Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 01:15   #1561

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Guys, I have been experiencing a humming noise from my 1.5 tdi for quite sometime. Upon inspection, realized that the front right wheel hub/bearing has been shot.
Does anyone know how much it will cost to replace a wheel hub from VW ASC? Sparesncare.com displayed two results for polo wheel hub. One is from Texspin(₹ 1998) and the other made by SKF(₹ 4725). Both claim to be OE equivalent. I wonder why there is such a huge difference in price.
Are the bearings same for all models of Polo?
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:08   #1562
Vmv
BHPian

Hi
I'm facing some issues with my 1.5 Polo TDI.
It's 60k km done recently. Service is done on 57k

1. I was on a trip and car was running continuously for 4 hrs, suddenly temperature 90 shows in the MID and then it increased to 95 and the AC efficiency also went down.
We turn off the car for a few min and temperature disappeared from MID. We start driving and it shows again, we turn off the AC this time and temperature disappeared from MID.
We gone to a Skoda / VW workshop and he suggested
a. Replace the compressor 17k cost
b. Check the thermostatic switch
c. Check for fan relay b and c combined 6k ~

2. And the very next day it shows some warning light in Speedo. Picture attached ,ABS and parking brake warning are from me only after the raining season I will be replacing the ABS sensor .The resolution suggested is
1. Error in the sensor, need to be cleaned or replaced.

I will do the replacement jobs from the service center only

Can any one please suggest a resolution or any one faced similar issues ?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-20190927_155852.jpg  

Old 6th October 2019, 16:42   #1563
BHPian

I am looking for a accessories shop to install the armrest bought from Aliexpress. Do you know of a reliable shop where it can be installed in Bangalore? Kindly note that they need to take off the quite a bit of the central console as mine is a manual shift version.

Thanks.
Old 8th October 2019, 21:14   #1564
BHPian

Does anyone know the reason VW are filling 4.8L of oil during service for the 1.5 engine when earlier it was 4.3L ?
Old 9th October 2019, 10:01   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH1N1G4MI View Post
Does anyone know the reason VW are filling 4.8L of oil during service for the 1.5 engine when earlier it was 4.3L ?
An educated guess is that the VW diesels consume engine oil as well, and they've found that the oil levels get dangerously low during the length of the service interval. It's easier to overfill a little bit rather than have the customer come back for a check 7000km after the service.
I've trained my VW diesel-owning friends to go for this very check to the local mechanic around the 6000km and to top up their oil.
isodope is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 07:54   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
An educated guess is that the VW diesels consume engine oil as well, and they've found that the oil levels get dangerously low during the length of the service interval. It's easier to overfill a little bit rather than have the customer come back for a check 7000km after the service.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. When I checked the oil after the service it was just above the max mark on the dipstick,add to that the SA not giving me any clear reasons why and I was really confused about the whole situation.
Old 17th October 2019, 09:09   #1567
BHPian

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH1N1G4MI View Post

Wow! If they're filling 500ml more than what is specified for the engine they're definitely aiming for engine damage in the near future. More oil than required is equally as damaging as low oil. You can check this in your car's manual in the engine oil and top-up section for the required quantity of oil.

I think it's a billing thing rather than an actual filling, but please do check - it's NOT normal to do this.

Do make sure your engine oil is not above the required level per the dipstick after it's been sitting for 30minutes.

Cheers,
Aayush
Old 20th October 2019, 10:47   #1568
Senior - BHPian

This is regarding a 2015 Polo 1.2 Mpi run 20k.
I had given it for it's 4th year service and they mentioned that the battery is weak.
I checked after getting the car back with the OBD scanner and the cranking voltage kept varying from 7.7 to 9. There is no delay in cranking time and it was just like before.

Attaching the video in which I cranked 4 times and once with the Headlights on after starting.

Does the battery still have juice left?

Old 20th October 2019, 16:02   #1569
Distinguished - BHPian

Those voltages look low, and, frankly, four years is not a bad life for a battery. Just replace it.

I have learnt the hard way (twice!) that trying to get an extra day, week or month out of an aging battery just leads to getting stuck somewhere, and means nothing in terms of long-term costs even if one succeeds.

Replace it before you have to, not on the day it fails!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 21:36   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Those voltages look low, and, frankly, four years is not a bad life for a battery. Just replace it.

I have learnt the hard way (twice!) that trying to get an extra day, week or month out of an aging battery just leads to getting stuck somewhere, and means nothing in terms of long-term costs even if one succeeds.

Replace it before you have to, not on the day it fails!
I was thinking it would last atleast a year more. On my previous car which was a petrol Figo with aux lamps, extra set of horns and a music system with the works, the battery lasted more than 6 years and the car had run double of this.

This car is stock and with the number of cranks lower, this should have lasted more. Surprised it is giving up unless my sister who's car it is, left some lights on when parked.

Last edited by tharian : 20th October 2019 at 21:37.
Old 20th October 2019, 21:45   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
the car had run double of this.
This seems to be the differentiator. 4+ years and 20k is low running. The battery charges when the car is run. A parked / car that runs very little, especially each run, is not great for the battery.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 22:22   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

I too do a very low mileage. My Polo's previous battery, I think, lasted four years. I have had batteries that lasted fewer.

When the engine is running, it is the alternator that takes the strain of powering the electrics. The pattern of usage certainly counts. When I crank up my car, I run it for 8-10 km. If it was for 100km, perhaps the battery would last longer?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 10:09   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
This seems to be the differentiator. 4+ years and 20k is low running. The battery charges when the car is run. A parked / car that runs very little, especially each run, is not great for the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I too do a very low mileage. My Polo's previous battery, I think, lasted four years. I have had batteries that lasted fewer.

When the engine is running, it is the alternator that takes the strain of powering the electrics. The pattern of usage certainly counts. When I crank up my car, I run it for 8-10 km. If it was for 100km, perhaps the battery would last longer?

Makes sense.

I will be changing it today. I guess the stock battery is an Exide. Is there another better brand which is suitable for the Polo petrol?
Old 21st October 2019, 10:14   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Makes sense.

I will be changing it today. I guess the stock battery is an Exide. Is there another better brand which is suitable for the Polo petrol?
I have found Amaron to be good. I know many who are happy with Amaron. You may want to go for a slightly higher capacity than the OE.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 12:04   #1575
Distinguished - BHPian

All that the battery needs to do is work... To start the car every time. Sufficient capacity to do that is sufficient capacity.

Unless there is extra needs like overnight parking lights, entertainment while engine stopped for long periods, etc. Maybe.

When I replaced my TDI battery, some people said I should have got a bigger one. It has never been any problem.

There may be other reasons, like lots of stops and restarts, meriting a larger capacity, but for majority of cases, standard should be fine.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks