Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 23:15   #3586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Finally tried out my Flex 3401 DA over the weekend !
Decided to try out the least aggressive approach first after evaluating the paint condition. Went with the Lake country 6.5 : orange pad with Megs 205. Test subject was our red ruby, the Swift !

Before that, opened up the backing plate for oiling the felt ring as gurus suggested :

Proof that even a newbie can use the Flex to remove swirls ! Our driver in action working on a section !
Copy book stuff !! The oiling of the felt ring is because of the contact. People have reported that ring sometimes strips off at high speed (only when new).

Quote:

My other observations :

- First tried out at speed setting of 2, 3 then went up to 5 for swirl removal, to get used to the vibration & understand the mood of the machine.
2 or 3 is no good for paint correction. 5 is what is recommended. So you did right. Try the side handle which came with the unit if the vibration is bothering you. It will be easier to do the vertical panels with the side handle. Tighten the nut !

Quote:
- Needed to keep lots of MF towels handy. This was a single stage repainted paint (at Maruti ***) & lots of residue was getting picked up by the towels.
If you are getting paint residue on your pad with 205 stay away from 105. It will dig into your paint. Remember what you cannot see isn't there.

Good work !

Rgds
Old 11th October 2010, 23:17   #3587
Nos007

@nirmal: Thanx for picture sir , so it means i just have to do section until its cleared of all defects ???

Old 11th October 2010, 23:29   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Finally tried out my Flex 3401 DA over the weekend !
BTW, what pads are you using ? They do not look like CC Smart pads. You have pimples instead of dimples !!

Rgds
Old 12th October 2010, 08:17   #3589
Senior - BHPian

I too use ccs pads! I think these pads have 'pimples' inside the dimples! lol I've heard that plane pads do a good job too as most product remains on the surface rather than in dimples!

Last edited by sohail99 : 12th October 2010 at 08:23.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:42   #3590
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
..... Remember what you cannot see isn't there.

Good work !

Rgds
This is a golden rule what all folks should make a note of! Words of wisdom indeed, added to this: What you cannot see, don't try hard to find ( will keep you happier!)
Old 12th October 2010, 22:12   #3591
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks Garipagol ! i did try out the side panels but haven't put on the handle yet. Ive got used to the vibrations but the machine is definitely powerful !! It starts running away more on the doors !

These are the Lake country 6.5 inch smart pads from Autogeek, must be some new design, i too noticed the pimples inside the dimples, product tends to get collected in those dimples. Spraying on a little water brings about some lubrication, getting the product out.

Nos007 - Yes, i did stop from time to time to inspect whether the swirls were being removed, once done, i stopped ! Are you planning to get a Flex too
Old 12th October 2010, 22:25   #3592
BHPian

Hi Guys!
I just received my Collinite 845 through BB Impex. From the pictures, I thought the bottle wouldn't be very big but when I saw it for the first time, the size of the bottle amazed me.
All that's printed on the bottle is equally impressive as well.
I am waiting for tomorrow when I will try it out on my Fiesta S.
Now, a query. I can feel on the lower parts of the door a grain-like texture. This is maybe because my car doesn't have mudflaps due to the skirtings and all.
What do I do to remove it?
Sorry, I cannot source a clay at the moment so please suggest an alternative which is clear coat safe but helps to prep the surface better to let the Collinite bond nicely for an ultimate finish.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:42   #3593
Nos007

@nirmal : Thanx , i am neighbour of notorious , since he is banned , i am asking his question and i hope he can let me use his megs da .

@abhi : that grain like texture must be road tar stains , use diesel to remove it !!

Old 13th October 2010, 09:05   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Sorry, I cannot source a clay at the moment so please suggest an alternative which is clear coat safe but helps to prep the surface better to let the Collinite bond nicely for an ultimate finish.
I had the same issue till last month and claying wasn't the cheapest way out. So instead I started using diesel to get rid of hard tar/dirt/bird dropping spots and it works amazingly well.

Here's how I do it, soak a cotton cloth in diesel and apply it to the paint area, leave it for about 20-30 seconds and wipe it off with a good car wash shampoo (must). In case the spot refuses to go away then you may leave the diesel soaked cloth on for even more time. I've used diesel on ORVMs and even roof to get rid of other hard non-tar spots.

Ensure that the diesel is wiped off completely and do not just use water for it. If the diesel remains in contact with the paint for a long time then it'd definitely stain the paint.

However, in case by sourcing you meant unable to locate one I can suggest Jopasu clay on ebay eBay India: Clay Bar (item 110595594388 end time 06-Nov-2010 13:31:07 IST) but it says its medium abrasive!
Old 13th October 2010, 10:49   #3595
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Today happened to stop for fueling and could see the car in daylight clearly, after a while now. To be honest- i was floored! The shimmer and wet look on the paint is amazing, that too considering no sealant has been added for a while. I have done 2 quick coats of collinite over the weekend though. Its very hard indeed to put it in a picture what it shows up in real. It was a joy and surely the hard work initially put in is all worth it. All this when the service center guys happily washed it in the last service. Blackfire Wet Diamond is highly recommended, apply multiple layers and see its magic. After that -any wax over it is an icing on the cake
The effect is glorified in medium light, not bright sunlight, will try and find the right chance to take a pic
Old 14th October 2010, 10:33   #3596
Senior - BHPian

After a thorough wash with shampoo and application of Amway's Silicone Glaze I applied Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell paste wax to my car's hood. I let it dry for about 5-7 minutes and then when I started buffing the wax buffed off pretty quickly (unlike a paste wax) and there was tiny green granular residue coming off all over.

As I continued buffing granular residue continued to come off and in the end was all over my car's hood. Though the surface got exceptionally smooth (smoother than it was after silicone glaze's application) I want to check if I've procured a bad wax. I've only tried liquid waxes before and they were harder to buff off after drying than this one. May be I needed to let it dry a little longer. Has anybody faced something similar to this or is it indeed a bad/expired wax that I got.

I picked it up yesterday from Reliance Autozone near Crowne Plaze in Gurgaon and the packaging date was May, 2010.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:04   #3597
Senior - BHPian

My first steps towards maintaining the aesthetic appeal of my car. I picked up a bottle of Armor All wash and wax and a bottle of Armor All polish.

These are the following steps that I would be taking, please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I can improve any further :-

1. Diesel soaked cloth - Clean the alloys and the areas which pick up tar and muck.
2. Wash the car with the Wash & Wax. Use a cloth wash off all the dirt etc.
3. Wash the car clean with clean water. Use a cloth of clean of the detergent.
4. Wait for the water to drip off as much as possible. Then use a dry cloth to wipe it dry.

5. Using another cloth, apply the polish evenly over each body panel and then buff it in.

What cloths do I use for washing and then polishing? Is the 3M Lint free types available at the local supermarket good enough?
Old 14th October 2010, 12:06   #3598
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
After a thorough wash with shampoo and application of Amway's Silicone Glaze I applied Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell paste wax to my car's hood. I let it dry for about 5-7 minutes and then when I started buffing the wax buffed off pretty quickly (unlike a paste wax) and there was tiny green granular residue coming off all over.

As I continued buffing granular residue continued to come off and in the end was all over my car's hood. Though the surface got exceptionally smooth (smoother than it was after silicone glaze's application) I want to check if I've procured a bad wax. I've only tried liquid waxes before and they were harder to buff off after drying than this one. May be I needed to let it dry a little longer. Has anybody faced something similar to this or is it indeed a bad/expired wax that I got.

I picked it up yesterday from Reliance Autozone near Crowne Plaze in Gurgaon and the packaging date was May, 2010.
A well known problem with Turtle wax, the green stuff all over the car, esp in the beadings.Its a major pain,hence i just stopped using it, thankfully! There are much more superior quality stuff and almost the same price, Collinite being one of them
Old 14th October 2010, 12:22   #3599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
A well known problem with Turtle wax, the green stuff all over the car, esp in the beadings.Its a major pain,hence i just stopped using it, thankfully! There are much more superior quality stuff and almost the same price, Collinite being one of them
Thanks! I'm relieved that at least it isn't a bad wax.

The price difference is huge unlike you mentioned, Turtle wax Hard Shell is 235/- where as Collinite is 1200/- plus. I was looking for a wax that doesn't cost more than 300-400. As a beginner I was thinking of starting out with comparatively cheaper products and as I get the hang of detailing I'd move to professional products (hopefully by then I'd be able to get a house with my own garage too).

I was impressed with the shine and smoothness it gave to the paint surface and wouldn't mind using it a few more times before moving on to Eagle One's Nanowax (paste) and then Collinite and its likes.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:36   #3600
BHPian

Nice thread! Very informative. I am ordering stuff from the US and was looking at the options @Meguiars. But I am unable to decide the stuff to order.
Car: FIAT Punto Hiphop Black

My requirements:
-Deep color and shine
- Remove swirls
- Maintain the surface

I cant afford for a polisher so will be doing all by hand. What are the products you would suggest I could buy?
Currently thought of the following:
NXT Generation® Car Wash
SwirlXDeep Crystal® System Polish
NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 Paste
NXT Generation® Glass Cleaner
Ultimate Wipe® Detailing Cloth
Supreme Shine® Microfiber Towel - 1 Pack
Water Magnet® Microfiber Drying Towel

Gurus, please advice! if any of the above will not work when done by hand or if there is anything further I need which I could order. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Most Viewed