Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 22:21   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Using a lil bit of rubbing compound with wet cotton waste will take care of these calcification issue, usually a good detailer job also take care of such issues.
thank you Jaggu. is/are there any products you could recommend?
Old 4th January 2010, 22:25   #1502
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I normally avoid washing the car myself during winter. The cold water plays hell with my sinuses. So I had been getting my car pressure washed once a week through December. Obviously this included vacuuming the carpets and a basic dash cleanup as well.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got the feeling that the car was starting to show the first signs of age. Nothing major, just a lack of overall sheen. 'It has after all been driven 54k km in 24 months', I thought to myself.
So, yesterday I woke up to a glorious bright morning. And what does a true BHPian do on such a morning? Break out the car shampoo, wax, washcloth and related paraphernalia, of course.
3 hours and a lot of huffing and puffing later, the Swift again started to look pretty good again. I gave it a thorough wash and wiped it dry. Most people ignore the dirt settled under the beadings. Cleaning under the beadings took me over half an hour. Then I brushed the upholstery and carpets and sprayed them with upholstery cleaner. 10 mins later I used a stiff brush on them and wiped with a damp sponge mop. The final stage was a thorough clean up of all plastics, inside and outside the car. This does not take too much effort and that was a good thing because my resolve had started to flag.
I have seen cars post 'spa' and 'grooming' treatments and felt that I could achieve 90% of that in my own basement with regular OTC car care products.

To sum it up in a mastercard-ish fashion:
Sonax gloss shampoo - Rs 12 (used 25ml from a 1l bottle mrp Rs300)
3M plast shield - Rs 45 (used about 1/3rd of a 250ml bottle mrp Rs135)
Wurth upholstery cleaner - Rs 250 (used about half a can mrp Rs485)
Sponges, mops & brushes - Rs 200 (can be reused many times)
Torn banian - free
Workout - free
Admiring the car after 3 hours - Priceless!
There are some things money can't buy. Obviously, car care products do not belong to that category.
Kudos- nothing can match the satisfaction of having done your own work.. however the professional treatments are more for upholstery cleaning and machine based scratch removal etc which is worth the price in fact..
I too feel that what one can do own is whats best for regular maintenance...
Old 4th January 2010, 22:48   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Thanks for the post chetan- can you see if you can probably break up your sentences better, its easier to read that way
BTW- i think you had taken the anti glare treatment for your car also? How is the effect on night driving for that?
And you mentioned that they apply Meguiars Sealant 2.0- are you referring to the Tech Wax 2.0 which also acts as a sealant( is primarily a wax)
Did you see any surface scratches gone (for any of the cars you did?) and are they removed for good or they come back post washing the car on your own cause some places they just cover up the scratch and it comes back once the wax/polish comes off..
I am looking at going there today and need to do a scratch removal treatment done for the 100's of surface scratches that i have on my car thanks to improper cloth usage by cleaning boys:(
hi mkh,
thanks for the suggestion ,i will do that.
regarding the antiglare treatment the night drive is improved a lot, not as good as a new glass, but can say 80%.
i have a few deep scratches on the windscreen but they are not removed ,but the glass now is much clearer than before
I dont know whether synthetic sealant 2.0 and tech wax 2.0 is same ,the synthetic sealant is from professional series.
The results on my ikon was very good, many small scratches had vanished, and the shine was very good.
I had people asking me whether this was a new car, the wash and wax at carz spa at RS 350 for large car segment is worth it.
Regarding my personal experience with megs tech wax 2.0 its the best wax i have used till now, after waxing many small scratches go away , but again to mantain it is very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
chetan in wash and wax do they also clean the underbody as well?
HI hyper vtec,
They do not clean the underbody

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2010 at 22:57. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote instead. Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 22:58   #1504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
thank you Jaggu. is/are there any products you could recommend?
Try 3M products, they are mild and reliable OR mild rubbing compound from any reputed manufacturer. Dont forget to apply a coat of wax afterwards
Old 5th January 2010, 00:30   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
.. however the professional treatments are more for upholstery cleaning and machine based scratch removal etc which is worth the price in fact..
I do agree with that. DIY cleaning of carpets and upholstery is very difficult. However, that is not going to stop me from trying again.
Dashboard and plastic cleaning are very easily done at home though. I got very good results with 3M plastshield. Also planning a wax sometime. This time with good old fashioned Waxpol. Lets see how it turns out.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:07   #1506
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
hi mkh,
thanks for the suggestion ,i will do that.
regarding the antiglare treatment the night drive is improved a lot, not as good as a new glass, but can say 80%.
i have a few deep scratches on the windscreen but they are not removed ,but the glass now is much clearer than before
I dont know whether synthetic sealant 2.0 and tech wax 2.0 is same ,the synthetic sealant is from professional series.
The results on my ikon was very good, many small scratches had vanished, and the shine was very good.
I had people asking me whether this was a new car, the wash and wax at carz spa at RS 350 for large car segment is worth it.
Regarding my personal experience with megs tech wax 2.0 its the best wax i have used till now, after waxing many small scratches go away , but again to mantain it is very difficult.

If i understand correctly for Rs 350 they washed the car and then applied Synthetic Sealant using the machine and then buffed it up?
This resulted in clearing surface scratches? What will be important for me is that did those scratches get removed or did it just create a shine and after another wash the scratch becomes visible.
I have several surface scratches caused by stupid cleaning guy using the cloth on dusted surface which i want to get removed so thats why asking u so many questions
I will visit them and maybe ask them to do the bonnet to see if that gets removed but doubt if this 2 step process is enough- maybe the paint correction which is about 2.5K is whats needed...
Old 6th January 2010, 22:00   #1507
BHPian

Got Hold Of Turtle wax today for 240. Will twst it soon. Enjoy some pics

Even the sponge applicator has turtle wax logo.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01306.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01307.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01308.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01309.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01310.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01311.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01313.jpg  

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 6th January 2010 at 22:01.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:06   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Got Hold Of Turtle wax today for 240......
This is really good stuff. I have used it many times and have always been impressed with the results. If you are looking for a good paste wax, this is the best and most economical option.
I do have a tin of waxpol lying at home but have not yet got around to using it. Heard it is quite a workout.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:21   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Is Turtle Wax better than Waxpol?
Old 7th January 2010, 01:34   #1510
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes it is... but which Waxpol product you talking about? As discussed earlier, it may not be better than Waxpol's Super Quality Polish in the sense that it does not last that long. Excluding that one, Turtle beats Waxpol's other products hands down.
Old 7th January 2010, 02:24   #1511
BHPian

I just got the waxpol tin out of the cupboard and yes, it is indeed the super quality polish. Every time I think about polishing the car my nerve fails me as soon as I open the tin. Buffing off Turtle wax is no small matter.The consistency of the waxpol super polish is like candlewax and I'm sure buffing this off will be a terrible ordeal. But one of these days I'm going to have to just bite the bullet.
BTW, 3M liquid wax is quite impressive. 3 months since I put it on and the car still looks great.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:45   #1512
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
This is really good stuff. I have used it many times and have always been impressed with the results. If you are looking for a good paste wax, this is the best and most economical option.
I do have a tin of waxpol lying at home but have not yet got around to using it. Heard it is quite a workout.
Just my experience and nothing against any brand:
Turtle wax was a sort of waste for me.
1. When rubbing it off, there are so many green particles that get into the beading, its a pain to remove those. Esp when they fall over the windshield
2. The wax is semi solid and too watery i felt. That way its v tough not get more than required onto the applicator.
3. I saw that it did not even last 2weeks- the tub says 12 months!!! Maybe it will if you happen to take your car out once a month. Not sure if there was something wrong in how i used it..but i did not wash my car nor did it go out in the rains, and then too i could see that over 2 weeks when i wiped the car the cloth was not going over smoothly which meant wax again. I finished a tub ( on 2 cars) in around 2 months only:(
I have used Meguiars NXT Tech Wax now and its far far superior and more VFM. The cost is about Rs 900 but i am SURE it will last MIN 4 times more than turtle. The wax is thicker and less comes out and the tub is larger. Also need to use it less often. That way Turtle is more expensive i feel
Will give exact update once Megs Wax finishes( which maybe well 6 months MIN for both cars)

Last edited by mkh : 7th January 2010 at 10:53.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:25   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Just my experience and nothing against any brand:
Turtle wax was a sort of waste for me.
=================
Will give exact update once Megs Wax finishes( which maybe well 6 months MIN for both cars)
Where did you buy Tech Wax in India for 900? Or did you source it from US and just converting $ value to rupee. Could you let me know from where, if you bought in India?
Old 7th January 2010, 12:22   #1514
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Where did you buy Tech Wax in India for 900? Or did you source it from US and just converting $ value to rupee. Could you let me know from where, if you bought in India?
Hey i posted multiple times- i got a lot of stuff from the friends who were coming from the US during Xmas. I got the tech wax for about $18.00 and some extra stuff which i gave to fellow TBHP folks. Got only 1-2 items left over..in fact i have posted on the Classifieds also.
Check my prev posts..
In India or any other country in fact its horribly overpriced. I plan to get some more stuff and this time will make use of the FREE shipping option maybe, that way the cost will be only Rs 700
Old 7th January 2010, 14:16   #1515
BHPian

I am still unsure about which product should I go for while polishing my car- Liquid or hard wax? I have gone through all the posts in this thread and left my thought process in mess. Every once in a while there is a contradicting comment. Pals, please suggest if it is a good idea to go for hard wax? Is there any risk involved if I do it myself like damaging the paint or something?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks