Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 15:40   #1
BHPian

Ford Endeavour - Jinxed on Highway service!

Ok so i was doing Udaipur Delhi and i realised the Truck had done over 7K since previous oil change. Anticipating a lot of high speed travel, i stopped at a decent looking service station enroute and found them having all the necessary parts to do a quick oil change. So we changed with the Castrol Diesel oil, Air/Diesel Filters. The guy also recommended to change disc pads as they looked worn out to him, he had a genuine packed pair with him which i got replaced my current ones with.

Now about 100 KM done and truck suddenly started moving left . We stopped to check and noticed a lot of smoke from front left tyre. It felt as if the tyre was jammed ! Luckily, with another mechanic we found nearby, we were able to change back the brake pad on this tyre to the old ones i carried from the change and we were again moving but felt the car moving slow as somehow, the turbo was not kicking in past 2K RPM :( .

Near Jaipur, we tanked up full again only to realize, the average is only 9.5 as against 13-14 on rest of tank fulls ! I checked again near behror only to confirm my fear that something was wrong, average was about 8 this time !

Im confused and worried...What the hell has happened to my Truck :(
Old 16th May 2011, 15:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour - Jinxed on Highway service!

HI Delhi,

Few questions that need answering -
1. Have you put in the right spec oil during the oil replacement.
2. Are you sure the oil filter was FGP (Ford Genuine Part)
3. Are you sure the replaced Brake pads were FGP.

If the answer to above are not sure then you have an issue. Take the car to the nearest Ford A.S.S and get them to do the inspection on all the repalcements you have done. Get the replacements redone if necessary.

As inidcated in the forum earlier refrain from replacing anything on the street. you are better off with older Genuine parts than new fake or unsuitable parts.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 18:04   #3
BHPian

The oil was Castrol CRB Turbo and everything else was OEM i guess. But keeping that aside, last time i had a similar situation in pune and has to get it done roadside as authorized service center has 1 day waiting period . That lasted pretty well without any issues and i ran the truck for full 7000 KM on that oil change.

Well i went to Delhi ford service station now and they find nothing wrong with the truck in terms of braking or pickup. For average check, they've suggested i get the Diesel filer and Air filter changed again to see if it serves the purpose as nothing else is wrong. What do you think ? Could this be the issue ?
Old 18th May 2011, 15:33   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
The oil was Castrol CRB Turbo
AFAIK, Castrol CRB Turbo is only for commercial vehicles! To reconfirm, I visited the Castrol India site. I do NOT see CRB Turbo listed under "passenger vehicles". However, it was there under the commercial vehicles category.

Did you even check the viscosity and grade before choosing the oil, and ensuring that it's suited to your Endeavour? Why wouldn't you use premium synthetic oil in a 20 lakh rupee SUV like the Endeavour?

Sorry to say, but I think you need to be better prepared for road trips. Reasons below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Ok so i was doing Udaipur Delhi and i realised the Truck had done over 7K since previous oil change.
Why not get basic maintenance taken care of BEFORE the trip? The counterfeit parts industry in India is HUGE...probably bigger than the one for original parts. I fail to understand how you can trust just any highway workshop?

Quote:
The guy also recommended to change disc pads as they looked worn out to him
Even though the brakes seemed to be working fine, you still went ahead and got the pads replaced, spur of the moment, on the highway and at an unknown service station?

Quote:
Near Jaipur, we tanked up full again only to realize, the average is only 9.5 as against 13-14 on rest of tank fulls ! I checked again near behror only to confirm my fear that something was wrong, average was about 8 this time !

Im confused and worried...What the hell has happened to my Truck :(
Umm, wrong oil?

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2011 at 15:35.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:00   #5
BHPian

^^^ +1, how can you trust a road side garage blindly! Also you should have confirmed the grade and quality of the oil before hand.

You should ASAP get the engine oil drained. Suggest you to do this twice in short intervals.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Carelessness on your part I will say. Always do your homework before embarking on a journey. The last moment decisions are to be taken in dire situations only. And for major jobs always double check the shop and its reputation. I have seen BHPians taking a day off and getting the engine oil changed in front of their eyes.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:17   #7
BHPian

I opted for CRB Turbo as that was as per the manufacturer's Norms API CF4 . I went to ford again only to find them telling everything is fine and that im being paranoid for no reason ! Now i had to get this sorted so i decided to get the filters changes and got the truck opened by a known mechanic. Guess what we found out ? The damn IDIOT @ Udaipur had put Qualis's filters ! Now this has been the cause of all this performance drop ! My mechanic is of the opinion that it was'nt him at fault entirely as these parts for these 2 vehicles are same . It maybe that the one we put is of inferior quality causing this trouble. Well i've called ford now and asked for a change and they've asked to come over on Monday. Hopefully this should be solved by then ! Will keep you posted for sure and thanks again everyone for all the valuable comments be it criticism which was right perhaps
Old 21st May 2011, 17:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Also check if the brakes are jamming up, that might be the reason for drop in fe also.

Most Viewed