Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 11:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Adding a second battery to my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr77k View Post
I thought of the same thing! But, you are increasing the alternator charging current which can be a problem with a stock alternator.
Well could not understand why should current increase , Lets say that Alternator is 130 Amp then it should charge a 65AH battery in 30 mts where as a 130 AH battery ( 2 batteries in parallel) will charge in 1 hour ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr77k View Post
I would suggest to go for isolated electric circuitry if you are going for a separate battery. This would be important to ensure that you dont have loop currents between the batteries!
What is a loop current and how it will be formed ?
Old 15th August 2018, 21:28   #17

Second battery Setup for Camping, 12V DC only

So I want to add a second/backup battery for camping purposes (either inside or next to the car), albeit with following requirements/observations -

1. With more electronics available, my camping needs will be satisfied with 12v devices - Led Lights, Fan, 4-5 port Gadget charger, running off of 12v directly, to power/charge Phone/Tablet. Hence I do not want a typical inverter, to first convert DC to AC and then converting that AC power back to DC to power most wall socket devices.

2. The internet informs that a battery can not be charged/discharged at the same time (rightly so) and when the Battery is not connected to a Charger, the Devices are the Load for the Battery, whereas when the Charger is connected to the battery, both Battery and Devices are the Load for the Charger.

3. My camping idea is as follows -

a. Camping in isolation - all devices are running off the battery.
b. Camping near a habitation - use 100-200 feet extension wire to rent AC power from any hospitable people and connect it to the charger which can charge the battery as well as power the devices connected further to the battery.

4. I presume to use this kind of a Battery Charger - https://www.amazon.in/Magic-Power-10...4347655&sr=8-2
in this kind of a setup - AC Power - Battery Charger - Battery - Devices (as shown in diagram).

Aspect A -

Since the batter charger is meant to charge the battery, I am not sure, if the above mentioned setup is right or some other kind of charging/power setup is required. Experts are requested to kindly shed more light on this aspect.

Aspect B -

Secondly, to perhaps add a Solar Panel is more of an afterthought, but still more information/suggestion on this would be welcome.

Aspect C -

Lastly, I saw a lot of information about using/upgrading the car alternator to charge the second battery too, however I am not too clear on that aspect. There was suggestion of either upgrading the car alternator and using it with battery Isolator or using a Dual Output Alternator.

Generally, it seemed to suggest that this adds a benefit of being able to use second battery to help start the car.

Although, if the need be, I can do that manually to and use jumper cables for that. Although it would be nice to have the option to charge the second battery while the car is cruising, so please shed some light on this aspect too.

I plan to do this in a Pajero GLX or a XTrail T31.

Pardon my naivety in case I wrote something illogical. Expert suggestions are eagerly sought/awaited. Please discuss in modular manner, as Aspect B and C are nice to have but not mandatory.

Attached Thumbnails
Adding a second battery to my car-carbackup.jpg  

ClassicD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 09:46   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Second battery Setup for Camping, 12V DC only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicD View Post
So I want to add a second/backup battery for camping purposes (either inside or next to the car), albeit with following requirements/observations
Merged your post with an existing discussion on the same topic. Be sure to read this thread in detail, and the others I've linked to on the 1st page.

One more recommended read for you - link.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks