Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 22:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
There are 1000s of VLXs on the road which the clutch waiting to fail inconveniencing many families
Unfortunately, this problem has occurred in several SLE variants too, as has been described in Ranga's and CasperRider's posts in this thread.

Quote:
but who cares about customers, saving the 3K on a vehicle for which you just took 11 Lakhs from the customer is more important I guess.
+1000. As far as this issue is concerned, M&M management is like an ostrich with it's head buried in the sand, hoping the problem will go away on it's own if it's ignored long enough. Even though my vehicle isn't affected as yet [touchwood!], the apathy that is being shown towards this problem and it's customers by M&M is enough to tear one's hair out in frustration.

In hindsight, this makes me think that it woudn't have been such a bad idea after all to have stretched my budget a little bit and bought the Safari EX instead, warts and all. At least I'd have had a more spacious vehicle, that ran without bouncing and rolling even if it didn't have more than 4 passengers loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubharadwaj View Post
I have half a mind to involve Hormazd sorabjee once again to get his team do a detailed investigation into this clutch issue, and educate the masses. What say ppl?..
Sir, I implore you to do so. You will be doing a great favour to all other mHawk Scorpio owners out there.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th May 2011 at 22:07.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:57   #77

Quote:
Sir, I implore you to do so. You will be doing a great favour to all other mHawk Scorpio owners out there.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi vikram,, have done it.. lets wait and watch what happens on this front now.

Regards,

Manu

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th May 2011 at 10:42. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
manubharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 14:20   #78
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the list of clutch issues on this thread has scared the living daylights out of me. Even though mine is the older 2.6CRDe, any idea if this contraption/faux upgrade has been carried over to the 2.6CRDe also considering both use the game GB NGT530R(IIRC)
Old 29th May 2011, 17:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Seeing the list of clutch issues on this thread has scared the living daylights out of me. Even though mine is the older 2.6CRDe, any idea if this contraption/faux upgrade has been carried over to the 2.6CRDe also considering both use the game GB NGT530R(IIRC)
Hi MC, You are truly blessed as having the older CRDe would mean that your clutch system is still the old, 'relatively' reliable one where the CSC is outside the clutch bell and would certainly and hopefully last much more than the ones doing duty on the MHaHa and hidden securely inside the clutch bell.
Old 29th May 2011, 18:26   #80
Senior - BHPian

I have a April 2010 Manufactured SLE Mhawk,and this thread is giving me goosebumps.
All has been well till now,without any niggles even,and i pray that it stays the same.
Does the clutch failure comes up suddenly or are there any symptoms before it gives up????
Old 29th May 2011, 18:38   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have a April 2010 Manufactured SLE Mhawk,and this thread is giving me goosebumps.
All has been well till now,without any niggles even,and i pray that it stays the same.
Does the clutch failure comes up suddenly or are there any symptoms before it gives up????
I think this was rectified early 2010. Not sure exactly when. My Scorpio gave no warnings at all. It was driving fine. Paid toll at the toll gate, pressed the clutch put in 1st gear. moved a few yards, pressed the clutch to put in second and clutch was gone. I then coasted to a stop at the road side. This was the beginning of my ordeal.
Old 29th May 2011, 20:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this was rectified early 2010. Not sure exactly when.
Hi, Did they rectify it at all in terms of the design ? The last time I visited the M&M ASC, when I had my Scorp, was in Jan 2011 and during some discussions there with the WM I was told about the large number of reported CSC failures and that a fix to the same was not yet figured out or some such thing.
Did we not hear of CSC failures from some brand new MHaHas as well on some of the forums ? Not sure.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 21:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Re: the clutch slave cylinder, what exactly fails, and why? Any analysis?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th May 2011, 22:41   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi, Did they rectify it at all in terms of the design ?
According to the service advisor it has been redesigned.
Old 29th May 2011, 23:17   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Scorpio gave no warnings at all. It was driving fine. ...pressed the clutch to put in second and clutch was gone.
That was a most unfortunate failure, Tini. Came across this thread rather late because I'd been travelling. However, I would have thought a quick fix remedy to your kind of failure is possible, without leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere, as mercedised suggested...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
...the slave clutch cylinder leaked and the clutch pedal gone for toss completely. It went all the way till floor.

Remedy short term that I did...
...and I had posted a long time ago (from here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yesterday a relative's NHC Type 3 had a clutch failure on a deserted New Delhi road at night. The hydraulics failed, and the clutch would not disengage. Got him to check the clutch oil level over the phone - the reservoir was empty, pointing to an oil leak. No petrol pump nearby, and he didn't want to abandon the car there.

Solution: I advised him to top up the reservoir with plain water. After pumping a few times, the clutch started working again, and he managed to drive the car home.

Repair: Today, he had the car checked - a leaking joint from the pipeline caused the loss of oil. The cylinders (master and slave) were fine. The whole system was flushed repeatedly with hydraulic oil, dried in the sun, the leak taken care of, and the system topped up and bleeding done. Clutch works as good as ever.
=====================
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Interesting solution, I hope it will work in my non-crde also.
@hvk: That'll work for any hydraulically actuated clutch (or even brake) system, where fluid leaked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
+1. Would like to be made aware of what causes the failure, and whether it involves a specific design / manufacturer / batch of the slave cylinder.
Quote:
According to the service advisor it has been redesigned.
So did you get the redesigned slave cylinder installed this time? Are the two designs swappable?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 29th May 2011 at 23:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 09:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,

Regards
Sutripta
Hi, As per the ASC - in the new CSCs the fork that moves the Clutch Release Bearing has been done away with and the most reported observation has been leakage of clutch oil from the CSC and the failure of the actuator. The oil leaks into the bell and remains there giving no early warning either.
So primarily a design issue of the CSC.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:17   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
...leakage of clutch oil from the CSC and the failure of the actuator.
Why does the oil leak? Is it because of a failure of the bucket or leakage from a joint between the pipeline and the slave cylinder (or any other reason)?
Old 30th May 2011, 10:30   #88

Fellow BHpians,

Received this response from Hormazd Sorabjee of Autocar. Request all those who have the defective clutch cylinder to write to them directly, or alternately send across the details to me. Hope M&M will take things seriously from there.

Would be happy to take up the issue of the slave cylinder failure but we can't act on information put up on the net. The way forward is for the concerned person to officially write to us to autocarindia 9helpline@autocarindia.com) and we will then take it up with Mahindra. Like we did with you, we may need to photograph the defective Scorpio along with its owner.

@Moderators - Hope I am not trangressing the lines out here by putting up the mail Ids. If i am please delete the post and let me know.

Regards

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th May 2011 at 11:05. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 10:31   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Why does the oil leak? Is it because of a failure of the bucket or leakage from a joint between the pipeline and the slave cylinder (or any other reason)?
Hi SS-T, Haven't seen one myself, to be frank, in a leaky condition - the one I was shown had muck all over it so was difficult to see from where the oil had leaked. My guess is that it would most likely be from the joint where the oil pipe meets the body.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

Just got to read this thread and scares me now! I have my own passion for long drives with family and this puts me on the backfoot for them. Infact my Crde was much more reliable car than the mHawk.

Unless I open the bonnet and check the oil levels regularly, there is no way I can predict an situation like 4X4 had!

M&M, cutting corners and cost reduction(or savings) at the expense of your customers is very bad.This thread makes me wonder if I should be looking forward for W201 at all!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks