Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 11:08   #1
BHPian

My Safari ABS does not engage?

Hello all,

I recently had the experience of applying hard-brakes due to some guy just decided to take U-Turn from left most lane through a gap in the road-divider on NH8! I must be close to 80kmph. No damage done except the fact that I felt the ABS did not engage.

Though my Safari is supposed to have ABS -- its a VX 4x4, I felt the wheels locked and I did not hear the typical ABS sound/vibration from the wheels. The ABS-diagnostics light does come up and goes off when I switch ON the SUV.

I complained about this during the 2nd service to Acumen Motors, Pune. They ran some test using their scanner and said everything is fine. But, they did not do road test for it. It was getting late, so I had to bring it back. I plan to take it back to them for the same.

Any other Safari 4x4 owners experienced it?

Regards
-a
Old 26th May 2011, 12:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My Safari ABS does not engage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post
Hello all,

I recently had the experience of applying hard-brakes due to some guy just decided to take U-Turn from left most lane through a gap in the road-divider on NH8! I must be close to 80kmph. No damage done except the fact that I felt the ABS did not engage.

Though my Safari is supposed to have ABS -- its a VX 4x4, I felt the wheels locked and I did not hear the typical ABS sound/vibration from the wheels. The ABS-diagnostics light does come up and goes off when I switch ON the SUV.

I complained about this during the 2nd service to Acumen Motors, Pune. They ran some test using their scanner and said everything is fine. But, they did not do road test for it. It was getting late, so I had to bring it back. I plan to take it back to them for the same.

Any other Safari 4x4 owners experienced it?

Regards
-a
If the OBD shows normals, get your ABS sensors cleaned and try hard braking on a deserted road after that.The ABS light should also glow once engaged.
Old 26th May 2011, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Sometimes you get the screeching sound from the tyres even before they start to skid. Happened with me in my SX4 once on hard braking. But once I stopped and checked, I could not see any skid marks on the road.
Old 26th May 2011, 13:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did you feel any vibrations on the brake pedal? If yes, then the ABS kicked in. If no, then ABS did not kick in. Also in most of the cars for ABS to kick in you need to be literally standing on the brake pedal. So do a couple of tests in a controlled environment (deserted place and good tarmac road). Just drive up to 40kmph. Keep the steering straight and then stand on the brake pedal. If all is ok with the ABS, then it should kick in. Also when ABS is active you will feel the brake pedal vibrating under your foot. Look out for this vibration.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmits_bhp View Post
.... No damage done except the fact that I felt the ABS did not engage.
Sometimes even with ABS engaged, you will hear tyres squealing. The best way to find out is to brake hard in controlled conditions, and see if the ABS light comes on, and in some cases you get to feel it in the pedal. The best place to check will be somewhere with very little traction, so that low speed is enough to activate ABS.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:22   #6
BHPian

At 80km, You press hard break, and still vehicle won't skid? I am not sure, either you didn't stomp the break for wheel to lock or ABS did kick in. I think in the 'moment' you were more focused to avoid hitting and hence didn't feel ABS operation!
Old 26th May 2011, 14:26   #7
AVR
BHPian

The tyre skid marks on an ABS-enabled car under hard braking are not 2 continuous black lines but two dashed/broken black lines. If you are willing to test, this would be a good way of knowing whether your Safari's ABS is working or not. Please find an empty road and go ahead!
Old 26th May 2011, 14:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The ABS light should also glow once engaged.
I tested the Fabia's ABS system, sped up till 60kmph, slammed the brakes. I felt the ABS working & all, although I did not see the ABS light go on during this. Asked the SA, but he said it does not come on in the Fabia!
Old 26th May 2011, 15:26   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The ABS light should also glow once engaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
and see if the ABS light comes on
You guys sure about that? Both my ABS-equipped cars - the Civic & the C220 - don't have any ABS light blinking when it's activated. Of course, there is the distinct pulsating pedal feel, but no light at all.

@ Akmits : If you really want to test your ABS, take the Safari on an empty, slippery road (low traction setup like a sand-infested stretch, for instance). Slam on the brakes at 60 kph and you should feel the pedal pulsate.

EDIT: Vikram D's correction accepted. It's best that you do NOT test the ABS in the way I recommended at 60 kph.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2011 at 00:32.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 15:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

No ABS light on my swift VDi too when engaged. You feel it in the pedal though
Old 26th May 2011, 15:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Even in the Swift the ABs light does not come on when the ABS kicks in. This feature I gues varies from car to car.

GTO dude, your second point is a sure fire recipe for disaster. 60kph on a sand infested road and then slam the brake? On a sand infested road even 10 kph is enough to check ABS. The reason I am saying this is because on a sandy road the car will skid even with ABS. The slightest steering input at this point and a high GC vehicle like a Safari doing 60kph is a sure fire recipe for you know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You guys sure about that? Both my ABS-equipped cars - the Civic & the C220 - don't have any ABS light blinking when it's activated. Of course, there is the distinct pulsating pedal feel, but no light at all.

@ Akmits : If you really want to test your ABS, take the Safari on an empty, slippery road (low traction setup like a sand-infested stretch, for instance). Slam on the brakes at 60 kph and you should feel the pedal pulsate.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2011 at 09:47. Reason: When I post, I do so as a Member. No Moderator Hat on
Old 26th May 2011, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are right, I checked with Bosch(who is the ONLY ABS manufacturer in India), the light glows only under malfunction. (I thought I had read light on activation, I was wrong)

The only way to detect ABS in Action is the pulsating brake pedal and continuous clicking noise.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 16:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
GTO dude, your second point is a sure fire recipe for disaster. 60kph on a sand infested road and then slam the brake? On a sand infested road even 10 kph is enough to check ABS. The reason I am saying this is because on a sandy road the car will skid even with ABS. The slightest steering input at this point and a high GC vehicle like a Safari doing 60kph is a sure fire recipe for you know what.
Actually, NO, it won't be disaster. I have tested an Apache RTR with ABS on a wet road, slammed the brakes at 80kmph, the bike just stopped in a straight line. You should see the effects of the same braking in the same conditions with a bike without ABS, trust me, you will never buy a bike or car without ABS in your life.
The ABS system helps you steer & control a vehicle in emergency\panic braking situations, it doesn't worsen it.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2011 at 09:48. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Old 26th May 2011, 16:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, I have been driving 2 ABS equipped cars for the last 7 years now. So I know what the ABS can and can't do. A bike on a wet road is a completely different scenario to a 2 ton monster doing 60kph on a sandy road. I know what happens. I have tried it, although not in a safari but in my ABS equipped Swift. At 40kph on a sandy road I stood on the brakes all the while holding the steering absolutely straight and the car fish-tailed. Guess why? A small stone came under on of the rear wheels and the EBD system went all bonkers and caused the car to fish tail.

There is huge difference between how ABS reacts on a wet road and how it reacts on a mud patch or sand/slush. I have hit the brakes at 140kmph on my Swift in pouring rain on a good tarmac road and have come to a perfectly controlled stand still. Where as on sand, see what happened at 40kph.

And if you want to try it, you are most welcome to. Take the RTR on to a sandy road and slam the brakes at let's say 40kph and you will know the difference that I am talking about.

Anyways, I think we are going seriously OT now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Actually, NO, it won't be disaster. I have tested an Apache RTR with ABS on a wet road, slammed the brakes at 80kmph, the bike just stopped in a straight line. You should see the effects of the same braking in the same conditions with a bike without ABS, trust me, you will never buy a bike or car without ABS in your life.
The ABS system helps you steer & control a vehicle in emergency\panic braking situations, it doesn't worsen it.

Last edited by vikram_d : 26th May 2011 at 16:38.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
And if you want to try it, you are most welcome to. Take the RTR on to a sandy road and slam the brakes at let's say 40kph and you will know the difference that I am talking about.
Actually, I have not by choice though. Had to panic brake on a trip to Goa with 6 adults in my friends Safari, on the Solapur route, road had sand, mud, stones all over the place, thrown over by a truck carrying construction material.
Am sure your circumstances must've been different for the car to fish tail. However, no one is questioning your good intent, only discussing ABS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks