Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 14:04   #496
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I had the first unfortunate experience of getting my Polo towed in 2 years. My car is a March 2012 Polo petrol.

I had gone to a friend's place on Saturday night. I left at 1.30AM at night. As soon as a started my car, i felt huge vibrations with Engine Check Light on. I was surprised as the car did not have any hint of an issue till now, even to the point of driving to friend's place.

Anyway, I left my car parked at his place only and went home in a rick. Next day being Sunday, I was skeptical about getting the issue resolved. So I reached the workshop at 10AM (VW Thane) and asked the receptionist for getting my car towed (incidentally, the friend I was visiting stays at Thane, so it was not a long distance away).

The receptionist said that since the car has not completed 2 years, I need to approach VW RSA directly through call center and that workshop does not have any role to play in RSA. I called us the RSA toll free number and after taking my details, the call center guy conferenced me with the tow truck person and gave me details of the tow truck driver. This was around 11.30AM. I was promised that the truck would arrive by 12.15.

I went to my friend's place and waited. The truck arrived bang on time. There was a single driver and he very professionally loaded up and secured my car on the truck. Went to the service station with him in his truck (casual chat let me know that such tow truck service would cost 2500/- if we do t on our own, not sure how accurate that is).

Anyway, once at the service station, I was assigned a service engineer in 10 mins who opened a job card promptly. Then he checked my car. As soon as he started the car, he could make out that one of the cylinders are not functioning. Opened the bonnet and voila! One of the wired connecting the cylinder spark plug trigger socket had come loose (most probably rat menace). He gave an estimate (around 400 Rs) and said it will be done in an hour.

I went out for lunch, came back and the car was ready as promised. Although it was a small repair (soldering of wire) the cost was high as it also included connecting the ecu to diagnostic software to check for other issues (diagnostic analysis itself cost around 250 bucks). Anyway, since I did not want to drive the car in that condition, I agreed and that was closed. Additionally also renewed my RSA, felt that the service was good.

The service advisor Mahesh was polite and ready to clear all queries. My best experience till now over 4 visits to VW workshop. He also called and checked next day if things are working fine.

Finally, I asked if the car can be driven in emergency situation with just 2 cylinders working? He said that apart from vibration, less power and associated clutch slip, the car can be driven in case such a situation occurs at a remote place.

Have my 2nd annual service next month. Will add more updates then.
vivekz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 12:42   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Anybody replaced their wiper blades? has anybody changed to hella dynablades? Please give your feedback.
Hi. I have used the Bosch AeroTwin wiper blades on my previously owned Swift and have used the Hella DynaEdge wiper blades on my currently owned Polo 1.6. My personal feedback is that the Bosch definitely scores over the Hella wiper blades hands down.

My Bosch blades lasted for over 1.5 years after which I sold off the car but the Hella wiper blades had to be changed within a year of use. I have actually retained the OE blades which came with the car and which are Bosch and which will need to be replaced now before the monsoons. I will be continuing with the OE blades only. I personally do not recommend Hella DynaEdge.

Hi guys,

Got the second service done for my Polo 1.6 just yesterday and everything was smooth and as expected.

I believe they replicate the same changes as per first service like engine oil, air filter, AC filter, engine oil filter, spark plugs and wheel alignment and balancing. But additionally they did open up and clean the cowl below the windshield and also the brakes. I was also told that my brake pads and brake discs will need to be changed soon and even though it is done by default during the second service, I can use the car for another 5k kilometers and then get them changed. So I have decided to do this in the first week of June. I was a billed a total of 11.3k for the second service.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th February 2014 at 14:38.
Old 27th February 2014, 13:12   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Spark plugs? Surely they have a life of several years?
Old 27th February 2014, 13:47   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Spark plugs? Surely they have a life of several years?
Yes I believe the same would apply to brake pads and disks too but they state this is due to Indian conditions.
Old 27th February 2014, 14:07   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi. I have used the Bosch AeroTwin wiper blades on my previously owned Swift and have used the Hella DynaEdge wiper blades on my currently owned Polo 1.6. My personal feedback is that the Bosch definitely scores over the Hella wiper blades hands down.

My Bosch blades lasted for over 1.5 years after which I sold off the car but the Hella wiper blades had to be changed within a year of use. I have actually retained the OE blades which came with the car and which are Bosch and which will need to be replaced now before the monsoons. I will be continuing with the OE blades only. I personally do not recommend Hella DynaEdge.
Thanks for your feedback, Epic! Unfortunately I have already picked up the Hella Dynaedge and replaced them on my car. Let's see how long they last!
Old 27th February 2014, 16:11   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes I believe the same would apply to brake pads and disks too but they state this is due to Indian conditions.
How long brake pads last is entirely down to a combination of mileage and driving style, eg, how much, and how hard, one uses them.

I wonder about this "Indian conditions." Real? Or a way to increase sales?

I have not checked the service booklet. Does it mention spark plugs?
Old 27th February 2014, 16:40   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long brake pads last is entirely down to a combination of mileage and driving style, eg, how much, and how hard, one uses them.

Not checked the service booklet yet but details of my first service did not have spark plugs mentioned in the invoice.
Old 27th February 2014, 20:01   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nothing to do with Indian condition - Driving terrain will make a difference.

Front brake pads on my Polo lasted for 45k kms. It is best to replace brake disk also along with pads. Polo's rear brake shoe will last for at least 75k kms.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:12   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishraak View Post
Hi All,

I own a Feb 2013 made Polo 1.2P.

Day before yesterday, while driving from office to home my Check Engine Light lit up, I immediately parked to the left and switched off/on the engine but the light remained. There was no other issue with the performance of the car otherwise.

Yesterday I thought of visiting VW motinagar to get it resolved but my day schedule did not permit me to do so, In the evening I thought of taking the car to workshop but to my suprise the CEL was not there, I again cycled between engine on/off but CEL remained off. I drove back home as I had to go to some function which was 30Kms away from my place.

While returning back the light came on again and was lit but no issues in driving. It was present in the morning as well so I visited the VW motinagar and explained them the case.

The SA opened a job card saying VAGCOM will not function unless job card is opened. OK. He returned 10 minutes later and said there is a good and a bad news, good is you can take the car back and bad news is Throttle Body is problematic and would be required to be replaced. They have raised a backorder and will inform when it arrives.

I enquired that on less than one year old and only 11000 kms car, how is it possible, he said there was an issue with some 2013 manufactured cars and are replacing it under warranty for users reporting the issue and have even replaced it for a customer who had clocked only 900 kms recently.

I asked how safe is it to drive the car with family, he said the problem is only in intial stage and since u are not facing any issue with driving u can continue doing so otherwise your car is in warranty and can avail RSA. Great!!

I would like to ask my fellow owners have they faced any similar issue w.r.t Throttle body.

CEL is off right now.

Thanks to all for reading.
Hi,

Finally the TB has got replaced, the car now feels smoother with better throttle response. Noise also feels somewhat reduced.

It took one full day for them to fix the same as their computer was down from Pune. but all is well that ends well.

Another problem has been told about by the SA, he says gearbox side mount is not ok and is giving some chuk chuk noise on cold starts and jerks. It too has been backordered and the again would take upto 20 days to arrive. Anyways.

Also while getting the delivery of the car, I met a couple of other customers who were facing the same TB problem and were also taking delivery after the reinstall. If VW are aware of the fact, shouldn't they be stocking the TB at dealer for immediate response to the customer.

SA says we can not order/replace the TB until the MIL light comes upon even if you are facing engine harshness.

One thing worth mentioning that I was given an invoice for 23 thousand something and interesting part was it was billed to VW Group Sales Ind P Ltd and my details were mentioned below the complete customer address (which ofcourse was some VW Andheri address) just like remarks. Likely that dealer is paying for the part intially and VW is reimbursing them, I may be totally wrong though.
Old 14th May 2014, 00:24   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Rejoy, it would be really helpful if you can post a snap/scan of the bill on this thread - VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts
Folks, got my Polo GT TDi serviced at 14627 Kms and 7 months of ownership.
I have posted my experience in the Official GT TDi review thread. But as Gannu pointed out, I am sharing the detailed invoice here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3432873

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-new-doc-9.jpg
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:21   #506
BHPian

Hello All,

I own a Polo Trendline, I was wondering if anyone here has installed an aftermarket foglamp on their polo. I found one on ebay india, which looks neat and near to original.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/DLAA-Volkswag...item5d476d089f

Please let me know if anyone has installed these and what is your review on it.
Old 26th May 2014, 17:58   #507
BHPian

Hello Again,

I sent my polo 1.2 petrol trendline to 3M for interior and exterior cleaning, they did a good job at it, but someone there washed the engine bay with water spray and when I started the car had no power or I should say the car was slugish and hesitated to move, next I saw the engine light on.

A local mechanic was called by the 3M folks and he opened and cleaned few areas with the air pressure gun, soon after that the car got back its power, however the engine light still remains.

3M guys told me they know a skoda guy who can get the error deleted and get the ECU set again, should I get it done by them or go to a VW dealership and spend a whole day there ?

Gurus - Do you think the error is due to what the 3M guys think or its something else. Please advice.

PS: The car is running fine, but the engine light being "ON" is troubling me.
Old 26th May 2014, 22:25   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaian View Post
3M guys told me they know a skoda guy who can get the error deleted and get the ECU set again, should I get it done by them or go to a VW dealership and spend a whole day there ?
For peace of mind, visit VW workshop. Ask for an appointment before heading to there so that you don't have to waste whole day.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 00:15   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaian View Post
PS: The car is running fine, but the engine light being "ON" is troubling me.
No harm in getting it reset. Get the error code, note it down somewhere and get it reset. Its most probably due to water in electrical contacts resulting in false sensor reading reaching ECM and error code was set. If you do not see check engine light after reset then you are good to go.
Old 27th May 2014, 09:52   #510
BHPian

AC Fan Speed above 22 degrees Celsius

The AC fan speed on my Polo 1.2 (P) Highline keeps going all over the place when it is in manual mode. If I keep it at 2 bars, it reduces to 1 bar after some time. If it is at 3 bars and I accelerate, it goes to 4, sometimes 5, bars! It is extremely irritating and distracting to adjust the fan speed while driving.

When I reported the above problem to the VW Andheri workshop, I was told by the technician that at all temperatures above 22 degrees Celsius, the Climatronics system takes over the fan speed control even if the AC is in manual mode. I am not convinced at all by this explanation. If the fan speed were getting faster all the time, I would have accepted it. But in my case, it REDUCES to 1 bar 9 times out of 10. I intend to take this up again during my annual service which is due next week...

Have any Polo owners faced a similar problem? Please share your experience.

PS: I keep the temperature setting at 24 degrees Celsius.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks