Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 23:44   #4291

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Dear all,

I have a 2006 scorpio DX with 1 Lac plus km. The car is having a peculiar problem.

While being driven at any speed (low or high) and any gear..the engine check light comes on. Along with the light coming on the car starts to loose power. Within seconds the engine check light disappears and the engine power resumes. I have had it checked multiple times at M&M ASS but to no avail. I have got a computer run a system check -but nothing came up. This problem is dangerous as well as the vehicle suddenly loses power in the middle of the road.

Please Help!

thanks

Sriraj
Old 7th September 2016, 06:06   #4292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The front and rear washer motors have conked off again for the third time in 1 year. And both shout off at the same time.

Any ideas if the problem is with the motors or the electric circuitry.
Problem is with motors (not the electric circuitry), and that's due to what's in the tank. My car's washer motors were both replaced last week for the first time in almost 7 years.

Water with particles in it tends to clog and jam the motors, as also certain types of washer fluids. I make sure I usually add only drinking water, or filter the water before pouring it in. And prolonged non-use of the washer motors causes scales to form and jam them as well. A few taps with a screwdriver handle on the motor get it working again.

It's just that accessing the washer bottle and motors is such a pain on the Scorpio.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 07:45   #4293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Problem is with motors (not the electric circuitry), and that's due to what's in the tank. My car's washer motors were both replaced last week for the first time in almost 7 years.

Water with particles in it tends to clog and jam the motors, as also certain types of washer fluids. I make sure I usually add only drinking water, or filter the water before pouring it in. And prolonged non-use of the washer motors causes scales to form and jam them as well. A few taps with a screwdriver handle on the motor get it working again.

It's just that accessing the washer bottle and motors is such a pain on the Scorpio.
Thanks a lot SS, will try this out once I reach back to India. You are right, its a pain finding some one to have the replacement done.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 21:25   #4294
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Need some help.
Facing strange issue with my scorpio 2006, car shudders while initial acceleration. No problem once it's past a certain RPM.
It also jerks if I depress the accelerator pedal suddenly.

Any clues, what could be wrong?
Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:08   #4295
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Facing strange issue with my scorpio 2006, car shudders while initial acceleration. No problem once it's past a certain RPM.
It also jerks if I depress the accelerator pedal suddenly.
Most likely worn out engine/GB mounts. Have them checked.
Old 12th December 2016, 12:30   #4296
BHPian

since last 2 months the fuse of Horn / Hazard lamp & indicator has blown thrice and workshop folks are unable to trace the rootcause instead they gave me around 5 extra fuses .any pointers pls help ! Mine is 2010 SLE model running on OE batteries last week was advised to change the battery due to volatge drop on cranking .
Old 24th December 2016, 20:46   #4297

Hi guys
I own and drive a 2015 Scorpio S4+ 4wd . I have run the vehicle 56000 km so far , just today while I was driving home from work I saw the fuel indicator light on , I am full tank actually , well then I realised the vehicle wasn't running like it usually does and was cramping for pick-up , any ideas what this could mean?? Some help will be appreciated
Old 25th December 2016, 21:50   #4298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRoller View Post
Hi guys
I own and drive a 2015 Scorpio S4+ 4wd . I have run the vehicle 56000 km so far , just today while I was driving home from work I saw the fuel indicator light on , I am full tank actually , well then I realised the vehicle wasn't running like it usually does and was cramping for pick-up , any ideas what this could mean?? Some help will be appreciated
It means your fuel filter is blocked or there is water in your fuel pump. Please get it checked. It mostly happens when there is adulterated diesel fuel. Did you fill up from your regular station or was this one a random one?
Old 8th February 2017, 21:44   #4299
BHPian

Hello All,

Its been a while since I visited this forum, glad to be back and hear from the veterans.

I have done 128000 KM in my 2009 SLE, for past more than a year I've mostly resorted to do-it-yourself approach. Just after monsoon one of the my major repair project involved the overhaul of the entire front suspension. I had to do this after detecting a broken front spring. I still cant figure out how & when it broke, I suspect it might have happened in one my weekly Alibaug trips during the rains last year. Trust me i went over potholes as deep as 2ft! post which the vehicle developed lot of creaks and unusual sound. Following which upon inspection i detected the broken spring until then was oblivious of the damage.

I could eradicate most of the noise/creaks, in my overhaul project one thing led to the other with trial & error ended up replacing the bolt joints, Arm bushings, both Front Springs, Front and Rear Shocks (monroe), rear link rods, balance rod bushing kits. Later I figured out that the major noise was due to the rusting in the front side underneath the front bumper and there were crack around both the body mounts just near the condenser. I had a local welder patch up the rusted area with metal.

I am still struggling to eliminate 3 unusual sound/rattle/noise and have been living with it. My last resort would be swallowing my pride and visit the ASC. (My experience with all the 3 ASCs of Mumba in the past wasnt pleasant though . )

Before I venture ahead - I thought would seek second opinion from the veterans in this forum, my apologies for the sloppiness in describing the noise

Noise 1: To me it appears to be major and critical one, i hear single rattle from the rear when i go over a bump slowly (sound like Klaack!). Recently I got a loud metal breaking sound while going over a over sized rubble strips at around 30 km/hr (I get no sound if i go slowly over any bumps - its the normal Klaack!). The usual suspects the link rods, bush kits and shocks already has been replaced, the rear springs are intact too. I suspect it may be the Propeller shaft bearings or something inside the differential or the couplings. I figured out that there is some play and mild klaack can be recreated while rotating the shaft by hand (with a jerk). The loud sound i got it thrice and each time i went over a large bump at slight high speed than usual. The sound is so loud that it would turns heads of the pedestrian around.
Could this sound be from the differential or the coupling? Am I missing anything else?

Noise 2: An intermittent sound from the engine, the sound is similar to a electrical short circuit feels like its from a moving part (Kirrrrk kirrr!). The sound comes from in around the AC compressor, alternator region. Difficult to recreate the sound coz it comes and goes, mostly comes while engine is idling after a drive.

Noise 3: A humming sound after a driving while engine is slow running in stand still position. No sound during a cold start.

Has anyone come across similar issues. Hoping to get a lead here to start working on the right direction.

Thanks
Realman
Old 8th May 2017, 11:38   #4300
BANNED

I’m adding a post about the recent repair carried out on our Scorpio’s t/charger (2004 Glx non-crde). The core unit (consisting of the bearing housing and the rotor shaft complete with the turbine & blower) has been replaced with a new one, the work having been carried out at the Holset turbocharger charger service centre here in Lucknow

The problem was detected incidentally while investigating an oil leak in the vicinity of the oil filter & t/charger. The air filter housing & trunking was removed to gain access to the t/charger’s blower end. The shaft play was easily detected by placing the fore finger on the end of the shaft and trying to jiggle it in a vertical plane (up & down). Having detected the damage the next step was to locate a reliable supplier for a spare core. And this is where the story becomes interesting. Scorpio spare parts dealers admitted to having spare cores ranging from Rs. 2500/- to Rs. 12000/- (from Chinese imports to “imported from Germany” items!).
Finally, I decided to get the work done at the authorised Holset service centre. The cost of the service (including cost of spare core, disassembly, cleaning and re-assembly of the t/charger with new core) came to Rs. 8900/-.

After the re-assembled t/charger was brought back to our FNG (who has been entrusted with treating most of our Scorpio’s ailments over the years), it was fitted & mounted back onto the engine. The service technician recommended I renew the air filter too, which I did. The removal & fitting back of the T/charger at the FNG came to Rs.1800/-, including the cost of the air filter.
This was two weeks ago and till date the engine performace has been satisfactory.
A few photos of the work done follows, to add weight to the old adage “one picture is worth a thousand words!”
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpio-tch-repair2.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpio-tch-repair3.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpio-tch-repair.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpio-tch-repair4.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpio-tch-repair5.jpg  

shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 14:39   #4301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I’m adding a post about the recent repair carried out on our Scorpio’s t/charger (2004 Glx non-crde).
=========
A few photos of the work done follows, to add weight to the old adage “one picture is worth a thousand words!”
Thanks for sharing this valuable info, much appreciated !!! It is very useful to persons like me who are still maintaining their old Scorpios. Saving this info for future reference.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 09:05. Reason: trimmed quoted post
AarEmm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 16:31   #4302
BHPian

Quote:
I’m adding a post about the recent repair carried out on our Scorpio’s t/charger (2004 Glx non-crde). The core unit (consisting of the bearing housing and the rotor shaft complete with the turbine & blower) has been replaced with a new one, the work having been carried out at the Holset turbocharger charger service centre here in Lucknow
This was two weeks ago and till date the engine performace has been satisfactory.
Very interesting and useful information. I had the same model Scorpio and was extremely happy with it . I felt it better than the current generation 2.2 CRDE, for whatever reason ! Would be curious to know the KM on your vehicle.
Thanks
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 17:39   #4303
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Thanks for sharing this valuable info, much appreciated !!! It is very useful to persons like me who are still maintaining their old Scorpios. Saving this info for future reference.
Hello AarEmm,
Very glad to be of help! M&M really need to clean up their act as far as their ASS is concerned. The newly appointed dealer (+service centre) in my neighbourhood - Gomti Motors - is in the usual contemporary style, all glass & chrome with a comfortable waiting zone. But they were uninterested in hearing me out & were just doing their best to sell me a complete new t/charger. Till I explained that I had investigated the problem & that I was a retired marine engineer & t/chargers had been my bread & butter for over 3 decades. Then their attitude changed abruptly & they closed the conversation saying that no cores were available. Fortunately our FNG had informed me earlier that cores were very much available & that one just needed to exercise caution when buying one. And this finally led me to decide on the Holset authorised service centre. No problems so far! Like you said, we love our Bucephalus too much to think of letting it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Very interesting and useful information. I had the same model Scorpio and was extremely happy with it . I felt it better than the current generation 2.2 CRDE, for whatever reason ! Would be curious to know the KM on your vehicle.
Thanks
Hello AutoSphere,
You have a lot of folks sharing your opinion - that the original Scorpio was better than the current one! And I'm glad that you found the information in my post useful. Our Scorpio (our Bucephalus) has 185K kms on the ODO, which is not really high considering the vintage. And the reason is that we dont run it much in the city, preferring to use it for longer tours (usually to Naukuchiatal in Uttaranchal & the odd run to Kolkata. Our thread "Naukuchiatal - Far from the madding crowd" in the travelogue section captures our continuing love affair with the place!).

Like you, we too love our old war horse and - as I mentioned to AarEmm above - we don't plan on letting go of it!
Old 15th May 2017, 17:52   #4304
BHPian

Quote:
Hello AarEmm,
Very glad to be of help! M&M really need to clean up their act as far as their ASS is concerned. ..................
True that. I have stopped going to the dealers and rely on my FNG. I have done only 1.64k kms on my Scorpio and like you mentioned can't think of letting it go. Though, mine is a Delhi registered vehicle, I am not sure what will happen once I complete 15 years ( 2 more years to go) and this stupid law of phasing out older vehicles in the name of NGT.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 09:05. Reason: trimmed quoted post
AarEmm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 20:34   #4305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
True that. I have stopped going to the dealers and rely on my FNG. I have done only 1.64k kms on my Scorpio and like you mentioned can't think of letting it go. Though, mine is a Delhi registered vehicle, I am not sure what will happen once I complete 15 years ( 2 more years to go) and this stupid law of phasing out older vehicles in the name of NGT.
Yes, my sympathies are fully with you. Though the NGT phasing out of 15+ year olds is, in my view, difficult to implement and may even be abandoned or modified. Amen!

Most Viewed