they allow the oil to seep into the combustion chamber leading to that stink.
also, u say that you see the fluid flowing out only after a long halt. so the next time you crank your vehicle after an over night halt, floor down the gas pedal and rev it to the max as soon as you crank it ( i know it's against Turbo Charger laws, but it can be broken once. no prob).

dense black smoke with lots of soot - oil burnt in combustion chamber
dense white smoke with pungent smell - incomplete combustion of diesel. calibrate the pump / get the nozzles cleaned up or replaced / de bug your ECU prog.
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan_1212 View Post
hii rajeev, that is the first thing the mechanic checked. Oil is upto the mark, with no traces of any water. That is why i mentioned, no drops on oil guage. As advised by other bhpians i am trying to find out through some other mechanic if its really oil or diesel!

Hello, there is absolutely no drop in the oil level. No traces of water. No smoke. But yes one thing i missed out to mention was a kind of burning smell that i am alone able to smell. Its annoying. Similar to one that comes from burning wire or oil. is it connected to the oil leakage problem?
Hi, nothing to worry if your car is equipped with DPF aka diesel particulate filter. it is a process in which the particulate filter is regenerated by injecting extra diesel into the exhaust which will burn the accumulated soot. during this you will experience a pungent smell coming from the exhaust. to make sure it is due to what i said, please allow the vehicle to complete the process. for this to happen please drive the vehicle on highway continuously for about 100kms. after this if you still see the same problem, then take it to service centre or please report here.
star_aqua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 02:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Hi, nothing to worry if your car is equipped with DPF aka diesel particulate filter. it is a process in which the particulate filter is regenerated by injecting extra diesel into the exhaust which will burn the accumulated soot. during this you will experience a pungent smell coming from the exhaust. to make sure it is due to what i said, please allow the vehicle to complete the process. for this to happen please drive the vehicle on highway continuously for about 100kms. after this if you still see the same problem, then take it to service centre or please report here.
A couple of days back i got the opportunity to drive to a rural place nearly 180 kms from my city. i chose this car to find out if your tip really works and after the trip i found that the leakage has stopped but the burning smell still continues and getting stronger by the day. thank you once again
Old 16th February 2014, 13:44   #11
BHPian

Hii friends, after a period of 6 years and a drive of 106000/- KMS, i am now into a new problem with my Optra TCDi. Though i have been continuously experiencing problem with the air conditioner every year, but immediately after a repair of the a/c compressor last week, i was shocked to see oil spilled underneath the air filter. On a visit to service center, i was informed that there is a major problem and it appears to be a leakage from the crank shaft oil seal. There is no loss in power, no change in drive. I am not in a position to get this work done by an authorized service station, as problems have come down crashing heavily on me this month. I am planning to get this work done by a local mechanic. Whether engine needs to be removed from the bay to replace the oil seal or there is any other problem to be checked before starting to work on it. What precautions to be taken while getting this work done through an unauthorized person. Please help.

Last edited by adnan_1212 : 16th February 2014 at 13:46. Reason: addition of more information

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks