Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:58   #1

Premature Spark Plug failure in my Wagon R (Only 7,200 kms)

I bought my wagonR duo during Oct2009.Run just 7200 K.M. Three days back while driving on LPG mode, the car started knocking and strange knock was heard under the hood. Car stopped. Next thing was that I could not even get the car started on LPG mode. Right on ignition it started knocking and stalling. Thuds were heard under the hood. When started in Petrol mode, the car started nicely and I could drive smoothly.

I went to the ABT Maruti service centre. The service adviser arranged for the check. All the 4 spark plugs were changed and engine tuned (it is detailed so in the bill). The car is rid of the knocking now. Runs smooth on LPG mode since the change.

Should all spark plugs require change in 1 1/2 years having just run 700K.M. under the circumstances explained? Can the removed plugs be used for emergencies?

Service adviser explained that one of the plugs was damaged. Not finding the correct one they have changed all! Some senior members of Team-BHP owning wagonR can throw light on my query, please.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd May 2011 at 10:12. Reason: Leaving a space between lines and paragraphs makes it lot easier to read. Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Premature Spark Plug failure in my Wagon R (Only 7,200 kms)

You can keep the plugs as spare, but they rarely go put if replaced at the right service interval. 700 kms is too short a time, seems more like a freak failure. And yes it is always a good practice to replace all the spark plugs together.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

I own a Maruti WagonR LXi petrol car. I got all spark plug replaced during 30K service last December. Service adviser told me that they can hold well up to 40K but I still ask for replacement. In your case 7K is too short; did you ask the reason for their failure? Also I guess since the car is a 2009 model it should be well under warranty.

What was the reason for such quick replacement? Were the spark plugs defective or what was the reason for its damage?
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:58   #4
BHPian

Spark plug has a continuous metal conductor running from top where HT chord is attached to bottom which is inside engine. Use a digital multimeter and set it to Diode. Now attach one probe of multimeter to top of plug and other to the bottom tip of plug. If multimeter shows 00 or 01 then plug is fine, if is no reading or very high reading like in thousands then plug is gone. Lower the reading, better is the health of plug.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:36   #5

Re: Premature Spark Plug failure in my Wagon R (Only 7,200 kms)

Dear Jaggu, it is 7200 K.M and not 700 as shown in your reply. Anyway thanks for the guidance I have received.

Last edited by manson : 25th May 2011 at 20:42.

Most Viewed