Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 08:26   #16
BHPian

Re: A thud while braking from rear!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm View Post
I have a similar issue on my Baleno, but its a metal noise from the front right wheel. Had a check with my mechanic and found the calliper pin (tats wat they call it ) had rust. (It is a sort of piston like thing) They tried cleaning it, but still the noise is there. Now I am in search of the pin around the spare part shops, but failed to find it yet.
looks like we're going in tangents now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I second this. Please do check if the sound goes off once the brakes dry up.

The other thing i would check is the suspension. Sometimes stiff suspension set up causes this sound.
It gets washed twice a week, but I get this problem every-time when the car is sitting idle for many hours, typically in the mornings. Also the jerk felt on slow braking is almost felt all the time, somehow indicating something wrong with the rear set-up. I pump the pedal many times in the morning to get rid of this jerk+sound, & after a few pedals ( read 10 pedals ), the sound fades away & the jerk also calms down but declines to go away completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Dont know the details as I have never done it myself. But I have seen mechanics do it.
Somehow I feel you got the nerve of the issue & I am confident that this would do the trick my man!! I will check with local garage too, they seem to be generally better at things like these. Do you think if it's a safe option? That'd also keep me from waiting forever for this Trident guy showing up at my residence in one of many unknown such mornings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Let me recount a little story. When I bought the Verna, the spare wheel came with a provision to fasten it to the boot floor. Basically a screw that wound down the center of the steel wheel.

When I bought the alloys, there was no hole in the center and no provision to fasten them down. As a result, every time I brake hard, there is a loud thud from the rear, like a heavy box dropping in the boot

So if your spare wheel is an alloy, or (if its a steel wheel) check if its unfastened. Unlikely that just a 11K old Verna will have axle or brake problems.

Wow, very definitive reply. Nothing against your knowledge dude, but if my suspicion of a loose spare wheel comes true -
This is a SX, so it came with alloys. It has the provision to tighten the stepney. Thanks, but as i said there is nothing loose in the boot. In fact there is nothing at all there ..

Thanks All - Shall keep you posted.

Last edited by avigster : 25th May 2011 at 08:30.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thud from the rear while braking!!

@Avigster.

Just to eliminate other parameters do you get the sound even while reversing.

The sound could also be from the suspension spring which i get sometimes in my Jetta too.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post

Somehow I feel you got the nerve of the issue & I am confident that this would do the trick my man!! I will check with local garage too, they seem to be generally better at things like these. Do you think if it's a safe option? That'd also keep me from waiting forever for this Trident guy showing up at my residence in one of many unknown such mornings.
Yes, thes guys are good at it, especially with suspension and brake works. Just be sure that you are taking your car to a well known mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Avigster.

Just to eliminate other parameters do you get the sound even while reversing.

The sound could also be from the suspension spring which i get sometimes in my Jetta too.
This sound is heard because of the brake shoes locking with the drum. They get pulled towards the drum due to forward motion of the wheels. So this noise will not be heard while reversing as the direction of the wheel is reversed and it will tend to push the brake shoes away away.

@Avigster: Pl confirm this for me.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 19:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Yes, thes guys are good at it, especially with suspension and brake works. Just be sure that you are taking your car to a well known mechanic.

This sound is heard because of the brake shoes locking with the drum. They get pulled towards the drum due to forward motion of the wheels. So this noise will not be heard while reversing as the direction of the wheel is reversed and it will tend to push the brake shoes away away.

@Avigster: Pl confirm this for me.
That's true. Only while moving ahead!! When I apply the brakes, the car comes to a halt with a thrust almost immediately also producing a loud thud. I also feel that when i apply the brakes the rear of the car bends down a bit, just before it comes to a halt & thuds. Thanks.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

You have to get it checked as i feel it has to do with something in the brake assembly.

I also feel it could just be the suspension. sorry for confusing.
Old 25th May 2011, 21:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

If its very evident why dont you get it checked by a garage, should be easy to find out. Dont delay problems associated with brakes.
Old 25th May 2011, 22:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If its very evident why dont you get it checked by a garage, should be easy to find out. Dont delay problems associated with brakes.

That's the idea Jaggu ji. I am in the standby mode waiting for a service consultant to show up. I know the moment I drive the car around for a while, the entire symptomology subsides.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:09   #23
BHPian

So, the service consultant showed up this morning & acknowledged the noise. He'd like to get the car tomorrow for a thorough brake & rear suspension set-up inspection. Will keep you all good people posted.

Thanks.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:37   #24
BHPian

Took the car to the service centre, & they opened up the rear wheels. almost 100 grams of dirt per drum was extracted. The car seems better now, monitoring right now! Thanks all..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks