Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 23:13   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Glad to hear that you got the chain changed. What make is it. Hope you retained the old one though. The upper and lower Hose pipes for Padmini are easily available. S1 trios are impossible to procure though somehow i managed to dig out a set from somewhere.
If possible post some pics of the new lights.
ROLON of course, it comes in Golden packet.
And i did not retain my original one, any particular reason why i should have kept it?

I can get it anytime since the mech stays nearby.

Now i can clearly hear Tappets and they are making a lot of noise, will visit the mech tommorow to set them.

But the car is sounding little better, but still not as sweet as i want it to be.

Also any suggestions for me to convert my existing fan setup to elcectric one as in S1 would be great.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
ROLON of course, it comes in Golden packet.
And i did not retain my original one, any particular reason why i should have kept it?

I can get it anytime since the mech stays nearby.

Now i can clearly hear Tappets and they are making a lot of noise, will visit the mech tommorow to set them.

But the car is sounding little better, but still not as sweet as i want it to be.

Also any suggestions for me to convert my existing fan setup to elcectric one as in S1 would be great.
You are really lucky to have got the ROLON make chain though price seems escalated over time.
The main reason to retain the old one along with its sprockets (of course if its not too worn out) is it might come in handy when new ones won't be available few years down the line.
Regarding the S1 thermostat fan, IIRC you will require a thermostat sensor unit and a S1 fan along with the necessary wiring and mods to your radiator. This way your engine can achieve 2 to 3 BHP more. I can help you with procuring a used S1 fan. PM me if you require help in this regard.
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are really lucky to have got the ROLON make chain though price seems escalated over time.
The main reason to retain the old one along with its sprockets (of course if its not too worn out) is it might come in handy when new ones won't be available few years down the line.
Regarding the S1 thermostat fan, IIRC you will require a thermostat sensor unit and a S1 fan along with the necessary wiring and mods to your radiator. This way your engine can achieve 2 to 3 BHP more. I can help you with procuring a used S1 fan. PM me if you require help in this regard.
Buddy samsag, i stay in mumbai and i expect to get padmini's parts easily here, so no luck part here.

I bought that hurriedly, else rates @ sion koliwada are lower which is rs 625.

The old one was worn out so no use.

I will try to do this conversion project ( S1 fan ) few months from now as time permits, will surely PM you in case of any issues/queries.Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 16:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

First of all sorry for the delay in posting the pics, Actually was trying to click some shots from the past few days but couldn't succeed due to heavy downpour which also damaged the phone lines(Bband) . The pics were taken after the showers so the car appears dirty. Still to polish the car just waiting for the paint to outgas.
As one can see there are still some trims to be fitted on the car. Have planned to fit the old fittings till i procure new ones.
Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

PS: Salman bhai hope you find some time to search for the door panels when you visit your Lko house.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image1030.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image1031.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image1032.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image1029.jpg  

samsag12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 17:26   #110
BANNED

Finally the pics! Congrats!

What make tail lights are those?
Old 29th June 2011, 17:35   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Finally the pics! Congrats!

What make tail lights are those?
Thanks !! Have changed the lenses to LAL make ones, don't know about the fittings as they were fitted 4 to 5 yrs back hence no marking on them. BTW any specific reason for this.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:05   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks !! Have changed the lenses to LAL make ones, don't know about the fittings as they were fitted 4 to 5 yrs back hence no marking on them. BTW any specific reason for this.
Your paint seems to be PPG or Duxone........

The color too has more shades of Red than to highlight Maroon. Your choice so let me not get more into it.

Anyways, finish the fittings soon.

BTW Sweet-trade lenses are available, Arun1100 found 2 pairs of them Brand New

Just make an effort to find Quality spares, better than concurrent Headaches.

Óne more Important thing.... Your Windshield rubbers seem to have the Rubber inserts, Remove them and you get these stick-on type Chrome strips. Just insert them inside. Your car will start looking betteer.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th June 2011 at 18:19.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:14   #113
Senior - BHPian

I tried hard to find the ST make lenses or fittings but wasn't able to procure it so fitted whatever i got. Still looking for them though. Will replace when i get hold of it. BTW have found a pair of ST make reverse light set.
Arun seems lucky to have found 2 pairs.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:18   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Your paint seems to be PPG or Duxone........

The color too has more shades of Red than to highlight Maroon. Your choice so let me not get more into it.

Anyways, finish the fittings soon.

BTW Sweet-trade lenses are available, Arun1100 found 2 pairs of them Brand New

Just make an effort to find Quality spares, better than concurrent Headaches.

Óne more Important thing.... Your Windshield rubbers seem to have the Rubber inserts, Remove them and you get these stick-on type Chrome strips. Just insert them inside. Your car will start looking betteer.
Just saw this .Thanks for the suggestion Pavan ji but didn't got what you meant to say. Please elaborate.
I thought those grooves are molded to the rubber and hence not removable, i may be wrong though.
Old 21st September 2011, 15:06   #115
BHPian

Any update on the restoration ?
Old 21st September 2011, 18:14   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Any update on the restoration ?
Well actually a lot has been done since the last update. Interior is nearly completed, all fittings have been done including the refitting of dicky badges along with sealing their edges. Meter is changed to Konkorde (clock one). Small detailing work has been done by myself, though still there's some left.
Will be posting some fresh pics soon with the description.

PS: All the above work and a lot more has been done at home by me.

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st September 2011 at 18:20.
Old 17th June 2012, 11:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Thought of updating this thread with the latest happening on S1, have finally changed the fuel filter as guided by experts on 118NE thread.
Had a tough time keeping the new filter in place but did some mods to fit the same inside the original filter bracket as of now. Will modify an original Fiat filter bracket to suit the circumference of the new filter. Time to hit the scrap market.
BTW i hope the pipe used is of correct specifics. Am waiting for comments on the setup from fellow members.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-17062012381.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-17062012382.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-17062012383.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-17062012384.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-17062012385.jpg  

samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 09:47   #118
BHPian

Hello Sagar : Went through the entire thread and it felt great to see the restoration of your S1!! Great work!! Regarding the fuel filter placement, here are some points.
  • The pipe that you have used is of good quality!
  • The wires and the pipes/filter seem too close for comfort. Always look for safety first.
  • The next main important thing is that you have fitted the fuel filter bracket towards the engine side. This means that heat from the engine will be transferred to the fuel filter which is of plastic.
  • The heat will effect the life of the plastic filter and fuel should be kept as cool as possible to avoid vapour lock.
  • You can probably relocate the bracket to the other side and reposition the filter to avoid contact with the spark plug wires.
  • Also look out for other alternative positions for the filter like : Can it be fitted somewhere before the fuel pump?
These are just a few points I could think of. However the best guidance can be got from the Fiat Guru himself!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 10:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that you found the restoration satisfactory, thanks for sharing those points, will surely follow each and every one of them and share the outcome.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:03   #120
BHPian

What a heart-warming thread! Brings back memories of Fiat rides back in the day.

I'm going to take up a similar project sometime next year. Totally impressed with your dedication -- although seeing everything that you've done, I'm now a little worried about being able to do it!

Although it seems to me now that the longer I wait, the more issues I'm going to have with parts etc!

Out of curiosity, is there a high quality multi-brand repair shop in your area? Did you consider a paint-job from someone like a carnation etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks