Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2006, 14:06   #1
BHPian

black smoke from exhaust

dear friends i need some help on this asap - thanks.
[SIZE=2]whenever i start my car it never used to give any smoke out. Recently i got an Oil change done and since then when i start the car in the morning it will stutter kind of abrupt pumping of pistons in idle and then when i throttle it a bit, some black smoke comes out an then the timing is ok i mean the idle pumping. I checked the dipstick it shows above the F mark by about a ¼ inch. Is the engine oil overfilled and is it the oil thats burning which is causing all this???[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]btw its a 1992 Nissan Altima - Carburettor type Manual engine.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]your inputs pls.[/SIZE]
Old 28th January 2006, 00:51   #2
BHPian

Does your car jerk when you are driving it normally? Or only when you start it in the morning?
Old 28th January 2006, 01:01   #3
jat
BHPian

I don't think oil change should be direct cause of smoke.

Normal oil level is when engine is running and car is at level ground. In stop condition it would show higher levels.
Old 28th January 2006, 02:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
I don't think oil change should be direct cause of smoke.

Normal oil level is when engine is running and car is at level ground. In stop condition it would show higher levels.
Hey mate i agree with u on the first point!! Oil change is not the cause. Nor is the point that the oil level is a lil bit on the higher side.
The actual oil level is to be measured when the engine is NOT RUNNING and in cold condition. So u can say the best time to chk oil level would be before starting ur car in the morning.

hey 2fast4u black smoke may be emitted due due insufficient air. what happens is due to insufficient air the fuel-air mixture gets rich with fuel n it doesnt burn completely thereby giving out black smoke!! this is just one of the reasons...
Old 28th January 2006, 10:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

U need a proper engine tune up for ur 14 yr old engine. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 28th January 2006, 18:56   #6
BHPian

The main cause of black smoke that I have noticed is a Cars electrical system.
I had the same problem the other day with my car.
While revving hard black smoke would come out of the exhaust.
I changed my spark plugs and found out that one of the plug wires weren't working.
No more black smoke till now.
( I maybe wrong about my conclusion. Just trying to help.....)
Old 28th January 2006, 19:02   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtea
The main cause of black smoke that I have noticed is a Cars electrical system.
I had the same problem the other day with my car.
While revving hard black smoke would come out of the exhaust.
I changed my spark plugs and found out that one of the plug wires weren't working.
No more black smoke till now.
( I maybe wrong about my conclusion. Just trying to help.....)
Hey,

In your case the car would be misfiring/missing then as on eof the cylinders would not be functioning. I dont think spark plugs come under the elctrical system. I agree with Nitrous all he may need is a thorough tune up. How many kms has your car done it could also have leaking valves. Gert your compression test also done.

Viper
Old 29th January 2006, 01:27   #8
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinegopi
The actual oil level is to be measured when the engine is NOT RUNNING and in cold condition. So u can say the best time to chk oil level would be before starting ur car in the morning.

hey 2fast4u black smoke may be emitted due due insufficient air. what happens is due to insufficient air the fuel-air mixture gets rich with fuel n it doesnt burn completely thereby giving out black smoke!! this is just one of the reasons...
Well the engine design point is with oil in circulation and engine is warmed up. That's when it gives a constant reading and least error. If you take a measurement in cold conditions, depending on ambient temperature, oil may get stuck in certain areas of engine (may not drain out properly - although the error may be quite small) and contract. So you level may not be consistent.

Check that your carburettor is working properly and the wire leading to it is not twisted etc. Also it may depend upon how much you are pressing the accelerator pedal. It could be due to some abnormal fuel accumulation in carburettor, and when you have started the engine, the flow becomes smooth and therefore smoke goes away.

RK
Old 29th January 2006, 02:34   #9
BHPian

If you do get an oil change then I think you should flush the engine first with engine flushing oil.

(or do the servicing stations do that with every service....I mean with every oil change) or do you have to specifically tell them to do that???
Old 29th January 2006, 21:12   #10
BHPian

thanks guys

Hi all and thanks for your inputs though the actual culprit was Excess Oil by more than ½ litre. Now its perfectly fine. Just learnt over the WEB that not only is under filling dangerous to the engine, overfilling is also dangerous but it happens gradually. As in case of Manual transmission the Rear Oil Seal on Crank located near clutch housing gives way due to excess pressure buildup by crank splashing oil / foaming etc., this oil gets directly on clutch thereby causing clutch slip, later the front oil seal gives way thereby splashing oil on the brake discs, fan, belts etc.

correct oil level should be checked when car is on flat surface lying idle for about an hour or more or best in the morning before start as mentioned by ""marinegopi"".

Nitrous@ since i bought the car approx 4yrs now all i have done is changed Oil every 15K, oil & air filter change and spark plugs every 40K thats all. it had about 125k kms when i bought it and the speedo stopped functioning at 193769 about 2½yrs back. the FE is just 8kmpl though but for a 2000cc inline i feel is good what say???
Old 29th January 2006, 21:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nitrous@ since i bought the car approx 4yrs now all i have done is changed Oil every 15K, oil & air filter change and spark plugs every 40K thats all. it had about 125k kms when i bought it and the speedo stopped functioning at 193769 about 2½yrs back. the FE is just 8kmpl though but for a 2000cc inline i feel is good what say???
She definitely needs an engine tune-up or if u're gonna keep it for long:
Complete Engine overhaul.

I was wondering how u're measuring FE with a non-functioning Odo.
Old 29th January 2006, 22:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
She definitely needs an engine tune-up or if u're gonna keep it for long:
Complete Engine overhaul.

I was wondering how u're measuring FE with a non-functioning Odo.
based on previous distance travelled when the odo was working the routes daily usage is almost the same with sometimes traffic and then i know how many days a full tank runs - i hope u get me its like when u been driving for sometime u can judge speeds like uve crossed 100 120 without speedo working i am not talking of speeds like 150+ just the street legal limits / everyday.
btw re: overhaul How would i know that - i mean the car starts just like a leyland truck just a slight twitch of the key - its that fast.
there is no misfiring - the clutch is fine - the car doesnt stall - it cruises at 80 / 120 all day and does it top speed 190 on the open roads once a week or so. and its had done 293769 typo error 193769.
See i am giving you all this info as i never had an interest to drive a car basically i am a biker and can analyse a bike problem better but the car I still am not confident and dont know what problems can crop up. So your help or some links on this awesome forum will be of great help.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 29th January 2006 at 22:20.
Old 30th January 2006, 01:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

The engine has done 300,000 kms two years back??

Ur car should be an example for the reliability of Japanese engines.

I suggest u get a compression test done to ur engine, and seriously think about the overhaul.
Old 30th January 2006, 12:10   #14
BHPian

ok but can this compression test be done at any local garage or do you have to go the dealer service centre to get it done. i am asking you this as the dealer service is a huge rip off. cost of labour is more than the spare parts. and also let me know if compression test is OK do i still have to do an overhaul. I am asking because when something is working fine it should not be touched as after that all problems start. do let me know ur views. thanks boss.
Old 30th January 2006, 12:19   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
ok but can this compression test be done at any local garage or do you have to go the dealer service centre to get it done. i am asking you this as the dealer service is a huge rip off. cost of labour is more than the spare parts. and also let me know if compression test is OK do i still have to do an overhaul. I am asking because when something is working fine it should not be touched as after that all problems start. do let me know ur views. thanks boss.

Hey,

You can do the test at any local garage who has a compression test guage. It should not take more than 15-20 mins. As far as cost is concerned they should idealy not vharge more than Rs100-150. If you know any local garage who you go to regularly he should do it for free. Would definitely recommend you to get the car carbon cleaned and tuned thoroughly though irrespective of the tests. If your cylinders are more than 175 then you are OK if not you need an overhaul.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks