Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 09:52   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Blackasta- Man the pics you posted make me feel as we live in a jungle(compared to a city life).I mean we have almost NOTHING to talk about when it comes to car care stores. Even if we do get them, the price we pay is 2-3 times.
Wish i get a chance to visit USA sometime soon, can buy a full suitcase worth of stuff
Remember its just one part of one aisle at walmart - which stocks pretty much everything under the sun.
This walmart has 5-6 aisles dedicated to car care, car painting, car audio, tires, dedicated aisle for RV, dedicated aisle for engine oils, etc etc.
Imagine what its inside a dedicated auto parts store like autozone etc.
Good news is India is finally maturing for a car care market - and we should start to get more options in years to come. Lets hope for the best.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:23   #3707
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Great photos and write-up. Just one question, with all the effort you took, how long do you think your car will remain swirl free? We spend hours getting that showroom finish, and the car again starts showing swirls in a few days/months.

Can we ask all the bhpians that after all the effort who has been able to keep his dark color car swirl free the longest, after all the effort?

I would appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. Like MKH taking photos regularly after this hard work and sharing his experience.
On my last car- i had got a 3M treatment done in the month of Dec/Jan and till June, it was swirl free. The reason is that i use ONLY a california duster for everyday dusting and when v essential, put water. Using a wash mitt and chamois for the drying. Also i use 3M micro to gently wipe down once in 2-3 days and use Quick Wax Sprays in between. I think now in bangalore its not going to rain as often for about 4-5 months so washes maybe once in a week at the most, which means lesser chances of swirls appearing.
I expect no swirls to come up for the next 6 months minimum, unless some moron(like the service center folks) runs a pass of junk cloth over the car. I have to remember and be vv careful to tell them not to wash my car at all.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:24   #3708
BHPian

Can we get Waxpol Carnauba Wax and Collinite 845 in local shops (Bangalore) ?

Thanks..
Old 26th October 2010, 12:29   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fiesta car detailing query

All Car detailing experts,

I am planning to get my Ford Fiesta detailed by Carzspa outlet available in Thane since I dont have time to do it myself. The options which I have chosen is going to cost me 5K which includes interior and exterior cleaning & under body inspection. The guy whom I talked to confirmed that they use only Meguiar products for detailing and he had shown me a couple of bottles during my visit.
1) How do I ensure that they actually use the Meg products only since I will not be standing through out the whole process.
2) Any pre cautions I need to take before the job begins.

I have been religiously following this thread although sometimes posts went above my head.. Kindly advise.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:40   #3710
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
On my last car- i had got a 3M treatment done in the month of Dec/Jan and till June, it was swirl free. The reason is that i use ONLY a california duster for everyday dusting and when v essential, put water. Using a wash mitt and chamois for the drying. Also i use 3M micro to gently wipe down once in 2-3 days and use Quick Wax Sprays in between. I think now in bangalore its not going to rain as often for about 4-5 months so washes maybe once in a week at the most, which means lesser chances of swirls appearing.
I expect no swirls to come up for the next 6 months minimum, unless some moron(like the service center folks) runs a pass of junk cloth over the car. I have to remember and be vv careful to tell them not to wash my car at all.
Thanks MKH for the feedback. So to conclude, you suggest, California Duster, a micro and a Detailing liquid in between to keep the finish slick. Also I think that you cannot trust anyone else to clean your car even though you hand them all these tools/product. Right???

Let's hear other guys on the forum whether they too feel this will help them keep their cars swirl free.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:51   #3711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great photos and write-up. Just one question, with all the effort you took, how long do you think your car will remain swirl free? We spend hours getting that showroom finish, and the car again starts showing swirls in a few days/months.

Can we ask all the bhpians that after all the effort who has been able to keep his dark color car swirl free the longest, after all the effort?

I would appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. Like MKH taking photos regularly after this hard work and sharing his experience.
It all depends on the car owner!!

If he is a detailing enthusiast like mkh and most of us here! then I guarantee 6+ months(maybe even more) of swirl free paint!

Generally other ppl dont have any idea on how to maintain the paint and even after getting it polished, the car ends up a swirled mess!
Old 26th October 2010, 13:59   #3712
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks MKH for the feedback. So to conclude, you suggest, California Duster, a micro and a Detailing liquid in between to keep the finish slick. Also I think that you cannot trust anyone else to clean your car even though you hand them all these tools/product. Right???

Let's hear other guys on the forum whether they too feel this will help them keep their cars swirl free.
Yes, a most critical factor is NOT the have anyone else touch the car. However my cleaning guy knows how to use a california duster and he does that, also he knows how to use a wash mitt and chamois. I only do the quick detailing using Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer and the occasional Quick Wax.
He also knows what micro to use, and nothing else, so i am safer that way.
Most swirls come due to improper wiping post wash, if use a micro like 3M, those can be avoided.
Old 26th October 2010, 16:47   #3713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@ garipagol

Sometime back you suggested Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (PO83Q) , Super Finish (PO106FA) and power lock to me.
The super intensive polish and super finish (nano) features in the ceramic show car finish kit - specially recommended for mercs and nissans with ceramic clear coats.
Can these be safely used on other cars? The reason I ask is I fear that they may be a bit too aggressive on normal clearcoat.
Kindly advise.
Not really. But ..yes the cars you mention uses CeramiClear clearcoat from PPG Industries which is harder than other CC. Menzerna brought these polishes to the market specifically for Ceramiclear. The SIP sits in the middle of the abrasive scale and the SF is at the end.

People have used these two Menzerna products as one-two with great results on other CC without any damage to paint. Mind you Menzerna is a water based product and the abrasives diminish to a powdery state in a short time span - so the buffing cycle is not as long as say Megs so paint damage is hardly likely. I have used it on my swift (to practice before I moved to the Merc). But be aware that Menzerna is best applied with DA / Rotary.

But I appreciate where you are coming from. If you are not comfortable stay with Megs 105/205. Some folks in the forum have got terrific results
with the pair. But if you want to step out ...

Rgds
Old 26th October 2010, 18:46   #3714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Not really. But ..yes the cars you mention uses CeramiClear clearcoat from PPG Industries which is harder than other CC. Menzerna brought these polishes to the market specifically for Ceramiclear. The SIP sits in the middle of the abrasive scale and the SF is at the end.

People have used these two Menzerna products as one-two with great results on other CC without any damage to paint. Mind you Menzerna is a water based product and the abrasives diminish to a powdery state in a short time span - so the buffing cycle is not as long as say Megs so paint damage is hardly likely. I have used it on my swift (to practice before I moved to the Merc). But be aware that Menzerna is best applied with DA / Rotary.

But I appreciate where you are coming from. If you are not comfortable stay with Megs 105/205. Some folks in the forum have got terrific results
with the pair. But if you want to step out ...

Rgds

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I guess I shall put my money on Menzerna this time - as I plan on getting a DA.
Old 27th October 2010, 18:45   #3715
Team-BHP Support

Here is something that might interest you guys

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ml#post2120719

My review of Kamyo Detailiers. Apparently the owner has developed and uses his own products, and they do a stupendous job. He also designed his own Dual Orbital polisher or whatever its called and patented it.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:18   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... from the pics he knows what he's doing! Which is great!

but the machines he uses are standard ones! nothing extraordinary!

For compounding, he's using a rotary polisher and for applying a sealant, he using a orbital waxer! (Chk out post no. 4 here - SwirlX with orbital waxer? - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online )

--------------------

btw did a section of my i20 today and used SwirlX with a orange pad!

I thought SwirlX wont be able to handle the swirls(more like RIDS) but after 2-3 passes It cleaned up defect free and LSP ready!!!

I've heard that ppl dont get good results with SwirlX when applying it with hand! Its a totally different story with a machine!

Sorry no pics as I was working in the evening and evaluating the surface with the swirl finder light!

(I now kinda prefer working in the night when the paint is cool as there's no risk associated with hot/warm paint + I felt that after all the surrounding light is out, a swirl finder light(or any other strong LED or halogen light) is able to highlight swirls and micro marring better than in sun!(sun's brightness itself hides some micro marring etc.!))
Old 27th October 2010, 20:28   #3717
Nos007

Some Pics stolen From notorious computer , he is doing up his verna

Last pic shows the condition of whole car when the detailing is started
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02397.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02403.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02405.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02407.jpg  

Last edited by Nos007 : 27th October 2010 at 20:30.

Old 28th October 2010, 13:18   #3718
BHPian

@ NOS007: Good results ! But i guess the third picture shows a lot grit in and around the beadings and door handles which have not been addressed yet. M sure thats done by now cheers
Old 28th October 2010, 15:36   #3719
Nos007

^^ its a 50:50 shot , rear quater panel is done where as door hasnt been touched yet !

Old 28th October 2010, 18:22   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
My review of Kamyo Detailiers.
Whats that "steaming" process? Seen it as a item on Car cleaning packages. But what exactly do they do? Can it be done at home?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks