Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2014, 17:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Swift Not Starting - Problem with emission control system

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Go to a MASS, ask them to connect the Tech 2/SDT and check what is the error code, that ll pin point to the problem in no time. Secondly after all this is done, I would advice you to take your car on the highway (alone and not with wife and kid) and give it a proper full throttle exercise. Your car has hardly run anything and a good Italian tune up will clear the throat of your car.
The problem has been corrected by resetting the ECU (disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes) as advised by my mechanic. I keep on doing the Italian reset once in a while

Thanks!
Old 12th February 2014, 17:25   #17
BHPian

Re: Strange starting problem in the Swift VXI

I have posted a resolution in the appropriate forum here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3368102
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 22:42   #18

Car starting trouble after long drives

Hello Experts,

I own a Swift Petrol which is 7 years old. Its run about 20K in the first 6.5 years and about 8K in the last 6 months. The car has been serviced regularly at a Maruti authorized dealer.

I have recently noticed a very strange problem and was wondering if I can get some pointers.

My car starts in the first attempt when I try first thing in the morning. However, it sometimes requires 3 - 5 turns of the key if it stops at a signal.

Before going to Maruti Service center I would like pointers to the cause of this problem. My initial instinct is that the battery needs replacement as its 7 years old. However, I do not understand why it starts every morning and why it refuses to start at a signal after driving over 100 kms.

I do keep AC ON with blower on 1 or 2. I have a simple music system with 4 speakers. Also, the problem is more prominent when driving at night with headlights ON.

Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 28th October 2014, 09:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car starting trouble after long drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanhpt View Post
Hello Experts,

I own a Swift Petrol which is 7 years old. Its run about 20K in the first 6.5 years and about 8K in the last 6 months. The car has been serviced regularly at a Maruti authorized dealer.

I have recently noticed a very strange problem and was wondering if I can get some pointers.

My car starts in the first attempt when I try first thing in the morning. However, it sometimes requires 3 - 5 turns of the key if it stops at a signal.

Before going to Maruti Service center I would like pointers to the cause of this problem. My initial instinct is that the battery needs replacement as its 7 years old. However, I do not understand why it starts every morning and why it refuses to start at a signal after driving over 100 kms.

I do keep AC ON with blower on 1 or 2. I have a simple music system with 4 speakers. Also, the problem is more prominent when driving at night with headlights ON.

Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks.
Your battery is slowly getting weaker - I was having the exact same issues from the past 3 months, and they all went away when I go a new battery.

Also, when it comes to starting the car when it is hot at a signal - can you time it? I did for my car, and found that it would take a bit longer to start (3-4 cranks) only if it had been switched off for between 65 and 75 seconds!! Any less or any more, it would start up first crank always.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:45   #20

Re: Car starting trouble after long drives

Thanks KiloAlpha. I just want to be sure that the trouble comes from the battery before I spend on a new battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Also, when it comes to starting the car when it is hot at a signal - can you time it?
Twice I have faced the problem immediately after I tried to start my car when it was stalled in Mumbai traffic after a long drive on open road (aka expressway).
Old 28th October 2014, 11:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

check battery voltage. If it needs replacement, replace. Then check coolant and oil levels. Check for bubbling and remove air from coolant and probably a coolant replacement. If all ok, check throttle body and idle valve for cleaning.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:23   #22

Thanks kutlee.

That's a whole lot of things to check. I guess I need to read up a lot more in order to understand how to check these things.

Maybe its worth mentioning that the trouble started a few days after I had my car air conditioning system serviced at MASS for around 3.5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
check battery voltage. If it needs replacement, replace. Then check coolant and oil levels. Check for bubbling and remove air from coolant and probably a coolant replacement. If all ok, check throttle body and idle valve for cleaning.

Most Viewed