Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 05:09   #151
BHPian

Re: Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey, could be because of altitude too. To give you a perspective, the turbokick @ a particular rpm won't be same at sea level Mumbai to at a height at Mahabaleshwar. See if the lag still remains when you get down on the altitude. It mostly wont.
If I am not wrong the altitude kicks in when you are going above 9K feets above sea level. Ooty is about 6K. Besides my airfilters were replaced recently before the trip to Ooty. So, I am ruling out lack of air.
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:18   #152
BHPian

Guys are there any Scorpio Clutch failures reported in the 2014 facelift version of the Scorpio ? If i remember correctly there was a transmission change in the face-lift with the Scorpio getting the same gearbox as the Xylo, which does not have this issue.
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:22   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Guys are there any Scorpio Clutch failures reported in the 2014 facelift version of the Scorpio ? If i remember correctly there was a transmission change in the face-lift with the Scorpio getting the same gearbox as the Xylo, which does not have this issue.
The S10 variant has a different clutch than the lower variants or the older Mhawks. The redesigned clutch has a more robust slave cylinder, but the release bearing is more prone to failure (becomes significantly noisy).

I am not aware that the 2014 facelift had the gearbox from the Xylo, but would like someone to confirm for certain.
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:28   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
A friend's 2016 Scorpio 4wd had a clutch failure early this month. The pedal sank down on a highway! Mahindra got it fixed in warranty and had it dropped back in Delhi. Interestingly the car had a clutch replacement few months back.
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:34   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A friend's 2016 Scorpio 4wd had a clutch failure early this month. The pedal sank down on a highway! Mahindra got it fixed in warranty and had it dropped back in Delhi. Interestingly the car had a clutch replacement few months back.
Which variant was this? S4+ or S10?
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:36   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Which variant was this? S4+ or S10?
This was S4+ 4wd variant.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:40   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This was S4+ 4wd variant.
Which means it has the same slave cylinder design as the Mhawk 2008-2014 Refresh version. These had been always prone to leaking. OTOH the S10's clutch doesn't have leakage reports, but then complaints of release bearing failure and resultant noise are quite frequent.

Incidentally, the two types are swappable.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd December 2017 at 21:58.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 00:18   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

How can I check what type of slave cylinder is being used in the TUV? Asking this as in the recent past I have seen a few folks post about clutch issues and failure - want to check if the cylinder used is the same faulty one used in the Scorpio.

Also wanted to understand the replacement schedule most folks follow for brake & clutch fluid. Manual recommends Dot 4 @ 40K kms or 2 years, which ever is earlier. Any other tips to minimize risk of slave failure?
Old 26th December 2017, 15:26   #159
Senior - BHPian

When I took delivery of my TUV and took it to World of Service (my friendly FNG) to ask about the progress of work on my Palio, one of their senior mechanics (who spent many years in Mahindra ASC) put the TUV on the lift and looked at it in detail, since he had left Mahindra in early 2015. His only comment was: "watch out for the clutch, especially the release bearing, which is the same as the problematic one in the Scorpio 2008-14 mHawk, the one inside the gear box (he meant inside the bell housing). This is prone to premature failure! Baaki sab theek hai, boss!"

In the light of what is being discussed in this thread, I find his comment worth remembering now!

Last edited by architect : 26th December 2017 at 15:30.
Old 26th December 2017, 23:44   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am not aware that the 2014 facelift had the gearbox from the Xylo, but would like someone to confirm for certain.
Quoting team-bhp offical review of the 2014 facelift-" The front & rear axles are new, as are some suspension bits, while the gearbox is lifted from the updated Xylo."

Quoting auto car review of the 2014 facelift-" Also carried over are ABS-equipped brakes, but M&M has now put in its new 5MT320 five-speed manual transmission from the updated Xylo."

Quote:
May this was due to a blotched up clutch replacement ?
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 13:10   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
All is well now after the chrome motors work. Third service was also done as it was 14K +. Everything came under warranty and no money spent!

Good job done by service advisor Abhilash with prompt follow ups and updates and also managed to make the vehicle delivered home.

Other note, Mahindra should note this clutch slave cylinder issue, which has been mentioned by lot of owners.
At 70K+ Kms once again slave cylinder broke down. It was last Sunday and This time with friends midway around 80Kms away off Mysore road. Having Reliance Insurance road side assistance, called their helpline and did not find it comfortable with their answers and wait time. Directly called Mahindra services top boss in Blr region. He immediately connected to towing agency and within 2 hours tow vehicle came and dropped in Chrome motors, Mys Road.

Vehicle was repaired and delivered next day. Total Bill: 9K+ Parts replaced: Clutch Slave Cylinder, Cover assembly.

Now, every morning after cold start for about 2 kms drive, there is shuddering in lower gears with lower speed. Later it is all smooth. On the watch out to see if it reduces.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:33   #162
BHPian

A weird thing is happening with my 2010 December Scorpio mHawk VLX 4X4's clutch. After running in the city for 30-40 kms., the clutch, on depressing, makes a squeaking sound and does not spring back smoothly. It comes back after a few seconds with a jerk. Early morning the symptoms are much milder. What could be the problem?
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
A weird thing is happening with my 2010 December Scorpio mHawk VLX 4X4's clutch. After running in the city for 30-40 kms., the clutch, on depressing, makes a squeaking sound and does not spring back smoothly. It comes back after a few seconds with a jerk. Early morning the symptoms are much milder. What could be the problem?
Depending on how much kilometers you have done, it could be either the slave or master cylinder and/or the clutch release bearing. Most likely the slave cylinder though. Might be a good idea to replace the clutch kit too if you have crossed 70k. Final diagnosis can be done only by a mechanic.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:49   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Depending on how much kilometers you have done, it could be either the slave or master cylinder and/or the clutch release bearing. Most likely the slave cylinder though. Might be a good idea to replace the clutch kit too if you have crossed 70k. Final diagnosis can be done only by a mechanic.
I have done 60K on the car. Any idea on how much would replacing the cylinder and clutch kit cost? Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:02   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
I have done 60K on the car. Any idea on how much would replacing the cylinder and clutch kit cost? Thanks.
Referring to a few posts above, it seems the slave cylinder and clutch cover assembly is about 9k. If you add the clutch disc and release bearing to make it a full kit, I think it would be around 15k in all including labour. I am not a Scorpio guy so this is an intelligent guess. On the other hand my friend just got his XUV clutch kit replaced and the damage was 20k.

Last edited by Traveler : 3rd October 2018 at 12:04.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks