Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 12:30   #2671
Senior - BHPian

But they also let other ppl try the rotary or DA on the 'volunteer' car!

that might be a lil' risky! :(

And for swirl removal with UC, I guess we were missing a last step of polishing!

It should be like UC > a finishing Polish(+glaze(optional)) > sealant!

I too observed that UC leaves tiny hairline scratches behind!(which have to be removed by a finishing polish etc.)
Old 19th July 2010, 15:07   #2672
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
But they also let other ppl try the rotary or DA on the 'volunteer' car!

that might be a lil' risky! :(

And for swirl removal with UC, I guess we were missing a last step of polishing!

I too observed that UC leaves tiny hairline scratches behind!(which have to be removed by a finishing polish etc.)
So what is a finishing polish that is recommended? I guess Klasse AIO will be a good option. I thought that finishing polishes are what actually do the job of just hiding the swirls and not actually filling them up. A Polish/Paint cleaner like UC will remove a micro layer and fill the swirls and then the sealant puts a layer of protection above- is that not right? Man this is more confusing than software also- unless you know by practical results!
BTW i just put NXT on the other car and it rained- this time was not annoyed, rather amazed, what a beautiful effect, could capture as much in the camera of my phone- but it was a treat to watch. Looked as if jewel beads and not water beads against the light! They made a very pretty pattern- which could not come out completely, but still!
The first pic shows a hazy view of the pattern seen from the top, a star formation almost, the rest of the pics are close ups( wish had a nice camera or knew how to capture this as well as i wanted!)
This clearly points to something- more the layers of NXT on the car, better its effect. This same effect could not be seen on my new car, the older one has about 6-7 applications of NXT( with hardly any washes in between till now)
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-phones-033.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-phones-040.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-phones-042.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-phones-044.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-phones-046.jpg  

Old 19th July 2010, 16:52   #2673
Senior - BHPian

^Wow! now thats awesome beading! star pattern of drainage looks awesome!

water drainage is easy too! just join a coupe of beads and the water sheets right off!

and yea! I think Klasse AIO 'should' get rid off the swirls

Last edited by sohail99 : 19th July 2010 at 17:01.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:41   #2674
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mkh - Thats a beautiful result ! Btw, the Carz spa that you refer to , is it the Bimal Carz spa next to the Whitefield Honda showroom ? Doesn't look like they were trained by Megs

Guys, regarding the finishing polish, after using UC, how about using Megs Color X ? Will it also do the same job ? (Wash - Clay - UC - Polish (Color X) - Sealant)
Old 19th July 2010, 22:32   #2675
BHPian

A question for Sohail and MKH. Do you plan to get the Porter Cable 7424XP DA Orbital Polisher? Is this thing available in India? How is this deal? I will need a DA orbital polisher to take care of 3 new vehicles soon to be added to my garage and looking at the size of 2 of these, I am perspiring already. I am sure a DA will prove handy here.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:29   #2676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can go with 'Scratch out paste' as its a mild rubbing compound!
It also comes in a liquid form(but it requires too many passes and a lot of time and effort to come any close to results)

(but its good for super minor scratches which are visible from up close!)

anyways, you might need multiple passes with the paste too depending on the extent of the defect!

you need to work in the compound for 40secs to approx. 1 min( if the compound starts to dry, stop immediately!)

Wipe off the residue and analyze the progress! (its great to have a portable halogen lamp as they really show the swirls!)

and its advisable to work in the shade! (surface you're working on will remain cool, compound/polish won't dry prematurely and you wont feel tired! )

if the swirls are reduced but still there, you might need a 2nd pass.
Again work in, wipe and analyze!

If you feel that just a lil' more cutting could get rid of them, use the sonax auto polish.

Apply to the area you're working on > work in for 30-40 secs or upto 1 min(max) > wipe off the polish and analyze

you might need a 2nd pass again if there are just a few hairline scratches left!

(You must be knowing that compounds and polishes are Wipe on, work in, wipe off types!)

Note - you might need to work in the compound and polishes with a lil' passion!

after you're satisfied with the finish, seal as usual with a wax!

Always try these steps on a little part of the panel to compare the corrected part with the swirly part.
Hey Sohail thanks a ton for the help and advice. The F1 Scratch out paste is not available here. I think will have to settle with the liquid one. BTW How is 3M finesse rubbing compound. Can it be used as a substitute to the F1 as i am unable to detect the authenticity of the brand Formula 1. Any hints to point out the odd ones.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:10   #2677
Senior - BHPian

I'm actually afraid of '3M finesse it'!!

Though its a very powerful rubbing compound, it cuts like crazy!(I mean its kinda too powerful)

we can use it, but in super-minimal quantities and definitely dont rub it for the above-mentioned time!

I wouldn't recommend it for swirl removal because, as a rule we start with the least abrasive product! and 3m finesse it might just be the most abrasive one in the Indian market!
(though 3m finesse it might be useful if used properly etc.)
Old 20th July 2010, 10:23   #2678
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Mkh - Thats a beautiful result ! Btw, the Carz spa that you refer to , is it the Bimal Carz spa next to the Whitefield Honda showroom ? Doesn't look like they were trained by Megs

Guys, regarding the finishing polish, after using UC, how about using Megs Color X ? Will it also do the same job ? (Wash - Clay - UC - Polish (Color X) - Sealant)
Yeah i was a little surprised, but thats the place they recommended. Seems like they have nothing else here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
A question for Sohail and MKH. Do you plan to get the Porter Cable 7424XP DA Orbital Polisher? Is this thing available in India? How is this deal? I will need a DA orbital polisher to take care of 3 new vehicles soon to be added to my garage and looking at the size of 2 of these, I am perspiring already. I am sure a DA will prove handy here.
Getting the DA is one part, knowing how to use properly is another. The deal looks good but the cost is almost 3 times that from the US. For about 20K,maybe for 3 cars seems fine enough cause if you go for a surface treatment, it will cost about 10K for 3 cars. Do you know how to use this?
For new cars- maybe you can find a place that can do swirl removal for about 2K or so and then maintain yourself. I am seeing that its possible to maintain once a treatment is done and DA then maybe not needed for 2 years or even more.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:04   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm actually afraid of '3M finesse it'!!

Though its a very powerful rubbing compound, it cuts like crazy!(I mean its kinda too powerful)

we can use it, but in super-minimal quantities and definitely dont rub it for the above-mentioned time!

I wouldn't recommend it for swirl removal because, as a rule we start with the least abrasive product! and 3m finesse it might just be the most abrasive one in the Indian market!
(though 3m finesse it might be useful if used properly etc.)
Hmm.. if that's the case then i may be going in for the F1 scratch out liquid. Hope that the product works to at least some extent.
Any one who can purchase some microfiber cloths on my behalf.(unable to locate the same in Lko) I will definitely pay for the expenses incl shipping. Do help me out in this regard and if possible share some indicative prices. The basic use will be to dry wipe the car and removal of wax/polish.
Old 20th July 2010, 11:52   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Yeah i was a little surprised, but thats the place they recommended. Seems like they have nothing else here

Getting the DA is one part, knowing how to use properly is another. The deal looks good but the cost is almost 3 times that from the US. For about 20K,maybe for 3 cars seems fine enough cause if you go for a surface treatment, it will cost about 10K for 3 cars. Do you know how to use this?
For new cars- maybe you can find a place that can do swirl removal for about 2K or so and then maintain yourself. I am seeing that its possible to maintain once a treatment is done and DA then maybe not needed for 2 years or even more.
No, I do not know how to use it but I won't know how to use it if I don't try it. For trying it out, I will be experimenting on a 1987 Maruti Omni and I am sure the omni won't complain.

About the pricing, I will try looking for it in Delhi when I visit there next month. Else, I will get it from 20north or kmd on TE.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:35   #2681
BHPian

Hi experts,

Can anyone guide me as to what would be a good way to clean the fabric uphostery inside my car? It's white, and over the years has collected quite a bit of dirt and is not looking all that good...there are some dark dirt stains as well in some of the places (mainly thanks to the dirty hands and feet of the people who transported my car..wish I could get hold of their throats..)

Anyway, I want to clean the seats as well as the fabric inserts in the doors (both white).

Any suggestions? Would I need some special kind of shampoo or a normal liquid based cleaner will do (say a hair shampoo)...? I'd like to be able to do it on my own over a Saturday.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

PS: This might have already been answered in the thread, but I couldn't find the time to read all 179 pages. Kindly excuse.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:08   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
yeah looks like the DA should be easy to use. The problem is getting it from US, with the pads etc, quite a bit of hassle. Added to that the voltage difference in the device. Lets hope can get a megs dealer- easier and hassle free to pay a little and get the swirls out, rest can handle
Do not get it from the USA - but from UK if you can. Your voltage problem will be solved. You can get Flex 3401, Dewalt, Meg 220, Das 6 and Das 6 pro in the UK with 220/240 volt motors. Get the pads from US though. I checked with Megs dealer in Singapore (Hypercoat), the G220 sells for SGD 300.

Rgds
Sid
Old 20th July 2010, 22:04   #2683
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
Hi experts,

Can anyone guide me as to what would be a good way to clean the fabric uphostery inside my car? It's white, and over the years has collected quite a bit of dirt and is not looking all that good...there are some dark dirt stains as well in some of the places (mainly thanks to the dirty hands and feet of the people who transported my car..wish I could get hold of their throats..)

Anyway, I want to clean the seats as well as the fabric inserts in the doors (both white).

Any suggestions? Would I need some special kind of shampoo or a normal liquid based cleaner will do (say a hair shampoo)...? I'd like to be able to do it on my own over a Saturday.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

PS: This might have already been answered in the thread, but I couldn't find the time to read all 179 pages. Kindly excuse.
Vineet - I use Sonax interior cleaner which i find is very good for cleaning car covers, the door inserts as well as carpets. Easy to use too. Just spray on & wipe off with a wet cloth.

Dont know how much dirt is present on your seats though. You may have to vacuum or brush before you apply it if its too dirty !
Old 21st July 2010, 00:26   #2684
BHPian

Quote:

For defect correction you WILL need a machine polisher. They say that the DA polisher will take care of minor swirls but to do a major swirl / scratch removal you will need a circular polisher. This can actually damage your car paint if you are not an expert in handling it. IMHO do not try compounding unless with a DA as you may introduce more defects in your paint.

My doctor advised me not to strain my shoulder so I will have to get a DA soon !! From the forums it appears that it is OK for use by a rookie so long as you use lower speeds and mild cut (polish) or no cut (sealant, wax) pads. But it is all academic unless you use it your self. I am looking at the FLEX XC 3401 VRG orbital polisher. Autogeek sells the 230Volt one and is cheaper than Europe (!!). Should be here by month end. Will keep you posted.

Rgds
Old 21st July 2010, 00:55   #2685
Senior - BHPian

^Whoa Awesome!

Flex is the best out there!
upto 9600OPMs!! and the most powerful direct drive motor!
totally awesome choice!

and defect removal with that comes in the rotary spectrum!

I was looking at Griot's Garage 6" orbital polisher,
850W motor, 6k OPMs ( i wont need more than that as I take regular care of my i20 and wont be needing extensive restoration!)

They claim that defect removal with that is easier as GG orbital(and Flex ones)wont give in under pressure!(as PorterCable does)

again, really an awesome choice!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks