Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 19:24   #31

Re: CNG in automatic transmission

hi guys
After the recent hikes in petrol prices i am forced to consider installing a CNG kit in my Corolla Altis 1.8 V (automatic transmission) which is about 3 years old now.
I wanted to know what kind of kit to go with and any names of delaers in vashi or Navi Mumbai region. This added weight of the tank wont effect the car rear suspension?
My car is mostly used in for city driving and dnt mind going on all petrol mode when traveling outstation. Had contacted some toyota delares as they had launched a CNG Corolla as well but they dnt have instructions yet to install a cng kit in cars yet.
Can anyone please tell me the approximate cost and any drawbacks of this addation.
Thnx
Ankit
Old 16th September 2011, 21:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankzvohra View Post
hi guys
After the recent hikes in petrol prices i am forced to consider installing a CNG kit in my Corolla Altis 1.8 V (automatic transmission) which is about 3 years old now.

Can anyone please tell me the approximate cost and any drawbacks of this addation.
Thnx
Ankit
Hi Ankit,
I installed a lovato in my 1.6 logan. Now 11 months later , i have not had to visit the installer even once for any setting except for lowering the cut off rpm to 1500 from 2000 which he had set by default.
He is based in Kurla (W) , on LBS road ( agra road ) , near Asha Petrol pump.
after u take a right from the BKC near taximen's colony to go to sion station , its about 60/70 mt on the right side.
i misplaced the number. shall look it up and pm u if i find it.
Its called RELIABLE AUTO
the savings are enormous.And you may overlook the little drop in performance. Corolla suspension would be able to easily take care of the additional weight. If its fully loaded and luggage too , you may scrape a few high bumps , but for most purposes it would not make nay difference. Some electrical components like - plugs, coils , HRT leads, idle speed actuator ( in the throttle body ) may have reduced service life. the fuel pump motor also if not used; may conk off earlier than on petrol,. You have to use the petrol for first km everyday on starting and while returning home as well for best performance.
regds,
kedar

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 16th September 2011 at 21:24.
Old 25th December 2011, 19:33   #33
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I know i've opened up an old thread, but I've been thinking about converting my 1 year old I 10 Automatic to a CNG. My usage would be 100% city driving.

Couple of questions that I had in my mind.

1. Is it advisable to put a cng in an automatic vehicle?
2. Due to power loss problems, would I be needing a sequential CNG kit or would the standard kit be ok?
3. Would the engine face any problems after a 3-4 year period?

Any help on this would be appreciated .
Old 25th December 2011, 23:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
hi guys
I wanted to know what kind of kit to go with and any names of delaers in vashi or Navi Mumbai region. This added weight of the tank wont effect the car rear suspension?
My car is mostly used in for city driving and dnt mind going on all petrol mode when traveling outstation. Had contacted some toyota delares as they had launched a CNG Corolla as well but they dnt have instructions yet to install a cng kit in cars yet.
Thnx
Ankit
Did you put CNG in your car???? A small review will be good.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:50   #35
BHPian

I'm planning to buy used Civic and install CNG. I'm looking out either automatic or manual, do you think it will be a good move. After Frankmehta's thread on used Civic AT with CNG I'm getting this idea and as per the initial review looks like installation has responded well.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 10:32   #36
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I'm planning to buy used Civic and install CNG. I'm looking out either automatic or manual, do you think it will be a good move. After Frankmehta's thread on used Civic AT with CNG I'm getting this idea and as per the initial review looks like installation has responded well.
Both are good, ensure the car/model is approved by rto for conversion though. All cars cannot be converted, atleast not legally.
Old 15th May 2013, 19:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I'd installed an open loop CNG kit in my Santro-Auto. For about a year and maybe 10,000 odd kms everything was fine. And then the transmission started slipping :-). Sometimes it would run fine and sometimes the engine would race like crazy and hardly move at 10kph. Ultimately had to replace the tranny with a manual one. Am not sure whether switching to CNG was the cause for failure but since then have been a bit skeptical especially with a non-sequential kit in an automatic.
Old 16th May 2013, 10:15   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpanicker View Post
I'd installed an open loop CNG kit in my Santro-Auto. For about a year and maybe 10,000 odd kms everything was fine. And then the transmission started slipping :-). Sometimes it would run fine and sometimes the engine would race like crazy and hardly move at 10kph. Ultimately had to replace the tranny with a manual one. Am not sure whether switching to CNG was the cause for failure but since then have been a bit skeptical especially with a non-sequential kit in an automatic.
How many kms had your car run by that time ?
Old 9th May 2018, 12:57   #39
BHPian

Sorry for posting this on a old thread but I feel the rising petrol prices and the need for an automatic in the increasing traffic congestions point towards a cng automatic as a viable solution. Has anyone had any experience with a cvt cng (like the honda city 2014-current)?
Old 31st May 2018, 10:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
Has anyone had any experience with a cvt cng (like the honda city 2014-current)?
+1, I am in the same boat. I am glued here and expecting a feedback from someone. CVT is the main thing that keeps me away from thinking of CNG. Do let us know if you are able to dig up further info.
Old 1st June 2018, 17:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
+1, I am in the same boat. I am glued here and expecting a feedback from someone. CVT is the main thing that keeps me away from thinking of CNG. Do let us know if you are able to dig up further info.
I just recently saw this video from Carguru and it was quite informative. Shouldn't be an issue as per the video. Now I just need to find a decent garage that does this in Pune.

Old 5th June 2018, 15:34   #42
BHPian

Wow, finally I found thread where people are waiting for similar information as I am.

I am interested in knowing will it be okay to have AMT equipped car run on CNG?
I am considering Dzire AMT or Tigor AMT.
Know that Maruti's 1.2 petrol mill runs well on CNG and Maruti did offer some cars with official CNG kit fitment on this mill.
But I found no information on CNG fitment on Dzire with AMT box.

I am also considering Grand i10 with 4-speed TC unit for CNG fitment.

Can someone please help?
Old 10th June 2018, 07:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.rahate View Post
Did you put CNG in your car???? A small review will be good.
Hi man so sorry for replying so late.

After some research I got a Vertis sequential kit fitted on my Corolla Altis 1.8vl automatic from Fortune CNG. The same has been working fabulously And I have clocked more than 30k km on the same. Took a higher capacity tank so able to fill in at lest 10 kg of CNG per fill.

On petrol in the city the automatic would give a mileage of just over 9 whereas with CNG , for every KG of gas the car gives abt 14 km of mileage.
Sequential kit is quite good and change over from petrol to cng is seamless. When starting from cold the engine starts on petrol and once the RPM goes above 2000 on the tachy( and the engine is warmed up) it changes over automatically from petrol to gas.
I also changed the engine oil to Mobil 1 ( from the mineral oil used by Toyota). The engine response is quite good however when on gas the engine looses a little bit of refinement.

So far no break down or maintenance carried out on the CNG kit. Only got the unit leak checked and pressure tested as must be done once in 3 years.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th June 2018 at 11:15.
Old 14th June 2018, 21:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
hi guys
Thnx
Ankit
I would suggest you to go to Green Globe Fuel Solutions. They are well known for fitting CNG kits in lot of large automatic cars like CRV, Accord, Sonata etc. They offer all kinds of CNG kits including their own GRECO brand.

They are located in Mulund West. Search online for reviews.
Old 25th February 2019, 17:00   #45
BHPian

I wonder why OEMs are not heeding to any voice of customers.
People want Automatic (AMT, AT, CVT) with CNG, I guess it would benefit not just private but fleet also [poor fellows spend about 8~10 hours behind wheel]

IMHO, AMT + CNG would definitely give OEMs a run for their money.

Is it possible to have a survey on this forum to understand how many would actually opt for an Automatic with CNG !

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th February 2019 at 07:06. Reason: typo
FIAT3031 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed