Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 21:30   #4021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
.... Despite my repeated requests to clean that out they insisted it was this problem and said that if water was the issue the ‘water in fuel’ light would have glowed.
And therein lies your clue that they are trying to take you for a royal ride!
Water in the filter can be drained by opening the small drain cock located below the filter/separator.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 23:16   #4022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can’t remember the exact error code but I do remember it showed two errors one of which was possible water in fuel filter. Despite my repeated requests to clean that out they insisted it was this problem and said that if water was the issue the ‘water in fuel’ light would have glowed.
That's odd. The SOP is to first check the sensor connections and delete the codes. If codes recur, further procedures are then initiated.

Suggest that you go and meet Mr. Arvind Rampal at New Rampal Motors, 27 Nehru Nagar Market, Ring Road, New Delhi 110065 (9810150100). He runs a Bosch Scanning Centre, and would be able to best advise you about what those error codes are, and what corrective measures to take. Trust me, he is not your average roadside joker with a Chinese scanner - his stuff is state-of-the-art, and his knowledge is way beyond anything I have seen in this city yet. In fact, he teaches the service centre guys of all OEMs how to use their scanners, where Bosch diagnostic and control systems are concerned (that includes M&M systems).

For the sake of making a pun, let me say that he is the Bosch!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th May 2015 at 23:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 08:24   #4023
BHPian

My 11yr old Non CRDE Scorpio has done about 1.2 lac kms.
The Alternator has never been serviced and has never caused any problem till now.
I am planning a long trip to Spiti & Leh this summer.
Do you think it will be a good idea to get the alternator serviced from the Authorized Service Center as a preventive maintenance measure.
I just get a feeling that 1.2 lac kms is a lot for an Alternator to run without any kind of service, and I want to be 100 % sure that it will not cause any problems during my trip. After all the Alternator is a critical component.
Anybody has any contact info of Bosch Electrical Service Center where I can get it serviced. I searched the net and got an address of Ring Road, Naraina.
Here is the link to the Bosch Service Centers :
http://www.boschindia.com/content/la...html/23341.htm

Styler
Old 13th May 2015, 10:05   #4024
BHPian

Update on the 'Engine Check' light and turbo wastegate actuator non-functioning issue.

I checked the vacuum hoses and they seemed fine for another year or so. The wastegate actuator had a lot of grease on it. Last week we had travelled to Uttrakhand and was on some pretty dusty forest paths. It appeared that the little trickle of oil from the intake pipe to the turbo had gather too much dust and was preventing the free-flow of the actuator. I used a handy 'rust remover' spray (since I did not have a degreaser at hand) and viola the actuator started functioning normally. So, this seems to rule out any issue with the Turbo and actuator.

Next, I opened the drain plug on the fuel filter and removed the sediments. I am sure the water, if any, must have been cleaned.

The car seems to be functioning normally. but the issue of the 'check engine' light remains. Is it a problem with the little vacuum pump (see attched photo) because when it functions after the engine is turned off, it become pretty hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-wastegate_actuator.jpg  

Old 13th May 2015, 11:34   #4025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update on the 'Engine Check' light and turbo wastegate actuator non-functioning issue.

The car seems to be functioning normally. but the issue of the 'check engine' light remains. Is it a problem with the little vacuum pump (see attched photo) because when it functions after the engine is turned off, it become pretty hot.
Normally it should mildly ward and not hot.

Try one of the below:

1. Disconnect the battery for 30 mts. to reset the ECU it might clear the error, the engine check light should go.

2. Avail the scanning services through a mechanic and clear the error through the OBD tool.

If the light goes and does not come on it would mean that the issue is resolved,
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 11:43   #4026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
My 11yr old Non CRDE Scorpio has done about 1.2 lac kms.
The Alternator has never been serviced and has never caused any problem till now.
I am planning a long trip to Spiti & Leh this summer.
Do you think it will be a good idea to get the alternator serviced from the Authorized Service Center as a preventive maintenance measure.
IIRC Scorpios have Lucas alternators, not Bosch.

The main failure point for any alternator would be the AVR, a sealed electronic unit. Even a brand new unit can fail, and old ones can last 20 years. Carry a spare. Ask any FNG to check for bearing noise and output voltage. That would be all that's required. Not required to open and service the alternator unless there are specific issues.

Edit:
@Hoopoe :
The unit in the lower edge of your picture - it's one of two similar units, those are vacuum modulators for the turbo and EGR. If one of those continues to work/vibrate/make a noise after switching off, it'll need replacing before your check engine light can go off. But, to be certain that is the culprit, you need the error code.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th May 2015 at 11:56.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 11:52   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IIRC Scorpios have Lucas alternators, not Bosch.

The main failure point for any alternator would be the AVR, a sealed electronic unit. Even a brand new unit can fail, and old ones can last 20 years. Carry a spare. Ask any FNG to check for bearing noise and output voltage. That would be all that's required. Not required to open and service the alternator unless there are specific issues.
Thanks SS for the useful assessment. The label of the Alternator says Mico License Bosch. It is attached here.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpioalternatorlabel.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 13th May 2015 at 11:53.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:01   #4028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The label of the Alternator says Mico License Bosch. It is attached here.
Ah, okay. The current Refresh vehicles come with Lucas, as does mine. MICO service centres are quite common.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:04   #4029

Shifting to Michellin LTX AT 2 tyre , has resolved the water splash issue in scorpio.
M.Khanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 15:13   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Khanna View Post
Shifting to Michellin LTX AT 2 tyre , has resolved the water splash issue in scorpio.
How much the set of 4 / 5 cost you..
Old 18th May 2015, 15:22   #4031

8k a peice for the michellin LTX AT 2
M.Khanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 19:36   #4032
BHPian

Scorpio sle, there is a shudder at 1800 rpm no matter which gear. The front right of dash plastic and front glass vibrate. Once it crosses 2k rpm it goes off. Any insights.
Old 19th May 2015, 08:57   #4033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Scorpio sle, there is a shudder at 1800 rpm no matter which gear. The front right of dash plastic and front glass vibrate. Once it crosses 2k rpm it goes off. Any insights.
One of the most irritating things in the Scorpio. Dig this thread, there are umpteen references to this problem. When at the ASC get them to place a piece of rubber between the transparent fascia and the plastic mold around it. Should take care of the problem.
Old 19th May 2015, 10:23   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
This is the tuning fork effect due to matching of vibration frequencies.

DIY, take off the instrument cluster cover (you can pull it off), unscrew the cluster and stick pieces of foam or better still double tape and screw back the cluster and replace the top, this worked for me.
Old 19th May 2015, 12:21   #4035

Hi All, saw a little engine oil leakage after driving my scorpio 2.6dx CRDe dec 2005 model this morning. Initially thought that it could be water drops from AC but then confirmed with the local mechanic. As per him it is a full day task to check and fix it as he has to open all the fittings and check various seals and packings. I have driven around 1.70 lacs KMs and its the first time there is any leakage in the engine. Any suggestions ? Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks