Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 20:50   #1786
BANNED

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA19Rao View Post
Stubborn CEL solution no.2 was a no bueno.
Hmm, I can understand. My petrol one is rather 'sanskari', the diesel one, being 'hot and exciting', is a bit more stubborn and high maintenance. Yours is red hot, hence I believe that the tantrums are higher. The more exciting she gets, the higher effort it demands from you!

Follow 1 and 2 together. Or wait for A.S.S. to open.

Quote:
(Surprising if this is the solution as the car is basically still a toddler.)
Toddler may have got adulterated milk. That too happened to me once, and that time the light also lasted longest.

Quote:
such personal relationships in life just to finally end up in one with my car
With the kind of space and driving experience they offer, they are designed for single guys only any way!

Actually, before you buy a VW car in India, it is mandatory to watch this video once. Probably you missed that part, hence so much issues. Check if this works; and you will be able to relate quite well with your initial ownership experience too.

Last edited by VKumar : 27th April 2021 at 20:52.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:23   #1787
BHPian

I received a call from the service center as my car service was due, and I was told about two packages

Service package for 1 year
  • Rs. 12000 for regular service
  • 50 percent discount in wheel alignment and wheel balancing
  • Free water wash
  • 25 percent reduction with 3M treatment
  • Rs 1000 discount on insurance renewal

Service package for 2 years
  • 23000 for regular service
  • Free wheel alignment and balancing
  • Free water wash
  • 25 percent reduction with 3M treatment
  • Rs 1000 discount on insurance renewal(multiply by 2)
  • Free pick up and drop

How much does servicing a polo TDI cost in the second and third year?
Will accepting two year package makes sense?
or Is it a bait that i should ignore?

P.S: I have not taken an insurance policy with Volkswagen.So, I will not benefit from the insurance renewal offer.
Old 8th June 2021, 15:04   #1788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque250 View Post
I received a call from the service center as my car service was due, and I was told about two packages

[
These packages are dealer specific and not from volkswagen, for eg volkswagen/Skoda was having a service package recently which they were offering with the purchase of the car, the cost was 30k for 4 services including everything, all consumables and service charges. So around 7500 for one service.

Normal service charges are around 7-8k, the service centers try to add unnecessary stuff at the time of service to increase the bill like ac disinfectant(1000), interior dry cleaning(2500-3000) and wheel balancing and alignment which is twice the rate of tyre shops.

So my advice is to skip this package, just get regular servicing done after a year, make sure they don't add unnecessary stuff, read the service manual and match with the job sheet at the time of servicing. Interior cleaning, wheel balancing and other stuff can be done from outside from the experts of the respective work.

Insurance is always expensive at the dealer, check policybazaar every year and even then bargain with customer representatives to get a discount.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 18:17   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think these packages make sense. I also see the discounts offered on such things as 3M treatments to be more an effort to sell them (and an indication of the margins) as giving discounts.
Old 8th June 2021, 19:04   #1790
BANNED

If the car is low run, the package doesn't make any sense at all, but if the car has run quite a bit, then getting the package makes a lot of sense, especially if the car is a TDi.

Example from my own ownership experience:

Odo Reading: 1.14 lac kms, Polo TDi

Works to be done included:
  • Clutch replacement
  • Brake pads and discs replacement
  • V belt and tensioner replacement
  • Entire front suspension replacement

If I hadn't done it without an AMC, the estimated costs would have come around:
  • Clutch: 16000
  • V Belt and Tensioner: 9500
  • Front Suspension: 9000
  • Brake pads and discs: Around 8500 I guess
  • Front and rear wiper blades: Around 1400
  • Coolant drain with new bottle: Around 4000 I guess
All this was coupled to a big fat insurance claim too (In which they happily got me a new battery too )

So we sat across the table, made the entire math properly taking all discounts etc into consideration. And I bought the MC worth 23000, total I paid 51,800 bucks. And as a goodwill, my service center gave me RSA too.

What benefits I derived?
  • One full service along with all the above replacements
  • One Inspection
  • Next service also free under AMC
  • Alignment, balancing, dry cleaning (Of both my cars ), and even complete 3M treatment was also given for free for one car; instead of 25% discount

Overall, taking all my previous bills into account, I paid them 52,800 bucks, but the benefits I derived were well over 65,000, and hence I say - if it's a TDI and some big replacement is due. Just couple them all, bargain a bit, and take the 23000 (+GST) AMC, it works in that case, else it's a bad option.

No wonder, I am always, all praises for my service center; they are so good at their job and customer retention, that you won't ever think of going to some FNG.

Last edited by VKumar : 8th June 2021 at 19:15.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 01:31   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

The fuel-cap cover lock jammed today. Got it open, really needed to fill fuel but... What should I do to stop it happening again? (Polo GT TDI 2014)

I have a glimmer of a suspicion that I might have heard of this happening to others, so maybe there is wisdom here?
Old 30th June 2021, 01:46   #1792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The fuel-cap cover lock jammed today. Got it open, really needed to fill fuel but... What should I do to stop it happening again? (Polo GT TDI 2014)

I have a glimmer of a suspicion that I might have heard of this happening to others, so maybe there is wisdom here?
Yes it's a known issue. The best thing you can do is to keep an eye on it and see if it re-occurs. If it keeps jamming, then you will need to change the fuel lid lock actuator assembly.

Damage to your pocket will be in the 4Kish region I think. This has happened to me once on my Jetta as well, but it remedied itself and never came back. The actuator sometimes becomes a bit temperamental in the monsoons due to the moisture.

Just observe for now. If it keeps repeating the same thing though, change it. You don't want to get stuck with a jammed fuel lid with your tank empty.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 07:25   #1793
BHPian

Greetings..
I was looking to buy wiper blade set, oil and air filter for my Polo.
When I was going through Boodmo, came across this pricing which is puzzling.
I'm attaching the screenshot for expert's advice regarding order placement for air filter.
There are 2 items, I'm talking about the 1st one in the list/cart.
Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-screenshot_20210630072104.jpg  

Last edited by matchvan : 30th June 2021 at 07:26.
Old 30th June 2021, 11:10   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings..
I'm attaching the screenshot for expert's advice regarding order placement for air filter.
There are 2 items, I'm talking about the 1st one in the list/cart.
Thank You.
The Cabin air filter or dust/pollen filter should be the same. Maybe some error on part of Boodmo. I had ordered a cabin filter for my Polo of Purolater make. Works perfect
You can also try Purolater for the air filter - should be good.

Quote:
I also have this issue- have to keep locking and unlocking from the driver side button to make it work. Spraying some WD40 on the pin that revolves keeps it working for some months.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th June 2021 at 12:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 13:01   #1795
BHPian

Quote:

Happened with my 2014 1.5 TDi as well, I was not able to open it after trying everything I could, but luckily I refuel at 1/4 tank so was able to comfortable take car to the service centre next day. Happened during the 4th year and it was replaced under warranty. Thats the only part that failed for me during almost 7 years of ownership now.

You should get it checked and get it replaced as well because failing of such a part on a trip can be very troublesome.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 14:05   #1796
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I had a similar issue in my Jetta during 2018. The newly replaced one also had a similar issue, so I went back to the original one and applied WD-40. Now almost after 3 years, still it is working fine. Just keep applying wd-40 once in 4-6 months near the latch, to remove any dust entering.
Old 30th June 2021, 15:38   #1797
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Thanks to responses to my filler-cap lock issue. I'll start off by applying some lubricant. Perhaps silicon lubricant, as I think the parts are plastic. I haven't had a good look yet.

The tank was down to one mark on the gauge, and outings yesterday and today were necessary. I do low mileage anyway, and, due to lockdown, the tank had not been filled for... I can't even remember!

My cats have chewed and sat on the antenna, and now it has broken at the base. I've put a bolt in the hole, with a touch of silicon grease, to prevent water getting in next time we are out in the rain. It's not practical hassle, as we don't use the radio anyway, but it is part of the car's looks and also the locating point for the cover when putting it on.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 17:23   #1798
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If it keeps jamming, then you will need to change the fuel lid lock actuator assembly.
My problem is polar opposite - mine never locks!

I understand that there is some black thing that rotates when we press it, and it locks with a click, but whether my diesel car is locked or unlocked, if you press the fuel cap - it pop opens. The only thing that's good about it is that only I know about the issue, hence it's as safe as a locked unit.

So, do I also need to spend 4k-ish to get it right?

Quote:
the locating point for the cover when putting it on.
Well said, the actual job of the antenna is just to act as an anchor point while you cover the car. Just put the antenna part in place and start pulling the cover towards the front edges!

Last edited by VKumar : 30th June 2021 at 17:27.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 17:33   #1799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
So, do I also need to spend 4k-ish to get it right?
Rs 2.5k from Boodmo for the OEM replacement lock.

Unfortunately the lock has clips which have to be broken to get access to the innards. Maybe drill a small hole on the plastic casing, spray some lubricant for the gearing mechanism and close the hole.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th June 2021 at 17:34.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 20:37   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Actually, before you buy a VW car in India, it is mandatory to watch this video once. Probably you missed that part, hence so much issues. Check if this works; and you will be able to relate quite well with your initial ownership experience too.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=fQV0ZWkHqnw

Hi VKumar, who do I communicate with to get permission to watch this private video?

My niece will be test driving the Polo this weekend.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks