Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 19:36   #3196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
2) Is it ok to use these scotch brite sponges (sponges, not the scrub), to apply polish onto the car before buffing it with MF cloth? Its the same as the wax applicator sponge that comes with Turtle wax right or do we run the risk of scratches?

are you sure that the are super soft and not dense/rough ???

if yes , you can use that .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Vasoo - congrats ! Would it be possible for you to share with us what were the charges you incurred ? How much were the shipping charges & did you end up paying customs duty also ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Me too interested in the following details :-

-Shipping charges,
-Time taken from the date of order to delivery,
-Customs handled by borderlinx?
-Are their quotes kinda acceptable? :P
mee too !!!

but any updates on shopyourworld.com ???

there quotes are much more VFM !!!
Old 13th September 2010, 21:54   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post

Yes they are the soft type. It also said scratch free. So I hope its good.
Old 13th September 2010, 22:08   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Me too interested in the following details :-

-Shipping charges,
-Time taken from the date of order to delivery,
-Customs handled by borderlinx?
-Are their quotes kinda acceptable? :P
- Shipping, handling and taxes together was $76.77 (INR 3630). Item cost was about $32 (INR 1513) only. Total cost INR 5143 . The same items if I had bought through SYW it would have cost me only about Rs 3060 (as gift item).

- Everything was handled by them.
- Found them more expensive than shopyourworld.com Hence ordered more items through SYW. This include Meguiar's Nxt 2.0 wash and wax kit and Mothers California Gold clay bar kit. Total cost including shipping was about Rs 3500 for items worth $45.

Last edited by vasoo : 13th September 2010 at 22:18.
Old 13th September 2010, 22:31   #3199
BHPian

^^ great and what about the review of SYW ???
Old 13th September 2010, 23:18   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Yes they are the soft type. It also said scratch free. So I hope its good.
DO NOT USE THESE. These are for cleaning utensils. Scratch free would apply to utensils. If you must use these wrap them in a micro fiber towel or a soft cotton cloth.

Rgds
Old 13th September 2010, 23:41   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Today while washing my car I found that the wiper marks on my front windshield are VERY prominent.
The 3M glass cleaner I use is of no use on the wiper marks.
I am wondering what should I do - 50-50 solution of vinegar and water?
Not good. First check your wipers - particularly the portion of the blade which align with the marks - normally wipers will not scratch your WS unless some grime got caught in it. But if it is leaving streaks you must check to see whether you need a new set. Now a days you can also get only the rubber blade as well - threading it in the frame may require some determination. Use some WS washer fluid in future. Your dealer may help. These also lubricate the glass to keep the wipers moving smoothly.

In the present weather conditions give due regard to the importance of the wipers !!

Rgds
Old 14th September 2010, 00:12   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Claying will also help in smooth wiper movement over the glass!

btw I tried Turtle Wax Rain repellent on the glass of my dad's car and he was super impressed!!

According to him, the rain water was sheeting off the glass due to the wind(instead of smearing, as previously was the case) + wipers were more effectively wiping away all the water off the glass!

I'll try this on my love next!

@vasoo - Super WHOA!!! $76 shipping for $32 item!!! Damn!!!
Old 14th September 2010, 00:13   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Not good. First check your wipers - particularly the portion of the blade which align with the marks - normally wipers will not scratch your WS unless some grime got caught in it. But if it is leaving streaks you must check to see whether you need a new set. Now a days you can also get only the rubber blade as well - threading it in the frame may require some determination. Use some WS washer fluid in future. Your dealer may help. These also lubricate the glass to keep the wipers moving smoothly.

In the present weather conditions give due regard to the importance of the wipers !!

Rgds
The marks are not like scratches or wiper shuddering. Its that the area covered by wipers and the area out of coverage have 2 different textures (although feels same when I run my palm over the WS). I regularly clean all 3 (2 front 1 rear) of my wiper blades while washing my car. Also - almost all of the time the car is parked in shade (house / office / theaters / malls) - so there is lesser chance of wipers going bad due to cracking.
I used to have WS washer fluid (store brand concentrate) I brought back from US, but when that ran out I am using a lidful of car wash in the washer tank diluted with distilled water.
Maybe I should try claying the WS? It may be bonded dirt being the culprit.
I shall try and post a picture of the WS soon.
Old 14th September 2010, 08:44   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
By rough you mean it feels rough or do you see dirt spots hardened or tar/any other spots physically present on it. Claying should take care of paint smoothness in case you don't see anything but the paint feels rough.

Or else you may also use diesel to remove the tar/other hard dirt spots.

You may wait as long as the professional car detailing package includes claying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The roughness in the lower portion of the door is due to 'TAR'. This is normal during the monsoons. You can definitely correct that yourself.

Wash/soak the portion in diesel or kerosene. Then using a cloth dipped in Kerosene/diesel rub the deposits, it should easily come off. After this, shampoo wash the area as you normally wash your car. If you prefer, you can wax the area, it will regain its full glory.
@fine69, Dhanushs

Thanks for the advise, will definitely try using the diesel or Kerosene to remove the tar. I hope there would be no damage or reaction to the paint.

Is there any way that Tar sticking to the paint can be avoided esp during monsoons? Some kind of waxing/paint protection maybe?
Old 14th September 2010, 09:11   #3205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is there any way that Tar sticking to the paint can be avoided esp during monsoons? Some kind of waxing/paint protection maybe?
Not really, its just that tar would then stick to the wax Not denying that wax protection doesn't help but IMO you should wait for the monsoons to get over and then proceed with the complete detailing process.

With Delhi seeing one of the heaviest downpours this year I too am not very happy seeing my car all dirt ridden almost every other day but can't really do much about it. I wash my car twice a week (with Amway shampoo) and rest of the days just use a MF cloth to wipe off the light dust/dirt (except lower portions of door). Even my Jopasu Duster is of no use as its not dry dust so all I'm praying is for the monsoon to pass by as quickly as it can.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:34   #3206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post

mee too !!!

but any updates on shopyourworld.com ???

there quotes are much more VFM !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
- Shipping, handling and taxes together was $76.77 (INR 3630). Item cost was about $32 (INR 1513) only. Total cost INR 5143 . The same items if I had bought through SYW it would have cost me only about Rs 3060 (as gift item).

- Found them more expensive than shopyourworld.com Hence ordered more items through SYW. This include Meguiar's Nxt 2.0 wash and wax kit and Mothers California Gold clay bar kit. Total cost including shipping was about Rs 3500 for items worth $45.
The issue with SYW is that the 8 ~ 12 days is WORKING DAYS.. My package is expected to be om later this week but definitely before 20th Sep

Let me wait and post my feedback.

Regards

Sateesh
Old 14th September 2010, 15:37   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post

It hurt when I saw this post. These guys are taking all for a ride. Buying detailing supplies through these channels is exorbitant Even though SYW allows you to buy directly from the merchant, if you look at the USD price and the Rs. price there is a good amount of padding already and then the shipping!!

What is Meguiars upto? They have a India link on their website which is a static page. I suggest that all you Megs users become members of the Megs forum and start posting about this. They should either take the page down or make the products available.Why are they advertising when the products are not available. I believe there is a dealer as well. What does he sell other than hot air?

The web forums have become a powerful customer relationship tool now-a-days. Companies have officers who monitor the forums to keep a finger on the customer pulse.You will get a quick response either way. Hopefully they will change the distributor at least. An interested person will invest in lifting stocks and selling the products. Meguiars will then have a reasonable market here.

Start a thead in the forum and start posting. Be nice but sound frustrated.

Rgds

Last edited by Garipagol : 14th September 2010 at 15:39.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:27   #3208
BHPian

Vasoo - Thanks for the details !

Garipagol - To add to what you said, after searching around, i found Autogeek to be the best option for my requirements. However i find that the shipping cost varies from consignment to consignment.

My 1st order was for 125 USD, shipping cost was 140 USD !
Customs duty was applied at 30% of the total (item cost + shipping)
Weight - 9kgs

My 2nd order was 625 USD, shipping cost was 165 USD !
Weight - 10.5 Kgs

(In both the cases, shipping was through United states postal service, which takes just 5 days max to ship to India)

I did contact Megs directly about the availability of their products in India & they did mention that they are working on bringing in their products through 3M India. When that will happen & we can buy Megs products across the counter at our local store is anybody's guess

From what i have explored, the prices of Megs products outside of the US is almost 3 times the US price. I have checked UK, Australia & Thailand. I did try to check Dubai too but availability is a concern.

If Megs does become available in India, the costs would be equally high i feel !
Old 14th September 2010, 16:42   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
Vasoo - Thanks for the details !

Garipagol - To add to what you said, after searching around, i found Autogeek to be the best option for my requirements. However i find that the shipping cost varies from consignment to consignment.

My 1st order was for 125 USD, shipping cost was 140 USD !
Customs duty was applied at 30% of the total (item cost + shipping)
Weight - 9kgs

My 2nd order was 625 USD, shipping cost was 165 USD !
Weight - 10.5 Kgs

(In both the cases, shipping was through United states postal service, which takes just 5 days max to ship to India)

I did contact Megs directly about the availability of their products in India & they did mention that they are working on bringing in their products through 3M India. When that will happen & we can buy Megs products across the counter at our local store is anybody's guess

From what i have explored, the prices of Megs products outside of the US is almost 3 times the US price. I have checked UK, Australia & Thailand. I did try to check Dubai too but availability is a concern.

If Megs does become available in India, the costs would be equally high i feel !
Hi Nirmal,

One of my cousin would visit India sometime next month, Iam keen in getting the Meg products, could you suggest me what all are must to have.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 14th September 2010, 16:47   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
It hurt when I saw this post.

The web forums have become a powerful customer relationship tool now-a-days.

Start a thead in the forum and start posting. Be nice but sound frustrated.

Rgds
So very true Garipagol. I have trying my hardest to get some of the stuff locally from the lead distributor in TamilNadu. All I have heard is we don't have stocks now

His website is Welcome to HIPER SHINE & GROOMING ENTERPRISES

Quote:

I got the same feedback when I wrote to Meguiars that they are working in using 3M as a channel . But these are not time bound.

If Meguiars has a direct distribution channel I don't think it will be as expensive as it is today for us.

It will be good idea to start something on the lines of what Garipagol suggested. The opportunity cost is huge and I am surprised that Meguiars isn't working hard to get this done quickly

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks