Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2019, 17:04   #1546
BHPian

This was done at VW service center or outside and were OEM parts used. I got my 2 shockers, disc brake and bush replaced in 30k. I got my work done from go mechanics guys and I made sure OEM parts were used.
Old 21st June 2019, 10:55   #1547
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I have a 2016 VW Polo Petrol. Has done around 30k km. I am noticing a strange behavior of late, when I brake at speeds north of 60 to come to a complete halt there is this weird mild shakiness and unsettled feel from the front of the car. I am mostly a sane driver and brake pretty early and progressively. Could this be the tyres or the brake pads?
Old 22nd June 2019, 22:52   #1548
Distinguished - BHPian

Took my 2014 GT TDI in for its fifth-year annual service yesterday.

Despite being a whole year since its extended warranty expired, I decided to stick with the VW dealer/service station I've been using. That's Chennai's Volkswagen Mount's Road (Sundaram Motors).

I specifically excluded the AC "disinfectant," which I noticed had cost Rs800 on a previous service! Then, in a week moment, I asked about fitting the low-tone horn, and the SA said 3,500+ tax, and I said yes. I seem to remember from members' posts here that there are cheaper ways of getting it. But anyway, my VW sounds like a real VW now

I also excluded any sort of exterior work, as I have other plans. They still returned the car washed and cleaned inside and out.

Of note was the effect of renewing the brake fluid. I noticed how much sharper the brakes are immediately.

My wife has been complaining that the car is sounding like an Indicab. I think they have fixed that, probably with the usual oil change, but she is yet to inspect and confirm. The car seems quieter and smoother to me, and acceleration seems improved.

I was annoyed that they told me to come at 5pm but the car was not ready until 6.30. Especially as I had left it there the previous day. I was patient until 6pm, but the final half hour pushed me past my limit.

None-the less, I am pleased with the results of the service, which seem more dramatic than in previous years. I don't know what changed: "magic" was not mentioned on the invoice!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 17:16   #1549
BHPian

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I have a question.

Two days before I had parked my polo on a busy road. When I came back I saw end section of my rear bumper, almost 20 cm long, on side jutting out with the end connector (small ring with plastic rivet that apparently connects bumper to body) broken. Must be some vehicle's part got entangled while maneuvering and pulled off that end. Sorry that moment it did not occurred to me that I should take photo and now I don't want to pull it out again.

When I pressed it inside it got aligned and snapped in place. From outside it looks like nothing has happened and there are no new sounds of something loose.

Can I get the rivet replaced or it is a long procedure to remove entire bumper and re-fit?

How serious is this issue? In the sense, does it need immediate attention or I can carry on for a while?

Service station is 15 kms away and visit means half day to be spared. That's why asking. Please reply.
Old 29th June 2019, 12:02   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I have a question.

Can I get the rivet replaced or it is a long procedure to remove entire bumper and re-fit?
The bumper has male groves that snap on the body. There should be no rivets as far as i know. It is a snap on fit unless the groves have cracked or broken. If you have pressed it back in place, no need to worry.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 22:49   #1551
BHPian

I wanted to replace the rotors and pads on my Vento TSI. My primary concern is non dust and 50k kms life if possible? I was thinking of going for brembo. Are they good? If not, anything else? I'm thinking of a budget around 10k. I have an option to import from UK or UAE as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 25th July 2019, 10:40   #1552
Senior - BHPian

The tread depth for the front tyres of My Polo show just about 3mm.

I am inclined towards replacing them, Should I go ahead?

I am a bit confused between Bridgestone B290, Apollo Alnac & Michelin XM2.

Which one is the most durable, and abuse-friendly?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2019 at 11:39. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 25th July 2019, 14:26   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The tread depth for the front tyres of My Polo show just about 3mm.
I am inclined towards replacing them, Should I go ahead?

I am a bit confused between Bridgestone B290, Apollo Alnac & Michelin XM2.
Which one is the most durable, and abuse-friendly?
For durability and abuse friendliness, I would recommend Bridgestone out of the options you have given. Otherwise, Yokohama Earth1 is even more robust then B290 and gives a more softer ride in my opinion. Perfect for Indian conditions.

Last edited by KkVaidya : 25th July 2019 at 14:27.
Old 26th July 2019, 13:02   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
For durability and abuse friendliness, I would recommend Bridgestone out of the options you have given. Otherwise, Yokohama Earth1 is even more robust then B290 and gives a more softer ride in my opinion. Perfect for Indian conditions.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I went ahead and replaced all 4 Tyres with Bridgestone B290s (185/65 R14).

The tyres feel lovely.
The ride quality has completely transformed.
The steering also feels a bit lighter.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2019 at 11:39. Reason: Typo
Old 7th August 2019, 13:39   #1555
Senior - BHPian

How much should the 1st year service cost for a GT TSi in Bangalore ?
Old 29th August 2019, 11:28   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My Polo 1.6 has some engine leakage which I discovered 2 days back. The vehicle has hit no pothole on the sump. The pictures are attached for reference. The oil puddle below is after about 20 hrs of parking the car at the same spot (gives an indication of drain rate)

I have given the car for work at Shalom Garage Andheri. The guy has asked me to replace gaskets for sump, timing cover and the header. (quotation about 10K). Plus anything which will be discovered post the opening of components.

Quick check from experts here
  1. Does the diagnosis seem accurate?
  2. Is the quotation given reasonable?
  3. Any feedback on SHALOM?
  4. I understand that this is a common issue with high run 1.6 petrol VW engines (mine is 90K run vehicle). Is this true? Can anyone who has experienced this, give me a PM to discuss please?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20190828_173120.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_20190828_173115.jpg  

Last edited by 2000rpm : 29th August 2019 at 11:30.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:39   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
How much should the 1st year service cost for a GT TSi in Bangalore ?
Hi! Sorry for the delay.
Should be about 10-12 k.
Please be sure to avoid the non essentials like AC disinfection, wheel balancing and alignment , exterior beautification and interior enrichment.
Hope this post is useful.

Happy driving.
sunsetorange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:01   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Hi! Sorry for the delay.
Should be about 10-12 k.
Please be sure to avoid the non essentials like AC disinfection, wheel balancing and alignment , exterior beautification and interior enrichment.
Hope this post is useful.

Happy driving.
Thank you. The service is already done and the bill came to about 12,500 including pickup and drop.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2019 at 08:31. Reason: blame > came.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:03   #1559
BHPian

Hi all, appreciate all the info in this thread, thanks very much.

I have a '16 GT TSi which is due for its 3rd service (ODO currently only at 15500km). Had got it serviced exactly a year ago (ODO was at 12000km). I know I haven't done much mileage since then but do use the car regularly (4-5 times a week) for just very short distances around town. So this is what I plan to get done in the next service - any other pointers would be much appreciated:

1. Oil and filter change
2. Air filter change (will be changing to Euro spec air guide after the service hence want to change the filter now)
3. Ac/Pollen/Cabin filter change - can anyone guide on which ones exactly need to be changed? As far as I recall none of these have ever been changed.
4. Brakes check - the bite seems to have reduced a bit over the last few months.

Anything else to add? Obviously will avoid the ac disinfectant, battery recharge, unnecessary charges etc.

Many thanks.
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:16   #1560
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheel alignment is very important. On our bad roads it is likely to be put out every year. A tyre shop probably does it cheaper, maybe even better, but all done at once is very convenient.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed