Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 22:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
... ... ... If one has a car that's worth keeping then doing it is well worth the price. I paid RS 35,000 for this job. Images are attached.
That's an amazing result. The car looks like new. I am sure it is better value than applying fancy surface treatments every few years!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 13:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Water Based Paints vs Solvent Based Paints?

Hello everyone,

Needed some information on water based paints vs solvent based paints. In Mumbai I have not come across a single professional workshops till date that use water based paints. While researching on a workshop to get my VW Polo over coated, I came across a point from a friend of mine who suggested that for a better finish, I get the car painted from a workshop using water based paints.

I have asked many professional painters and all of them use solvent based paints even though their charges vary between 35k to a lakh for a entire re-coat. Only OEM like VW, Honda, Fiat, etc. use water based paints. On probing further, I have been told that companies have moved to water based paints only because they are more environment friendly as after the paint job what evaporates into the environment is water as compared to chemicals in the case of solvent based paints. But there is not specific difference in finish. As a matter of fact, I believe the finish will depend on the skill of the painter and the infrastructure used for the paint job.

Does a water based paint really make a significant difference in finish as compared to a solvent based paint?
Old 8th March 2017, 17:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Water Based Paints vs Solvent Based Paints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

Needed some information on water based paints vs solvent based paints. In Mumbai I have not come across a single professional workshops till date that use water based paints. While researching on a workshop to get my VW Polo over coated, I came across a point from a friend of mine who suggested that for a better finish, I get the car painted from a workshop using water based paints.

I have asked many professional painters and all of them use solvent based paints even though their charges vary between 35k to a lakh for a entire re-coat. Only OEM like VW, Honda, Fiat, etc. use water based paints. On probing further, I have been told that companies have moved to water based paints only because they are more environment friendly as after the paint job what evaporates into the environment is water as compared to chemicals in the case of solvent based paints. But there is not specific difference in finish. As a matter of fact, I believe the finish will depend on the skill of the painter and the infrastructure used for the paint job.

Does a water based paint really make a significant difference in finish as compared to a solvent based paint?
The reason for this is probably the drying time and cost. Water based paints cost a lot more than solvent based ones too which might be hard to swallow for someone expecting a cheap and cheerful paint job from the local painter. Also it takes a LOT longer to air dry a water based paint and you would absolutely need a drying oven to set the paint as compared to solvent based paint, hence it is generally unfeasible for small paint shops who rely on a quick turnaround time.
That said, you will still get a perfect shade match to your water based paint if you repaint with a solvent one. As far as I can tell, if you want a better aftermarket paint then Standox paints are better compared to the regular Dupont ones AFAIK. The cost would be around 70% more than Dupont i.e. if Dupont costs 3k then Standox would cost 5k.
Do you want the contact details of my guy ? He has both options and if you want you can visit him to get an idea of his paint quality and workshop
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 19:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

So I finally got my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 a paint over coated from the authorized VW Authorized Service Center and I was overwhelmed by the result and that too at a reasonable price. I paid a total of 60k for the job which took around 10 days and I am very happy with the result. Here is the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-bonnet.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-bonnet-close-up.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-front-panel.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-front-left.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-side.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-side-left.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-side-right.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-rear.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-rear-close.jpg  

Epic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I finally got my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 a paint over coated from the authorized VW Authorized Service Center and I was overwhelmed by the result and that too at a reasonable price. I paid a total of 60k for the job which took around 10 days and I am very happy with the result. Here is the outcome.
May I kindly ask why you went for a repaint, and how many years old was your car?
I ask this question, because i own a VW polo and I clearly remember at the time, VW boasting off in all ADs etc about their supreme paint quality.

Had you tried the 3M treatments anytime before?
Old 16th March 2017, 22:41   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I finally got my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 a paint over coated from the authorized VW Authorized Service Center ... ... ...
Fantastic. I too wonder if it really needed it, and why, but no arguments with the results: you've got yourself a brand new car for 60K!
Old 17th March 2017, 09:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
May I kindly ask why you went for a repaint, and how many years old was your car?
I ask this question, because i own a VW polo and I clearly remember at the time, VW boasting off in all ADs etc about their supreme paint quality.

Had you tried the 3M treatments anytime before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fantastic. I too wonder if it really needed it, and why,
My car completed 5 years in Feb 2017. Well firstly let me make it clear that there was no issue with the original paint quality at all. The problem was I had a few scratches and paint chips that was caused flying stones and other careless drivers which of course no amount of detailing could remove. These are an eye sore especially on a black car.

The affected areas were the hood, front panels, front two doors and bumpers. Based on this I thought might as well give it an overcoat.

Quote:
but no arguments with the results: you've got yourself a brand new car for 60K!
I was in two minds whether to take the chance with the authorized service centre or give it outside somewhere but I am more than happy with the result!
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 13:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Epic, and again: congratulations on your "new" car

Do you plan to go for any paint protection/sealant treatment on the new paint?
Old 18th March 2017, 11:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Epic, and again: congratulations on your "new" car

Do you plan to go for any paint protection/sealant treatment on the new paint?
Now that the there is a new paint job on the car, I am considering the ceramic coating.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 20:31   #55
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to get my Skoda Laura repainted soon, dark blue/ purple shades look amazing on a sedan so the options that I am considering are:
1. Skyline's Midnight Purple 3 - Looks amazing but I'm worried about the maintenance
2. Mercedes-AMG Brillant Blue - Seems to be a safer bet than Midnight Purple
3. MG MK11 TWILIGHT - Unable to find more pictures/ not sure if it's a light shade or dark

Also what paint should I consider? (The painter has experience with all brands)
1. Sikkens
2. Dupont
3. Standox (Made by DuPont)
Can different company's paints be mixed with a different clear coat? (like DuPont's paint with Nippon's Clear Coat)

Attaching pictures from google for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-nissan1.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-115.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-dscf5128.jpg  

Old 30th December 2018, 17:24   #56
BHPian

Hey,
I recently gave my 2012 i20 for repaint. The car had lot of small scratches and few rusts. The car was painted in a booth. The colour match is perfect and I am very happy with the final result. Problem is that my painter wants to polish the car but I have asked him to wait for atleast one month for polishing.
My question to you guys is, what is the recommended waiting time after a repaint to polish the car?
Thanks in advance.
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 05:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hey,
I recently gave my 2012 i20 for repaint. The car had lot of small scratches and few rusts. The car was painted in a booth. The colour match is perfect and I am very happy with the final result. Problem is that my painter wants to polish the car but I have asked him to wait for atleast one month for polishing.
My question to you guys is, what is the recommended waiting time after a repaint to polish the car?
Thanks in advance.
Hey,

I hope the overcoat paint is still holding well. Can you please share the workshop name and contact information where you got your car painted. Also if possible, please share the cost.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards,
Old 4th June 2019, 09:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Hey,

I hope the overcoat paint is still holding well. Can you please share the workshop name and contact information where you got your car painted. Also if possible, please share the cost.
I had overcoat done on my Honda City ~3 years ago (see post). This was done at Arya Honda @ Reay Road.

The paint has held fairly well so far, no chipping or rust spots etc. More importantly for me, the car has no rattles etc post the job (cowl panel replacement needed dashboard removal etc).

The cost would vary basis what car you want done. The overcoat on Honda City was ~65k including dent removal etc. They quoted 50k for my Swift (didn't get it done).

Just be aware that an overcoat would take some value off your car if you want to sell it to a dealer as they can spot the overcoat and assume it was an accident that caused owner to repaint.
varunsangal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 14:59   #59
BHPian

I picked up this thread to ask my question..

My Honda Civic is now 13 years old and the color is Carbon Bronze.

As everything works perfect in the car and the drive is superb, i would like to keep this car for few more years (Fitness by 2022) and hope the government renew its life (in Chennai).

I want to give it a refreshed look as the paint is absolutely fine in majority of the areas, but in few places, it is bad as the previous owner had done some touch up jobs which has spoiled the original look, also some small imperfections/dents at few place. Thought of keeping it in a much better shape if i could do a repaint (sort of an overcoat with required minimum tinkering).

Any recommended body painting shop in Chennai ? and what could it cost for this work, approximately. Appreciate your inputs.

Swami
Old 19th October 2020, 11:17   #60
BHPian

I have been thinking if repainting my Punto Grande 2011 model. It's 10th year anniversary is due in a couple of months and want to explore this option if it's not too expensive. Is it worth taking this route? Can anyone suggest whats the approximate cost of this in Hyderabad? It's hip-hop black colour, would like to keep the same colour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks