Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 13:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: How many hours can an engine run non-stop?

@ tsk! man! lol

There are guys here @ TBHP who drive,sleep etc when they go for long drives. And IIRC, they have the AC switched on while they sleep ( with a window left open a little).
Lets see if they come up and post here about their experience.

As long as you maintain your car, it should work non-stop.

Applause to our heart, for example.
Old 21st July 2012, 14:53   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Every engine is conscious. ITs self aware. Somewhat like skynet. (Infact, one day I think engines will take over the world).
So once its aware that warranty is over, it dies. Its a part of the great plan to increase stress in the owners, and make it easier to take over the world.
Lol, I so totally agree with you. Especially if you own a Safari, it is one of the reasons they shifted to ECU controlled engines!

Cheers!
Old 21st July 2012, 16:44   #48
BHPian

Having worked on Disney Wonder (Cruise Ship
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Wonder) for 4 long years, my experience is the engine is stopped only during Dry dock when its lifted off water for maintenance.
It the engine stops, electricity, water, air conditioning, everything stops.
Have heard of incident on other ships, where engines did go bad and the above issues.

Ships are not designed like stop and go vehicles, it has back up of everything.

By the way I was working above water and not under water(engine room).
Old 21st July 2012, 18:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread!!!
I personally believe that modern engines can go on and on till they need oil change. The temperature gauge just gets stuck at the middle sometimes making me wonder that whether its working or not. This indicates that the engine can go on and on under normal and ideal driving conditions. Quite similar to computer system where it can go on and on until software crashes.
Old 21st July 2012, 20:19   #50
ike
BHPian

Modern engines are built to last. I read in an auto magazine when they did a leh trip there was a traffic jam and they ran the engine continuously for 48 hrs with the heater on. I think it was in a safari.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 23:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
When it comes to Le Mans, the Audis, Bimmers and Porsches run high rpms for almost 24 hours non-stop (except for driver changes during pit stops).
Hi Everyone

I was thinking about the same after watching the movie ford v/s Ferrari wherein they push the vehicle to the limit for 24 hours.

Now given the technological advancement in the field of automobiles compared to those in the 1960's, I am wondering let’s say If i have to drive an alto or an Indica straight for say 12 -15 hrs. or max to max for 24 hrs. at a constant speed of 90 to 100kmph, will the vehicle be able to take it or will the engine cease?

I understand this can be subjective but if everything like lubrication and cooling system has been taken care of will it cause any challenges. The reason for the question is because me and my family are planning a long trip.

In fact, the Indica that I am talking about has covered close to 3500 kms after a complete engine overhaul at 166500 kms, and all the fluids have been changed post which the vehicle has hardly run for 700-1000kms.The alto is an 8-year-old car with 39100 kms on the odometer. I would request everyone to pour in their inputs and suggestions.

Again, I am glad someone pointed this out as I had been thinking about it and I get the answers at my favorite place, www.team-bhp.com.
Last but not the least Seasons Greetings for the festive season and Wishes for a wonderful New year in advance.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 27th December 2019, 00:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi Everyone
compared to those in the 1960's, I am wondering let’s say If i have to drive an alto or an Indica straight for say 12 -15 hrs. or max to max for 24 hrs. at a constant speed of 90 to 100kmph, will the vehicle be able to take it or will the engine cease?
It isn't even a question. I have driven a Ford Fiesta, Maruti Alto and 98 model Maruti Zen between Bangalore and Bombay, a distance of approximately a 1000 km in a single day. Probably switched off the car for a total of half an hour to one hour on that entire journey, when I stopped for meals/fuel. Do not even worry about the vehicle taking it. Of course, make sure your engine has been serviced before hand so that you are certain everything works properly, especially since servicing on the road can sometimes be an issue.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 01:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone

I am wondering let’s say If i have to drive an alto or an Indica straight for say 12 -15 hrs. or max to max for 24 hrs. at a constant speed of 90 to 100kmph, will the vehicle be able to take it or will the engine cease?
Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Interesting that you mentioned Alto. I drove Alto for many 16 hours+ non stop runs between Delhi and Srinagar at a sustained 100+ KMPH. Also, I have done 20+ hours between Delhi-Siliguri, Delhi-Hyderabad on that car and it was always a seamless experience.

Thanks
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 07:39   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now given the technological advancement in the field of automobiles compared to those in the 1960's, I am wondering let’s say If i have to drive an alto or an Indica straight for say 12 -15 hrs. or max to max for 24 hrs. at a constant speed of 90 to 100kmph, will the vehicle be able to take it or will the engine cease?
I own a WagonR K10 which has covered 86000 kms. I did Bhubaneswar to Hyderabad in it, a distance of 1150 kms in 18 hrs. Since we were two drivers, it was a non-stop drive maintaining three digit speeds throughout and never faced any issue.

Since then I have done several non-stop drives, ranging between 8 hrs to 22 hrs. The longest break in such drives is less than 30 mins.

Trivia: If I am traveling during summers, then most likely the car and the AC is running all through the trip, even during my small breaks as I don't want to lose the cold lining.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 07:42   #55
BHPian

The cargo ship I was working on board , started from Indonesia and stopped at a port in Chile, after 32 days, carrying 45000 tonnes of cargo, burning 25 tonnes of fuel per day. So I guess, engines can run nonstop, till they have fuel, air and cooling water and a driver who is alert.
indigo74 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 22:25   #56
BANNED

This was a record set on the Hero Honda Karizma in 2003 by OVERDRIVE, they clocked about 2500km's in 24 hours maintaining an average speed of about 105kmph!

https://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/p...9-2003-48.html

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th January 2020 at 22:28.
Old 18th January 2020, 10:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Railway engines EMD type are designed to run 184 days or 4 Lakh km between minor services. In Indian conditions many do just about half the running (2Lakh km). Major service is at 4 Yr 1 Million miles (16 Lakh km).
A friend who owns a fleet of Volvo and Scania buses says in summer the engines are kept on for 10,000 km, when Air cleaner has to be removed and washed (this is DIY). Engines are off for more than 8 Hrs only during the 1 Lakh km service when Oil is changed. Once cold the engine does not exceed 1900rpm for about 50 km. 1900 rpm translates to 80kph in 5th gear while top restricted speed of 84kph(scania) is achieved at 1500rpm in 7th gear, and 1750 rpm in 6th gear.
Rahul Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I have done multiple 21-24 hour trips to Delhi from Kolkata on Duster without breaking a sweat. Car is switched off only while refueling and one meal break.

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 12:24   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

There is absolutely no reason why a car engine can not run for a very long number of hours with no or little stopping. As long as it is maintained reasonably well.

It is nothing new either. In the late 70s so almost 40 years ago, Western Europe discovered Spain, or better the Spanish Costa del Sol, as a holiday destination. Many people started going there to enjoy the beaches and the sun. Some bought houses/appartement.

We used to drive down to places such as Barcelona or further South from Amsterdam. 2000-2500 km. In a fully loaded car, sometimes pulling a boat trailer. We used to drive it in one go. Only stopping for fuel and driver swap. Without a trailer we could reach Barcelona (2000km) in under 20 hours. Add a few more hours for adding a trailer. I have done this run in all sorts of cars. From a humble little Fiat to a big fat Mercedes.

In all those years we never experienced any mechanical issues, other than the odd flat tyre.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Aren't train diesel engines kept running even when not used? I guess they are stopped only for maintenance. The logic has something to do with more diesel needed for stop and start rather than kept running overnight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks