Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2014, 23:56   #691
BANNED

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Planning to get the rear struts changed + the front link rods, is there anything else that i should get checked because am fed up of the ping pong type ride quality

Hope am correct in diagnosing that bouncy ride is due to worn struts.
33K and suspension overhaul!

You must be hard on throttle always (read cornering).

Your diagnosis is fine but why not change front suspension too or at least give it look to see how long they would survive? Since you are on the job of getting the overall done, do it completely for a peace of mind and sharper ride.

Anurag.
Old 28th December 2014, 02:32   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
33K and suspension overhaul! You must be hard on throttle always (read cornering).
Even am surprised at that, the car has not seen any track days or so. I do drive hard and my job allows me to travel 140 kms late night twice a week, speeds are high, suspensionndoes take high speed hits and i corner hard but did not expect the suspension to give up so early, am no schumacher. The roads to our village are broken but i drive slow over potholes.

The way rear end bounces, they are shot for sure and will get them replaced, will check some aftermark struts like TRW to find if they are stiffer as Vento is softly sprung.

Quote:
Your diagnosis is fine but why not change front suspension too or at least give it look to see how long they would survive? Since you are on the job of getting the overall done, do it completely for a peace of mind and sharper ride.

Anurag.
Will definitely give the front suspension a look. Is it possible that rear struts failed before front ones, car is driven alone 90%. Will get them opened too and check rebound rate, dont have funds for a complete overhaul right now so will do it in phases.

Disappointed as our Linea has seen much worse roads and still on stock suspension at 60k.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:58   #693
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

It has been almost one year since I got my Polo (1.2P HL) serviced.

Car Purchased
29-May-2011

1st Service
04-Jan-2012
15,000 Kms.

2nd Service
19-Jan-2013
29,500 Kms.

3rd Service
24-Jan-2014
37,000 Kms.

Current Reading as on 09-Jan-2015
42,650 Kms.

Car is covered under 2+2 years warranty and RSA till 28-May-2015.

As you can see, running is very less in last one year. It is going to be even lesser now. The car is used by my wife just for school drop/pick up our kid on school working days (12 kms a day) means 2500-3000 kms in next one year.

Now I need suggestions about:

1. When should I get the 4th service done to keep the car fit and to make my warranty (& RSA) intact (for next 5 months)?

2. What all should be done in the 4th service? (I have almost no complaints to be attended.) Brake pads, brakes shoes, spark plugs were replaced at 29.5k (2nd service) under VW prepaid AMC (AMC was bought for 3 years/45,000 kms).

3. What engine oil considering low running (Am I forced to buy synthetic engine oil from VW) ?

4. Any other suggestions?
Old 13th January 2015, 01:41   #694
Senior - BHPian

Completed the 15K service for my Polo GT Tdi. Total cost came upto 8600/-. I deferred the fuel filter replacement and the cabin filter to the 30K service. Yes, the warrant considerations were spelt out. Detailed post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3620449

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 13th January 2015, 01:43   #695
DWC
BHPian

So after around 8500 kms of running my Polo 1.5 TDI has finally developed a rattle. All I know is that it comes from the front of the car and can be heard every time the car goes over a bump or ditch on the road. The best way to describe it is squeak-squeak. I don't know if im making any sense here. I just got her back after the 7500 km general check up and this came up 2 days later.

Since its hardly audible over the sound of the stereo, im contemplating living with the noise till the 1st service? Is that advisable? Do I need to go to an authorised service center, or is this an easy fix?
Old 13th January 2015, 09:16   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
So after around 8500 kms of running my Polo 1.5 TDI has finally developed a rattle. All I know is that it comes from the front of the car and can be heard every time the car goes over a bump or ditch on the road. The best way to describe it is squeak-squeak. I don't know if im making any sense here. I just got her back after the 7500 km general check up and this came up 2 days later.

Since its hardly audible over the sound of the stereo, im contemplating living with the noise till the 1st service? Is that advisable? Do I need to go to an authorised service center, or is this an easy fix?
DWC, you need to check this thread asap!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-rattles.html
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 21:31   #697
BANNED

hey guys,

my polo is about 6 months old. I have been experiencing the following since last month or 2....

1. The steering when turned to right feels stiffer/harder than when turned to the left. As in if I'm getting 10/10 power assist while turning left I get only about 8/10 power assist while turning right. while turning right I feel more resistance.

I've tried tyre pressure 30 all around and 32 all around.

Any ideas what might be causing this and is it something that falls under warranty to be claimed ?

Thanks.
Old 16th January 2015, 02:38   #698
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for Year Three Service coming up for my 1.6 Polo Highline.

This time, I mean to avoid all the the 3M car-care stuff that they have become agents for (fine ...if you actually want it) and just stick to routine mechanics and faults. plus one thing. I have collected enough scratches and dents in the past year or so to want the car looking good again. Whilst I know that this work is cheaper outside, I also know, from a small, free touch-up last year, that the VW paint is genuine and an exact match. If the price is not too high, I'll get that done.

I'll try to remember to take some before/after pics.

Under faults comes replacing the dashboard air vents. Looks like they won't do this under extended warranty. A source of extra revenue for VW! Ridiculous that such parts do not last the life of the car with only normal use.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:56   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
1. The steering when turned to right feels stiffer/harder than when turned to the left. As in if I'm getting 10/10 power assist while turning left I get only about 8/10 power assist while turning right. while turning right I feel more resistance.

I've tried tyre pressure 30 all around and 32 all around.

Any ideas what might be causing this and is it something that falls under warranty to be claimed ?

Thanks.
Do you feel the stiffness while driving or when stationary ? If it is while driving, can you recheck on a level surface. I did have a similar experience, but it was more that the car was slightly drifting to the left and the explanation was that the roads tend to have slight slope to the left for effective drainage. So when you turn right, you are actually driving uphill even though it is extremely negligible.
Old 16th January 2015, 15:03   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Check the plastic cladding under the engine and the plastic wheel housing. They are notorious for breakage due to our 'good' road conditions and develop squeaks.
Old 17th January 2015, 21:05   #701
BHPian

Hello guys,

It's time for my car's (1.2p) second annual service. Odo reading is a tad over 17k and running last year has been only 4-5k kms.

I plan to avoid all balancing, alignment, washing and rotation at the A$$ and I'm planning to get it down outside. I'm still in two minds ( more so after shibu's post) about pollen and air filter replacement as they both were done at around 12k kms.

I live in cochin and work in kottayam. I went through the whole thread and couldn't find any feedback about EVM cochin and kottayam. My first service was done at phoenix malapuram. Can anyone tell me which would be the better option amongst Cochin and Kottayam?

Thanks
Sunny
Old 19th January 2015, 17:33   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodoc View Post
Hello guys,

It's time for my car's (1.2p) second annual service. Odo reading is a tad over 17k and running last year has been only 4-5k kms.

I plan to avoid all balancing, alignment, washing and rotation at the A$$ and I'm planning to get it down outside. I'm still in two minds ( more so after shibu's post) about pollen and air filter replacement as they both were done at around 12k kms.

I live in cochin and work in kottayam. I went through the whole thread and couldn't find any feedback about EVM cochin and kottayam. My first service was done at phoenix malapuram. Can anyone tell me which would be the better option amongst Cochin and Kottayam?

Thanks
Sunny
For wheel alignment/balancing, i would prefer ASC. Rotation can be done along with. Washing is OK if you get it done outside but if ASC is doing it for free then why spend more? Unless you are a detailing freak and worry that they may ruin your finish.
For pollen & air filter, its OK if you don't replace but make sure they are cleaned. In fact you can do it yourself if you have a blower.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:27   #703
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Do you feel the stiffness while driving or when stationary ? If it is while driving, can you recheck on a level surface. I did have a similar experience, but it was more that the car was slightly drifting to the left and the explanation was that the roads tend to have slight slope to the left for effective drainage. So when you turn right, you are actually driving uphill even though it is extremely negligible.
thanks for the your observations. do you still feel the same way about the steering being harder to turn towards right.

i feel it's almost same stiffness towards both side while parked and during slow moving speeds. i feel it gets stiffer to turn right as speeds increase. yesterday i went for a wheel alignment. post that i feel the stiffness while turning right has reduced quite a bit. i'm pretty confused with this...

what's your current thoughts on this ?
Old 19th January 2015, 18:48   #704
Team-BHP Support

Rana, not sure if this is a placebo. You should probably let another Polo/TSI owner drive yours and get an opinion?
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:06   #705
BHPian

After driving 10k kms in 4 months, I get my first dent.
A two wheeler who couldn't stop on time managed to hit the under part of the rear bumper.

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-dent.jpg

There are only minor scratches and a small dent. Any pointers in Bangalore to remove it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks