Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:31   #3301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have purchased a yellow dabba of Formula1 Carnabula Car Wax. Will be using it this weekend.

How much quantity do I need to apply ? In other words, for roughly how many applications will the can last for a small car (i10) ?

Rohan

First make sure you have bought the ORIGINAL formula1 wax.Because there are so many fakes.There must be the importer label by name "Classic something..." I dont remember the exact name.

Apply a thin layer of it.Moist the sponge before applying it and in between applications too.

If you have bought the small box then it will last for some 8 applications.The bigger box will last approx 15 application for a i10
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:37   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
I have purchased a yellow dabba of Formula1 Carnabula Car Wax. Will be using it this weekend.

How much quantity do I need to apply ? In other words, for roughly how many applications will the can last for a small car (i10) ?

Rohan

Its a pain though to use this wax. The other issue with this wax is that, it leaves residues which is again a pain to clear.

I have been using this wax & looking out to get something else which doesnt leave any residues as such.

How are you planning to apply it ? machine or manually ?
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:36   #3303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
First make sure you have bought the ORIGINAL formula1 wax.Because there are so many fakes.There must be the importer label by name "Classic something..." I dont remember the exact name.

Apply a thin layer of it.Moist the sponge before applying it and in between applications too.

If you have bought the small box then it will last for some 8 applications.The bigger box will last approx 15 application for a i10
Thanks to Team-BHP, I am aware of the fakes in the market. I'm sure I have purchased the original Formula 1, imported by Classic Motoring Accessories.

The can is of 340 gm. Is this the small one or the big one ? I have seen only this size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Its a pain though to use this wax. The other issue with this wax is that, it leaves residues which is again a pain to clear.

I have been using this wax & looking out to get something else which doesnt leave any residues as such.

How are you planning to apply it ? machine or manually ?
I know some people have reported such issues. But I could not find any other reputed brand.

This is my first time, planning to apply it manually. Lets see how it goes.

I'm not very sure of the exact process to be followed. What I roughly understand is as follows:
- Wash car with shampoo
- Wipe it dry with cloth
- Apply car wax on paint areas of car using applicator sponge provided (moisten the sponge every time before applying wax on car)
- Wait for some time (HOW MUCH?)
- Wipe it off with soft cotton cloth
- After finishing, take photograph and post on this thread

I hope the above process is correct. Please suggest any corrections, modifications or tips.

When is a good time to do this - morning 7 to 9 or evening 5 to 7 ?

Rohan
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:44   #3304
BHPian

Wait for approx 5-10 minutes and do it in morning!!!
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:49   #3305
Senior - BHPian

Rohan when applying the F1 polish do take care not to spread it over the rubber parts. Its a pain to remove after it has dried up. And add "Take a picture of the car before doing any work" for comparison as a first step in your to do list Regarding the time factor, its advisable to detail the car in daytime. So 7 to 9 IMO This will ensure the proper coverage of the stuff on the car and daylight will also help you in taking good quality pics to show us your hard work.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:51   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Rohan - My thoughts in bold mentioned below.

Quote:
I'm not very sure of the exact process to be followed. What I roughly understand is as follows:

- Wash car with shampoo
correct. wash and rinse one segment at a time so as not to let soap suds go dry.

- Wipe it dry with cloth
Try to use chamois or microfiber cloth.

- Apply car wax on paint areas of car using applicator sponge provided (moisten the sponge every time before applying wax on car)
You need not moisten the sponge everytime - every now n then is enough.

- Wait for some time (HOW MUCH?)
Wait for 5-7 minutes

- Wipe it off with soft cotton cloth
Again try to use good detailing microfiber

- After finishing, take photograph and post on this thread
Correct!

I hope the above process is correct. Please suggest any corrections, modifications or tips.

When is a good time to do this - morning 7 to 9 or evening 5 to 7 ?

try it in the morning

Rohan
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:59   #3307
Distinguished - BHPian

@rohan_iitr

You have bought the bigger tin. Wait for max 10 minutes before wiping it off.Any more time and the wax becomes hard to remove.
Formula1 does not give a deep shine that the other premium waxes like collinite gives.But its good and beads water for 2 weeks.Shine is just ok.Maybe since i have a beige i20 i cant make out the shine much??Or is it just a illusion?

And ya do post the pics before and after detailing

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd September 2010 at 21:05.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:04   #3308
Senior - BHPian

If the paint is in perfect condition(swirls and scratch free), you can make out the shine and gloss on even white and other solid colors!!
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:28   #3309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If the paint is in perfect condition(swirls and scratch free), you can make out the shine and gloss on even white and other solid colors!!

Yes,the paint is in pristine condition.The car is just 2 months old and i have been waxing it since it was one week old
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:37   #3310
Senior - BHPian

What wax are you using? (actually Formula1 is a cleaner wax by definition! so I wont recommend using it on a new car)
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:56   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
What wax are you using? (actually Formula1 is a cleaner wax by definition! so I wont recommend using it on a new car)

Yes i am using F1 wax.Should i stop it?What are the alternatives in indian market?
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:20   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Collinite 845 is the only worthy alternative you can get here!(without any abrasives!)

Others are all cleaner waxes!(as in waxes with abrasives to remove surface oxidation and wax the surface in one step!) Since yours is a new car the abrasives might be counterproductive.

cleaner waxes should be used as an alternative to polishing and waxing if one doesn't have he time to do full polishing and waxing sessions!

Last edited by sohail99 : 22nd September 2010 at 23:22.
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:34   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Sohail you missed out our very own desi Waxpol pure carnauba hard wax (the orange tin) Its also a pure wax i think. BTW i agree to what you said, Collinite 845 is the only best alternative you can get locally.
BTW would you people recommend using the automotive body wax for the window glasses?? Are there any disadvantages of using it. I know the disadvantage of using it on the front windshield.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:13   #3314
Senior - BHPian

If you want to wax the windows for water repulsion! then I'd recommend TurtleWax rain repellant!!

That stuff is really good! I tried it on my dad's car's windscreen and all the windows about 2 weeks ago, and it still beads and sheets water like crazy!! (holding out even in this severe monsoon!!)
Also wipers run a lot smoother on the glass.

Initially I was like super skeptical as to what the product claimed to do, but my dad was really happy with how it performed!

Last edited by sohail99 : 23rd September 2010 at 10:15.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:20   #3315
Senior - BHPian

n00b warning... Beware!

Meguiars 5 step paint care cycle is like this:
  1. Wash
  2. Clean
  3. Polish
  4. Protect
  5. Maintain

Now since getting Meg products here in India is close to impossible I'd like to know what are my options from Turtlewax or Formula 1 range of products.

Wash - Formula 1 Wash and Wax - I have already got this. Product link.
Clean - Clean - Claying, this step I am OK to postpone it for now. Again clays are hard to come by. The only option being Jopasu
Polish - Is Formula 1 carnuba car wax the right product for this stage? Again, I already have this product. Link here.
Protect - Is Collinite 845 insulator wax a good product for this stage? I have this product as well.
Maintain - I don't know or have any product for this stage, Meg's has Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Detailer products. Perhaps Formula 1 Spray Wax or Turtle Wax Express shine can be used here.

I have not included interior and wheel and tire cleaners here.

Looking forward to your replies.

Most Viewed