Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 19:05   #676
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
not sure about DHC wipers. why dont you try bosch clear advantage or Hella dyna edge. they are much more renowned brands and customers who are happy with their performance.
I had tried both Bosch (ordinary and aerotwin)and Hella (Dynaedge) in my i20 but i was not at all satisfied with the performance. I have been using the DHC brand for the past one year and it is comparitively better than the others. For my polo i actually was searching for the hella dyna edge but there were no stocks available. During this period only i happened to see these kind of wiper blades from an accessory shop in kochi that is an hybrid between conventional and flat wipers.
Old 18th December 2014, 19:20   #677
Senior - BHPian

I have Hella Dynaedge in my Polo. I would say though it is much better than the stock ones, it is not completely streak free. This has been a major problem in Polos. The streaking disappears only if you put the a/c in heating mode and direct the blower on to windscreen.

Also If you have more than 4 people in car and it starts raining it is really a nightmare to get the right a/c mode with out fogging up.
Old 18th December 2014, 21:54   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I have Hella Dynaedge in my Polo. I would say though it is much better than the stock ones, it is not completely streak free. This has been a major problem in Polos. The streaking disappears only if you put the a/c in heating mode and direct the blower on to windscreen.

Also If you have more than 4 people in car and it starts raining it is really a nightmare to get the right a/c mode with out fogging up.
Thanks for the info. Now i am comfortable with this wipers. I will try out hella dynaedge next time. I was not knowing about this issue.
Old 18th December 2014, 22:51   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Thanks for the info. Now i am comfortable with this wipers. I will try out hella dynaedge next time. I was not knowing about this issue.
I am not sure whether you face streaking or squeaking. Dynaedge ones are totally silent. No squeaking or squealing, but leave behind streaks for 2-3 seconds.
Old 19th December 2014, 07:15   #680
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether you face streaking or squeaking. Dynaedge ones are totally silent. No squeaking or squealing, but leave behind streaks for 2-3 seconds.
I had both streaking and squeaking with OEM wipers. But with the new wipers only squeaking is there and it's really annoying.
Old 19th December 2014, 07:41   #681
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post

I had both streaking and squeaking with OEM wipers. But with the new wipers only squeaking is there and it's really annoying.
You'll need to clean the glass surface properly with a soap solution and then clean dry with newspapersour micro-fibre cloth so that there is nothing to hamper the smooth movement of the blades.

If this doesn't work, do look at the blades once as to how is the contact area of the blades versus the glass surface (+angle). If there are no gaps between the blades and the glass things should be good.

Anurag.
Old 19th December 2014, 07:52   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You'll need to clean the glass surface properly with a soap solution and then clean dry with newspapersour micro-fibre cloth so that there is nothing to hamper the smooth movement of the blades.

If this doesn't work, do look at the blades once as to how is the contact area of the blades versus the glass surface (+angle). If there are no gaps between the blades and the glass things should be good.

Anurag.
I have cleaned the glass with almost every solution available in market. But still not satisfied 100%.
Streaking can happen if the wiper arm is not able to provide enough downward pressure while wiping.

Last edited by poloman : 19th December 2014 at 07:56.
Old 19th December 2014, 08:01   #683
BANNED

Quote:
Streaking can happen if the wiper arm is not able to provide enough downward pressure while wiping.
Try bending the arm slightly inwards so that some extra pressure is added to the blades which will press it better against the windshield.

Not much pressure, else it'll go the other way!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 12:28   #684
BHPian

Hello everyone, I sent my Polo TDI Trendline for its 3rd annual servicing last month, the car had done about 35k kms back then.

The service advisor told me that the brake pads need replacement and the brake disk needs skimming, now my pads were last replaced at around 22-23k kms, surprised at the brake pads giving away so soon, I did allow him to go ahead with whatever was needed (was busy preparing for exams!).

Now all's well since the car has come back from servicing, the skimming wasn't too expensive, but there is however a constant noise from the front wheels, noise is only there when the car is in motion, its like something rubbing against the brake disks. I am not sure what it is, but my guess would be that the disks were skimmed unevenly, resulting in the brake pads making continuous contact with the brake disks.

The car has been driven around 2.5k kms and the noise has been consistent. what might be the issue?!?! Pointers please, gurus!

Last edited by 599gto : 19th December 2014 at 12:31.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:35   #685
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post

Now all's well since the car has come back from servicing, the skimming wasn't too expensive, but there is however a constant noise from the front wheels, noise is only there when the car is in motion, its like something rubbing against the brake disks. I am not sure what it is, but my guess would be that the disks were skimmed unevenly and resulting in the brake pads making continuous contact with the brake disks.

The car has been driven around 2.5k kms and the noise has been consistent. what might be the issue?!?! Pointers please, gurus!
Is the sound increasing as speed increases?

If the sound is heard in motion and varies with speed then I suspect it to be 'Wheel bearings'. Do get if checked.

Anurag.
Old 19th December 2014, 18:06   #686
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure what it is, but my guess would be that the disks were skimmed unevenly, resulting in the brake pads making continuous contact with the brake disks.
If the disks are skimmed unevenly, then you will feel the brake pedal pulsing.
Old 24th December 2014, 17:11   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is the sound increasing as speed increases?

If the sound is heard in motion and varies with speed then I suspect it to be 'Wheel bearings'. Do get if checked.

Anurag.
Yes it does vary with speed, i too suspect it to be the wheel bearings, but do wheel bearings give up so early, any idea how expensive will they be to replace?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
If the disks are skimmed unevenly, then you will feel the brake pedal pulsing.
No there is no pulse in the break pedal, i think the skimming has been done properly, the real culprit being a wheel bearing!
Old 24th December 2014, 17:26   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does vary with speed, i too suspect it to be the wheel bearings, but do wheel bearings give up so early, any idea how expensive will they be to replace?!?
Normally wheel bearings have reasonably long life but physical stress, bad roads, sudden impacts can damage them. One of rear wheel's bearing on my car gave up at about 20K kms. When opened, there was a minor crack in the inner race of the bearing. The change & installation together cost me about 1300 bucks at MASS about an year ago for both rear wheels, but I am sure that cost is not indicative of replacement on a Polo.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th December 2014 at 17:27.
Old 24th December 2014, 17:33   #689
BANNED

Quote:
It can't be said that there is a fixed life of these bearings, depend on the overall usage, the way the car is handled.

Expect the bearing to be between 900 to 1100.

Anurag.
Old 27th December 2014, 23:22   #690
Senior - BHPian

Suspension overhaul for Vento

My Vento has done 33k kms and off late, i have been noticing a lot of pitching/bobbing movement over undulations with a loud thud sound from the rear. I even fixed coil spring assisters at rear and it has helped but the car still pitches a lot for comfort, sort of just flies over undulations like a Verna

I pushed the rear bumper hard and the whole rear just went up and down easily like a ping pong, another Vento was parked nearby and it required hell lot of effort to push down and the movement range was very less compared to mine. Similar story with my friend's Rapid where the rear has become very soft, his car has done 35k kms. The front struts dont bounce that easily.

We both drive very hard, do hard cornering but take due care over potholes, showed it to a mechanic and he said that all 4 struts are shot, he even showed me the link rod which had a definite play (same type of play in Rapid as well).

Planning to get the rear struts changed + the front link rods, is there anything else that i should get checked because am fed up of the ping pong type ride quality as no other car in my garage behaves so badly (Fiesta done 5k kms, Ecosport done 15k kms and Linea 60k kms). Thanks to stingy VW, these crooks have only given a shameful 10k kms warranty of suspension whereas all other brands give 35-40k kms warranty.

Hope am correct in diagnosing that bouncy ride is due to worn struts.

Most Viewed