Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 18:56   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can sea water turn my Civic into a rust bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Also, Ford actually thinks its a good idea to show off their new SUVs on the beach.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-off-road.html
Manufacturers use press vehicles as disposable items; they don't drive them for 5 - 10 years like you & I will. That particular Endeavour ended up with a busted Alternator or Starter (don't remember which of the two).

Quote:
doesn't conventional wisdom say that sea water corrodes metal and turns it into rust?
Regular cars aren't built to wade through water. Heck, I hate driving through water so much that I refuse to even take my 4x4 Jeep through it. Everyone is recommending a spray & underbody wash right after. I disagree; that salt water will find its way and rest in places that a pressure wash will never be able to clean.

Do yourself a favour and avoid driving your car (or your friends ) through sea water. Use your vehicle the way it was meant to be used.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 00:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do yourself a favour and avoid driving your car (or your friends ) through sea water. Use your vehicle the way it was meant to be used.
+1 on that GTO

My friend recently got his SUV rooted on Chivla beach in Malvan and had to get help from local fishermen. It took an hour for them to level out the sand and lay wooden planks to get the vehicle out. Damages? - paid 500/- to the fishermen and the clutch plate is gone too!!

Last year I drove my Lancer on the same beach, maybe half a km on wet sand but not in water. A week later when the car was on the ramp for a wash, I noticed lumps of sand lodged between the fuel pipe and the underbelly, the cavity in the McPhearson struts and the cavity above the silencer pipe, all that sand could have easily filled a small bucket!!

Washing the car ASAP is a must but the most important thing to remember is to wash the disk brakes with ample water immediately after you are done with your acrobats.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Worry more about the vehicle getting bogged down in the sand (300 kms away) and getting stuck then the actual salt water effect. Like mentioned above a good wash could take care of the later.
Quote:
Regular cars aren't built to wade through water. Heck, I hate driving through water so much that I refuse to even take my 4x4 Jeep through it. Everyone is recommending a spray & underbody wash right after. I disagree; that salt water will find its way and rest in places that a pressure wash will never be able to clean.

Aptly said. Its better to control the urge to drive thru the sea water and sand just for fun, be aware of the repurcussions. As spitfire says, its better not get stranded on a place far from help. Pressure wash should anyways help remove most of the salt water. But I am not sure if sand stuck inside splashed at unreachable places will be same. It would be quite unlike driving through dry sand/sand dunes.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

I have decided to drop our beach driving plans. Not that I've chickened out or anything - its just that I've suddenly become environmentally conscious. I would not like to be responsible for deaths of hundreds of crustaceans and mollusks on the beach (ahem! )

Quote:
. That particular Endeavour ended up with a busted Alternator or Starter (don't remember which of the two).
That thread should have a disclaimer at the top "Kids, do not try this at home (or a beach)".

The opinions here seem to be split 50:50. The "risk reward ratio" of doing the beach drive stunt seems to be tilted towards the "risks" side.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The opinions here seem to be split 50:50. The "risk reward ratio" of doing the beach drive stunt seems to be tilted towards the "risks" side.
After having been there, done that on my car, all i can say is that this is comparable to other risks we take in life. We have our options before us, and then take a calculated risk.

We come out successful at times, sometimes we lose.. but the experience gained is a value addition.

I ended up paying for this experience with an ignition coil replacement. However, i do NOT regret it one bit!
Old 18th May 2011, 09:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

More than the issue of corrosion, which may not be an issue for occasional exposure sea water if followed with a thorough wash, the biggest danger is the car getting bogged down in sand. I have seen cases when cars were taken into the sea during high tide and eventually getting soaked up in sea water which enters the cabin area and engine bay. This is a real danger and could spoil the systems and interiors completely. And as per my knowledge, there are many local thugs in Muzhupilangadu beach who are aware of this situation, wait for a prey and offers to help ending up asking 5 digit amounts. The money to be spend on the car for repairs are extra.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:07   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I ended up paying for this experience with an ignition coil replacement.
Hey, I was not told about this before!

With my luck, the car could end up something like this after my beach run -

Can sea water turn my Civic into a rust bucket?-rusty.jpg
Old 18th May 2011, 10:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I was not told about this before!

With my luck, the car could end up something like this after my beach run -

Attachment 546897
Must say that you have a fantastic sense of humour
At the end of it all, if you find the urge irresistible and plan to take your baby out for a beach wash please do let all of us know how it went . Oh yes and don't forget to plant that tree, alright? ;-)

Last edited by bkbkr1212 : 18th May 2011 at 10:45. Reason: correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks