Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 16:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)

Also there are two brackets that are for the chassis mounting welded on the body cross member beneath the front seat. please take care they are not disturbed. I am telling from what I faced.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sagar,

Glad that you started your car's restoration. And it's better now cause few years down the line the Body parts will also not be available.

Please analyze extent of damage and thus the amount of work required (in my case it kept on increasing and delayed the project).
Thanks for the tip. Will definitely give it a try. BTW your "chassis mounting welded on the body cross member" point is thoroughly noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sagar, good to see your car getting its makeover at last. BTW, yours being an S1, how come it has a steering shift, and not the floor shift that came on the S1? Or was this also an option available on them?
Thanks and the answer to your question is rightly given by Dhabhar sir. Though i am quite shocked that you were unaware that column shift S1 exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sagar - thanksfor your compliments. Feels nice. Do let me know what you want. DO NOT REPLACE COMPLETE FLOOR. ONLY REPLACE CORRODED AREAS. Reason is given below.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Will surely let you know my requirement. Point penned down in bold words sir, the floor is getting patched and not replaced. Will inform the denter about the center bearing mounting fasteners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Sagar- Superlike your thread in Facebook language. Im sure Behram, will say, here goes Kavesh again. Please keep your car original as much as possible in terms of OEM parts. I know how I hunted high and low to get VIR rubber bushes, they have stopped making for Padminis, because of cheaper alternatives.
S1 hold a very special place in my heart, I refused to let go my car, inspite of people saying anything. It was only on sound advice and 'decide' by friends did I let go. I have shortlisted two MH01 S1 cars, issue is they refuse to part with.
Thanks a lot. My aim is to use quality spares and am trying hard to get the car back to stock lookwise which includes stock Rexine pads, door handles, mats (found the original Thacker dicky mat at home) et al. More on that later.
Didn't knew you sold off your S1. Why man.

Last edited by samsag12 : 6th May 2011 at 19:15.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well todays update. Work on the left side floor area commenced. The floor and side running board were completely in shambles and the denter used jack to hold the car from down under. There was a lot of work still pending when i took the pics. Hopefully by now the left side should have been completed. Tomorrow work on the right side will begin.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0897.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0898.jpg

The remains of the replaced area.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0890.jpg

Here are some engine bay shots. The bay will also receive a fresh coat of paint. All other small fittings will be removed except the engine.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0893.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0891.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0892.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0894.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0896.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0895.jpg
Hope my S1 too turns out somewhat like this. (pic courtesy Google baba)
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-premierpadminis1deluxeinde00025151.jpg

MODS: My humble request please move this thread PERMANENTLY to post war section like many other restoration threads.

Last edited by samsag12 : 6th May 2011 at 19:21.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 19:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - PPS1 (Premier Padmini was called "PP Car" inside the plant) came in floor mounted as well as column mounted configurations. The floor mounted car had the F4W56A transmission adapted from the 118NE.
Thank you for your comprehensive information sir! As usual, very interesting to have some in-depth knowledge on the PP car (yes, I'm aware it was called that at PAL- recently read your thread on PAL and even posted there in case you're yet to go through the latest posts there)
Question:
Do you recall what month in 1995 the S1 was introduced? I've read everywhere that it was launched in 1995 but couldnt find anywhere the month mentioned. None I asked could tell either.

(@sagar- 'hope I'm not hijacking your thread with this question! )
Old 6th May 2011, 19:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ stanher: Certainly not. In fact i would also benefit from it. BTW IIRC S1 was launched in late 94 and deliveries started in 95. I may be wrong though. Eagerly waiting for a reply from Dhabhar sir on the same.

I need to know something regarding availability of few Fiat parts which i am unable to find here:
1. Door pad hard board set.
2. Body side beading/pattis with clips
3. Glass rubber channel. (the one fitted to support the window glasses from both sides.
4. Dicky rubber lining. What are the alternatives.
Old 6th May 2011, 19:56   #21
BHPian

Sagar,

Please go the shop in the novelty cinema compound , that i had told u about, i do have a set of door pads , but i am not in India right now , will ask someone at home to locate it, if they find it its yours.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Salman bhai nice to hear from you after a long time. Regarding the shop i think you were referring to Jain spare parts, the small shop located at the end of novelty cinema verandah. I visited him today and inquired about some parts. Apart from light fittings and few mechanical parts he doesn't have anything related to fiat.
Would be really glad if you can arrange for the door pads.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Updates on the car as on 9/5/2011 right side floor work complete. From today tinker will work on the outer body panels. Various parts to be replaced.
Some pics clicked during my last visit.
Right side running board and floor area completed. Minor patching near wheel well.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0899.jpg
Cut pieces being replaced.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0900.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0901.jpg
Old 10th May 2011, 08:42   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Updates on the car as on 9/5/2011 right side floor work complete. From today tinker will work on the outer body panels. Various parts to be replaced.
Some pics clicked during my last visit.
Right side running board and floor area completed. Minor patching near wheel well.

I must say, the progress is very fast and precise.

Since the inside of the floor is done, why dont you spray the floor with Polymer based paint (Available at paintshops), this will make sure, rusting will never happen for decades.

1) Sand down the floor surface - Inside and the underside.
2) Spray etching primer - Inside and the underside.
3) Spray Polymer based paint - Inside and underside.

The polymer based paint works better than the 3M undercoating, if needed, you can also spray the 3M antirust coating on the underside after the polymer paint has dried up.

This procedure might put u back by Rs. 6K, but is extremely effective in holding back rusting for more than 30 years, if done correctly

And about the Color shade for the car, Let it be the one that came on the car originally. Do take help from Dhabhar Behram sir... He knows the colors for any PP models like the back of his hand...lol

All the Best.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th May 2011 at 08:44.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 19:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (The Special one)

Its nice to finally see you on this thread Pavan ji. Indeed the progress is fast as deadline given to the tinker is 8 days (though i am sure it will cross 11 day mark).
Will inquire about the Polymer based coating here. BTW how much does the 3M undercoat costs.

Regarding the colour of the car, it will surely be the one with which it came from the factory. Actually it was never changed till date though few overcoats were sprayed of the same colour.
I need assistance in locating the correct shade for the car. It was ROYAL MAROON originally. No new gen. colour code match this shade. Dhabhar sir please help me in this regard.

Few pics of the original shade.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-001.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-1105036866_9bb72c2de2_b.jpg

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th May 2011 at 19:33.
Old 10th May 2011, 20:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Todays update. The rear portion has been changed along with the lower dicky lid panel as the previous ones was corroded completely from the insides. Work on the left side floor was on when i left the work shop today, hopefully it should have been done by now.
Have bought/ refurbished most fittings which include light fittings ,rubber parts and few other small items. Will post the list and few pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0907.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0908.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0909.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0910.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0911.jpg  

Old 11th May 2011, 21:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

More updates. Yesterday the left side floor and running board area was almost completed. Today the right rear door was removed for patching inside and out. He got the readymade pieces of the lower side panel of door so a lot of time is saved. Hopefully in a day or two the painter will start the work on one side of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0914.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0915.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0916.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0917.jpg  

Old 13th May 2011, 09:41   #28
BANNED

Nice to see the progress of the special one. Please do share the costs too when time permits. I am a couple of FIATs to restore, so I am a little anxious.
EARTHed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 20:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Nice to see the progress of the special one. Please do share the costs too when time permits. I am a couple of FIATs to restore, so I am a little anxious.
Glad to see someone really interested in my S1 restoration. Thanks a lot sir for dropping by my thread. Anyways, regarding the cost,will share the information when i prepare the restoration account. A rough estimate of the expenditure till date is 8000Rs which includes cost of few spares. BTW which model Fiats do you own.

Now for some updates.

Right side door tinkering completed. Inner was replaced on both the doors. Made the tinker attach a metal U strip to hold door pads at bottom.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0920.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0921.jpg
Doors worked from the outside to match the line & level.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0925.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0927.jpg
Left side dicky round seal being replaced.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0928.jpg

The remains of the rusted portion.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0929.jpg

Last edited by samsag12 : 13th May 2011 at 20:22.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:37   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

good going sagar. please share us the cost of restoration and the materials used.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks