Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 20:22   #1

Smell of Petrol from the engine: Octavia VRS

Hi Guys,

I have been getting a very strong smell of petrol from the engine of my Octavia VRS. Here's a background on the problem.

After driving 30-40 KMS during the day, when I stop my car and step out. I get a very strong smell of petrol from the engine. Also, after this smell starts to come, the car stops every 2-3 minutes no matter what speed I am driving at.

I took the car to Skoda, they identified the Fuel Pump was the reason for the frequent stopping. Got it changed. However, the smell of fuel still persists.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with the reason this might be happening... its driving me nuts....

Maybe someone who has experienced a similar thing.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kunal
Old 12th May 2011, 21:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smell of Petrol from the engine: Octavia VRS

Sounds like your engine is running rich and also you are getting a fuel lock.

It could be something as simple as your air filter is blocked. Start there. Your MAF sensor might be misreading. Disconnect and see any difference on default settings.

Did the dealer do a scan and come up with a fault code?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 00:05   #3
BHPian

Used to happen in my Corsa too. There used to be a build up of gas in the fuel tank and then the smell of fuel would seep into the cabin and the car would shudder a little. It still happens when I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I just stop and open the fuel filler and let the air out and then it goes back to normal.
Old 13th May 2011, 03:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS_Junky View Post
.... I have been getting a very strong smell of petrol from the engine of my Octavia VRS.....

.... the car stops every 2-3 minutes no matter what speed I am driving at....
Looks like you are running a rich A/F ratio. Like Ajmat mentiond, check if intake is clogged. Also, regarding the error codes, try resetting the ECM - Disconnect the battery and re-connect it after about 15-20 minutes. AFAIK, it should clear any error codes, and the ECM can start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
... build up of gas in the fuel tank...
... I just stop and open the fuel filler and let the air out...
Hey Viraat, this shouldn't be happening. There is a passage to let air out, and yours seem to be clogged. Please get it checked.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 07:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

It could be something as simple as your air filter is blocked. Start there. Your MAF sensor might be misreading. Disconnect and see any difference on default settings.

Thanks Dude.. I did get a scan done. The Mass Air Flow sensor was malfunctioning. I got it reset and rescanned after running the car for a few KMS. There was no error code this time. Do you think it could be something to do with the mass air flow sensor. I am taking the car to Performance Auto today considering the fact that even Skoda technicians would not be well versed with RS. Will keep you posted on what Performance Auto has to say.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2011, 08:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

The last time I smelt fuel in my car, it was a clogged fuel filter that cracked and leaked fuel. Never realized until I went under the car. Check that as well in addition to above.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Ajmat, I got the scan. The MAF is functioning fine. I believe there is some problem with the charcoal canister. Because every time I get the smell it originates from near the Charcoal Canister. I checked the N80 / Purge Valve just to see if that may not have malfunctioned. But when I put my finger to it while the engine is running, it goes "tick-Tock" which means its functioning fine. Also, the engine scan does not return any fault codes. In fact I even got the charcoal canister dismounted to see if there is any crack or leaks...but there are none. Do you think these Charcoal Canisters have a life and need to be changed after some time when the charcoal inside stops to adsorb the fumes?

I would really appreciate if this problem could be sorted out with your help. Its very disheartening to get this smell from such a beautiful machine and not being able to put a finger on the problem....

Thanks in advance

Regards

Kunal
Old 2nd April 2012, 07:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS_Junky

Ajmat, I got the scan. The MAF is functioning fine. I believe there is some problem with the charcoal canister. Because every time I get the smell it originates from near the Charcoal Canister. I checked the N80 / Purge Valve just to see if that may not have malfunctioned. But when I put my finger to it while the engine is running, it goes "tick-Tock" which means its functioning fine. Also, the engine scan does not return any fault codes. In fact I even got the charcoal canister dismounted to see if there is any crack or leaks...but there are none. Do you think these Charcoal Canisters have a life and need to be changed after some time when the charcoal inside stops to adsorb the fumes?

I would really appreciate if this problem could be sorted out with your help. Its very disheartening to get this smell from such a beautiful machine and not being able to put a finger on the problem....

Thanks in advance

Regards

Kunal
Mate thanks for sharing this problem - even I am experiencing a similar issue - could you please share what was the end solution to this problem - appreciate your response. In my case the petrol smell comes after driving for some time say 30-40 Km's.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:01   #9
BHPian

The charcoal canister goes for a toss if you overfuel the car (continue filling fuel after the first click of the fuel bowser). The charcoal canister is there to absorb fumes, not liquid fuel. DO NOT fill fuel beyond the first stop click of the fuel bowser. Otherwise such problems will occur/recur.

Last edited by 1self : 2nd April 2012 at 08:02.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self
The charcoal canister goes for a toss if you overfuel the car (continue filling fuel after the first click of the fuel bowser). The charcoal canister is there to absorb fumes, not liquid fuel. DO NOT fill fuel beyond the first stop click of the fuel bowser. Otherwise such problems will occur/recur.
Mate thanks a ton for you help, I just got myself a pre-worshipped rs, I did get a full talk as my first fill, is that what is causing this ?
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:23   #11
BHPian

Get your charcoal canister checked/ replaced.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 15:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Get your charcoal canister checked/ replaced.
Mate thanks a ton for the Advice - I guess the trick is to never fill it to the brink, did the second fill till the cut off - no smell.

Best - Motoringlover.
Old 5th April 2012, 09:07   #13
BHPian

Hi,

Do you see excess build up of soot / oil in the exhaust tail. Probably unburnt fuel due to rich mixture could be the cause.

As many have pointed out, get the filter checked. Also, get the Vacuum Hose checked.

Please keep us posted on what was the issue.

Thanks,
Yogesh.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Really?
I have been fueling to the brim - way beyond the first auto-cutoff for last 7 years (5 years on the Honda city and last couple of years on my Laura TSi). Do these cars have the charcoal canister? How many years/kilometers before it is damaged if regularly filled to the brim???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Mate thanks a ton for the Advice - I guess the trick is to never fill it to the brink, did the second fill till the cut off - no smell.

Best - Motoringlover.
Was it only smell and no drop in FE?
Old 5th April 2012, 11:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

Really?
I have been fueling to the brim - way beyond the first auto-cutoff for last 7 years (5 years on the Honda city and last couple of years on my Laura TSi). Do these cars have the charcoal canister? How many years/kilometers before it is damaged if regularly filled to the brim???

Was it only smell and no drop in FE?
It is a little too soon for me to confirm on the FE, its only my second week of ownership, there has been no smell for now. I did check out briskoda, the general advice on this subject has been to avoid filling to the brink and doubts pointing towards the the charcoal canister or the purge valve.

Also with regards to filling regularly past the first cut off - over a period time leads to a damage to the charcoal canister. My car is a per worshipped buy with 60k on the ODO.

Best - Motoringlover

Last edited by Motoringlover : 5th April 2012 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks