Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 15:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Well, the idea here is same as the brilliant civic maintenance thread, started by Bhpian Laluks couple of years ago. The thread with over 120 pages has now become bible for civic owners.

So, now that its well over 1 year of Polo's launch, here is my effort to start a similar thread where all Polo owners can discuss maintenance and service details/issues.

PS: Please mention in the title of your post, whether your polo is 1.2 petrol or 1.6 or a 1.2 TDi.

There have been several issues noticed in polo from whitening plastics on the outside, to driver side power window playing, to rear drum brakes jamming, to EGR valve failures in TDI, to turbo failure in TDI and the heaviest of all that was bombed on me, the engine head change in 1.2 Petrol.

Apart from service/maintenance details, these stuff can be discussed here so that no one misses it.

In february this year, I got my polos 1st service done at just under 15k kms on the clock. It costed about Rs.6800/-, excluding interior dry cleaning of Rs.1100/-, which I opted for. Of course, I didnt opt for wheel balancing as there was no need for the same, no bubbling witnessed, so why pay Rs.500/- plus weights with out a reason.

The service details follows below..

Parts
Oil Filter:- 108
Air Filter:-295
Fuel Filter :- 413
AC Filter:- 667
Distil Water:- 20
Wind Screen Cleaner:- 202
Seal Ring:- 13
Drain Plug:- 55
Engine Oil 5W 40:- 2897

All the above parts excluding Engine oil includes 12.5% VAT, and Oil prices includes 20% VAT.

Labour
Interior Cleaning:- 1103
Paid Service:- 1269
Synthetic Lubrication:- 331
Wheel Alignment:- 540
All the above labour charges include Edu cess @3% and Service Charge @ 10%.

Total Bill:- 7,912/-

In fact, I was just smiling when the advisor told me the segregation while billing, wind screen washer at 200, distil water at 20, wheel alignment at 540 and synthetic lubrication at 330. Synthetic Lubrication is some kinda lubrication that according to service station is applied to suspension parts. Also, did 5 Wheel rotation, no extra charges for the same.

Apart from that, the driver side power window started playing at some 6k kms, if I remember right. link for the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1971923

And finally the bomb.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2184729

I know the issues witnessed here are sufficient to start bashing VW, but if you really want to do so, here is a more approporaite thread for the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...liability.html

Please leave this thread for technicalities/solutions and normal polo discussions.

Lastly, VW is now offering 2 years expended warranty for Rs.7200/-, which takes the warranty of the car to 4 years/1 lac kms. So there is less to worry about.

Rest, its all your thead VW owners/lovers/critics... let the replies roll in..

Here's the manual as well as the service booklet in PDF. Thanks to McLaren Rulez for sharing!

Polo_Manual_1.pdf

Polo_Manual_2.pdf

Polo_Manual_3.pdf

Polo_Manual_4.pdf

Polo_Manual_5.pdf

Polo_Service.pdf

The updated maintenance/service schedule is given below:

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-maintenance.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th June 2020 at 15:26. Reason: Adding updated maintenance/service schedule. :)
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 18:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I have been waiting for such a thread for a long time i.e. one that brings out the true picture of VW service which IMHO will decide whether VW remains just a premium brand for the select few or it actually wants to reach out the thousands of Maruti and Hyundai owners out there. The costs involved look pretty reasonable for a 1 year service interval but I am sure there are many like me still waiting and watching for further service costs.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 23:05   #3
BHPian

Polo 1.2L Petrol TL

A very good thread.

Ok let me share some information as per my knowledge and 10months of ownership.

Been to the dealer multiple times, but no money spent from my pocket till date-

stone stuck - they removed the front rhs tire and removed the stone

LHS pulling - they did something (car owners are not allowed in the service area) and was asked to bring the car after 1.5k kms more, took it again to the dealer, something was done. Happy with end result, hardly any pull now

front rhs power window - checked at dealership, they accepted that this is common to Polo, issue could not be replicated. It happens intermittently, sometimes once a week and at times never in a month. Hope s/w update 4818 will resolve it.

Apart from that, car is running fine, no rattling, nothing to make me think, so far so good with FE of 13.5 km/ltr average, in city conditions with 60% a/c. With 40% highway and 60% city, 16km/ltr.

Now some spare parts info -

Below mentioned details are approximate prices and for some of the items the price may increase if labor cost is added. Some I have bought and some came to know from interaction at dealership/tbhp.

front bumper - 2.4K + 2.5k (paint)
rear bumper - 5K + 5K (paint)
bonnet - 5.5K
windscreen (front) - 3.5K
front logo - 1.7k
rear logo - 8k
wiper blades - 500/-
wheel cover - 1600/- per piece (Gaurav knows better )
rear parcel tray - 1.1k
fog lamp (front)- 18K
rear parking sensor - 4k (with body colour)
engine oil - castrol 5w 40, 1K / ltr, change interval 15000km/1yr, however there are reported cases of topping up much before that
rear power window-12k

Last edited by AvonA7 : 27th May 2011 at 23:23. Reason: addition
AvonA7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 14:50   #4
BHPian

Extended Warranty for Polo 1.6

Gaurav, Thanks for starting this thread! I will bookmark it.

By the way, it would have been nice if you sent the link in the PM as it takes some effort to locate the thread otherwise.

To all 1.6 owners, I just received word from a dealer that Extended Warranty for the Polo 1.6 is Rs. 7,199.

Due to an odd coincidence, I inadvertently received the communication from VW to the dealer. The most interesting part is this:

Quote:
If your Polo or Vento was delivered before 31st March 2011, you need to take extended warranty no later than 31st August 2011. For all others there is some convoluted wording, but I think they mean it should be taken within 1 year from delivery.
Extended warranty is for up to 100K kms and for 3rd & 4th year. 1st and 2nd year are covered as standard.

So all those of you waiting until the end of the 2nd year to get extended warranty, please note that you have 1 year from the date of delivery of your car at most.

All those who bought between September and March, please check with your dealer as to when the last date is.

A few other things:

1. Extended warranty automatically transfers to the new owner if you sell the car.
2. Extended warranty can be taken at any VW dealer, not just the place you bought your car from.

Also the other interesting thing is that VW is very finicky on the car being serviced anywhere outside of VW dealerships.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 28th May 2011 at 14:58.
nowwhat? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 15:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty, 1.2 Petrol

@Sparkled, Avon and Nowwhat, thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
By the way, it would have been nice if you sent the link in the PM as it takes some effort to locate the thread otherwise.
Sorry mate, I just sent a quick PM to about 10-12 Polo owners who have their ownership review here on Team Bhp. Should have posted a link, but I thought writing "Long term ownership section" should help .

Quote:
To all 1.6 owners, I just received word from a dealer that Extended Warranty for the Polo 1.6 is Rs. 7,199.
Nice that the price for extended warranty is same for 1.2 and 1.6 .

Quote:
So all those of you waiting until the end of the 2nd year to get extended warranty, please note that you have 1 year from the date of delivery of your car at most.
Strange, I bought the car on 16 April 2010, My dad got a message and I got a call stating that we can take extended warranty anytime before 21 August 2011.

I think since the extended warranty has come in May itself, they will give some time to all cars sold till august 2010, because those who bought before may would have got their 1 year service done and the ASC would be telling them about extended warranty over phone.

Quote:
Also the other interesting thing is that VW is very finicky on the car being serviced anywhere outside of VW dealerships.
Thats same for any OEM, if the car is serviced outside, the warranty goes for a complete toss.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th May 2011 at 15:10.
Old 28th May 2011, 15:28   #6
BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty, 1.2 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Strange, I bought the car on 16 April 2010, My dad got a message and I got a call stating that we can take extended warranty anytime before 21 August 2011.

I think since the extended warranty has come in May itself, they will give some time to all cars sold till august 2010, because those who bought before may would have got their 1 year service done and the ASC would be telling them about extended warranty over phone.
I have enclosed the relevant paragraph from the document. Perhaps someone can shed some light.

Cars sold until 31st March 2011, they are giving us time till 31st August 2011.

BTW, Glad to know that 1.2 & 1.6 Petrol extended warranty costs the same.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-vw.jpg  

Last edited by nowwhat? : 28th May 2011 at 15:30.
nowwhat? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 15:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread for present and future Polo owners!

My car hasn't been for service yet. But it had met with a small accident last year. I have included a scanned copy of all costs incurred(labour and parts).

Linky: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2161111
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 15:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

I dont get something. Was this a 1st free service??? You say this is the 1st service, then you say paid service.

Also aren't wheel rotation and balancing free of cost?? As far as I know only weights used if any are supposed to be charged. These are generally part of standard procedures during scheduled services.

Also is the extended warranty charged at 7200bucks while delivery or at any point of time??

Last edited by julupani : 28th May 2011 at 15:45.
Old 28th May 2011, 17:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I dont get something. Was this a 1st free service??? You say this is the 1st service, then you say paid service.

Also aren't wheel rotation and balancing free of cost?? As far as I know only weights used if any are supposed to be charged. These are generally part of standard procedures during scheduled services.

Also is the extended warranty charged at 7200bucks while delivery or at any point of time??
Hey buddy, there is no free service for the Polo. All are paid services.
Old 28th May 2011, 17:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok, thanks for the info.

I though that VW charges extravagantly for its spare parts. But from the break-up given here spare are not unreasonably priced at all. But the servicing cost just shoot up because of the other costs.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:52   #11
BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty for Polo 1.6

Quote:
The most interesting part is this:

Extended warranty is for up to 100K kms and for 3rd & 4th year. 1st and 2nd year are covered as standard.

All those who bought between September and March, please check with your dealer as to when the last date is.

A few other things:

1. Extended warranty automatically transfers to the new owner if you sell the car.
2. Extended warranty can be taken at any VW dealer, not just the place you bought your car from.

Thanks nowwhat for sharing the information regarding the extended warranty.
It would have been nice of VW to share this information with their customers.

May be the extended warranty is the dealer`s loss in the long run

But when we get ... "things to do while waiting for your VW polo, the paper polo, magnetic dart board etc" the most basic and important information - extended warranty, would have been nice to receive from VW.

Then, who cares! afterall we are part of Team-BHP

Gaurav - did you receive the s/w upgrades in your Polo during the first service or at any later date? Did VW inform you, because you are one of the early Polo owners in Team-BHP who did the 1st service.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cars sold until 31st March 2011
Thanks Man. My Bad, I took it as March 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Gaurav - did you receive the s/w upgrades in your Polo during the first service or at any later date? Did VW inform you, because you are one of the early Polo owners in Team-BHP who did the 1st service.
What kind of upgrades are we talking about, are these for petrol. Forgive me if I missed lot of polo related posts, but the new owners were posting similar stuff again and again and I felt it too monotonous. That was one reason I started this thread .
Old 28th May 2011, 22:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Thanks Man. My Bad, I took it as March 2010.

What kind of upgrades are we talking about, are these for petrol. Forgive me if I missed lot of polo related posts, but the new owners were posting similar stuff again and again and I felt it too monotonous. That was one reason I started this thread .
Oh! seems like you didn't receive the update, its bad of VW not to update the customers again!

I am sure other Polo owners who already completed their 1st service would share the details here in this very useful thread for Polo owners.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 28th May 2011 at 22:28.
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 16:34   #14
BHPian

Regular lubrication of the AC vents

I had posted this in my ownership thread already, but now that we have a new thread for maintenence here is a quick tip that would help all -
The A/C vents in your Polo needs regular lubrication. Please apply a drop of regular machine oil (used in sewing machines) on the pivot points of each of the vertical louvers. See the below link for details of the problem I had faced.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2370872
Old 30th May 2011, 16:47   #15
BHPian

This should be slight OT, but posting it, since it deals with Service. Decided to go for the Polo 1.2 CL
OR Price comes to 5.95L which includes Extended warranty costing Rs. 7199. This is not mandatory.
Also it was mentioned, there is a AMC available only for the 1.2L for 3 years which is Rs. 19, 990 and for 4 Years which is close to 34k. If we avail this AMC, all the services availed in the 3 years would be completely free, no charges what so ever. Charge only for physical damages. This was assured by the very obedient SA.

Should I opt for it? For the new Polo, how much would be the average Service cost for 3 years?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks