Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 12:57   #3901
BHPian

2nd car wash attempt

Technique :
2 bucket wash.

Hardware :
Hose (normal gardening hose - plastic translucent)
2 buckets
1 bone shaped sponge
Turtle ZIP car shampoo
Big brush (for wheel cleaning)
Tooth brush (for detailed cleaning wherever required)
MF towel for drying.

Procedure:
As usual, did the wheels first, then rest of the car. Genuinely followed 2 bucket was technique.
No WAX

Results:
This time the results were good as i used the hose to get rid of muddy spots before using shampoo. Last time i used 1 bucket wash technique followed by mug rinse which was time consuming.
I wish i had that green colored hose with spray adjustment mechanism / lock. A Pressure wash would definitely be nice.

Used 1 MF towel to clean the glass first. Then used the same towel to clean the rest of the body.

Learning / Questions
I chose a windy day to wash the car. After hose washing the car, took the car inside the parking & till then the water drops dried out on the glass. (you know how blore weather has been this week). I had a tough time cleaning the glass. Had to use a liquid glass cleaner to pickup the dried out water droplets. CHOSE A SUNNY DAY TO WASH YOUR CAR (thats not gonna happen in blr lolz)

Lather / Foam: I use 1 cap of shampoo with half a bucket of water. The lather forms in the bucket but when i apply the sponge on the car, its not there. All i see is small bubbles and thats it. Those car washing garage use 1 sachet of sunsilk / h&S maybe and are able to get nice lather. What am i doing wrong here ??

Will Post some pics soon.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:24   #3902
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

can anyone suggest me a good under 300 rs polish etc to maintain my 2 yr old bikes paint . should be applicable on both metal tank n plastic panels . should be non abrasive .
Old 8th December 2010, 13:38   #3903
Senior - BHPian

@ Mr. Nobody how about the Turtle Wax Hard shell wax. It retails for 240Rs. approx. A good alternative to Waxpol, i guess. Though its not a breeze to remove after it gets hard on the surface but overall a good product.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:54   #3904
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2nd car wash attempt

@Mr. Nobody- You cant use a polish intended for painted panels on plastics!

Paint can be polished with a polish like sonax auto polish, but a textured plastic can only be thoroughly cleaned and dressed(any plastic /vinyl protectant/polish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Lather / Foam: I use 1 cap of shampoo with half a bucket of water. The lather forms in the bucket but when i apply the sponge on the car, its not there. All i see is small bubbles and thats it. Those car washing garage use 1 sachet of sunsilk / h&S maybe and are able to get nice lather. What am i doing wrong here ??

Dont worry! The basic purpose of a car wash is adding lubricity to the soap solution.

The detergent action is very mild in order to not harm the paint finish.

As long as lubricity is there, you need not worry about lather/suds on the paint.

While the mild detergent action dislodges the dust film, the lubricity ensures that the dirt that is being dislodged doesn't scratch the paint and is taken off easily!

Add the shampoo exactly as per the manufacturer recommendations and make sure that the soap solutions slick-ens the paint!
Old 8th December 2010, 22:55   #3905
BHPian

Thanks shohail. Will be patient next time

Btw, where can i get a good hose with pressure / spray adjustment mechanism ? How much ?
Is anyone using it here ?
Old 9th December 2010, 08:32   #3906
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience with this:

Amazon.com: Liquid Glass LG100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish - 16 oz.: Automotive

Lot of guys have 5 star reviews for the same on amazon!!
Old 9th December 2010, 09:02   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Technique :

Tooth brush (for detailed cleaning wherever required)

A toothbrush is not recommended as the stiff bristles can be harsh on the painted surface. I assume you would typically use it to clean near the badge
areas. Be careful as excess pressure can scuff and mar the paint finish.

I use earbuds for the badge areas. Works well.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:01   #3908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, where can i get a good hose with pressure / spray adjustment mechanism ? How much ?
hose, Home, Decor Furnishings, Apparel Accessories, Cars Bikes items at low prices on eBay India

I use a spray gun similar to what's shown here. Its not a very high pressure wash but meets my need.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:32   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shohail. Will be patient next time

Quadra,

Havent you tried the BOSCH AQUATEK way of washing the car?

Its great to wash your car using this device. It comes with many attachments to clean the the underbelly & the wheel arches too.

The kit also has a shampoo dispenser. I fill up the dispenser with F-1 wash liquid and just spray it on the car. The liquid gets mixed up with water and gets sprayed evenly on the car. It gives a foam kind of effect. I leave the foam for couple of minutes. Clean the surface with a sponge and then spray wash it. Its very very easy

I can give you mine so that you can try it out for a wash.

Let me know.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 10th December 2010 at 15:34.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:18   #3910
BHPian

Guys, I need a clarification. I got my car's detailing done 2 days back. Next time onwards I want to do regular waxing with pure wax myself (i.e. not polishing with abrasive compounds but only waxing). What is ideal time period to do it considering that my car is parked in stark sunlight at my office.

Also please let me know if the wax be of any use if applied without sealant? Or the wax will be useless without sealant?

Last edited by pacman2881 : 10th December 2010 at 16:34.
Old 10th December 2010, 18:56   #3911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Guys, I need a clarification. I got my car's detailing done 2 days back. Next time onwards I want to do regular waxing with pure wax myself (i.e. not polishing with abrasive compounds but only waxing). What is ideal time period to do it considering that my car is parked in stark sunlight at my office.

Also please let me know if the wax be of any use if applied without sealant? Or the wax will be useless without sealant?

As you have got your car detailed recently,they would have used sealant.So just wax your car once a week since its exposed to harsh sunlight!
Old 10th December 2010, 18:58   #3912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Quadra,

Its great to wash your car using this device. It comes with many attachments to clean the the underbelly & the wheel arches too.

The kit also has a shampoo dispenser. I fill up the dispenser with F-1 wash liquid and just spray it on the car. The liquid gets mixed up with water and gets sprayed evenly on the car. It gives a foam kind of effect. I leave the foam for couple of minutes. Clean the surface with a sponge and then spray wash it. Its very very easy

Let me know.

Even i have bosch aquatec and its very good! Only downside is it makes hell lot of noise and can irk your neighbors if used for a long time
Old 10th December 2010, 20:02   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
@ Mr. Nobody how about the Turtle Wax Hard shell wax. It retails for 240Rs. approx. A good alternative to Waxpol, i guess. Though its not a breeze to remove after it gets hard on the surface but overall a good product.
after it gets hard ? didnt understand that . can you also tell me about waxpol . i hope turtlewax is not abrasive or harsh on paint .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
@Mr. Nobody- You cant use a polish intended for painted panels on plastics!

Paint can be polished with a polish like sonax auto polish, but a textured plastic can only be thoroughly cleaned and dressed(any plastic /vinyl protectant/polish)
but the plastic is also painted . so there are no all in one product that can be used for both metal tank and painted plastic panel ?
Old 10th December 2010, 22:09   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
A toothbrush is not recommended as the stiff bristles can be harsh on the painted surface. I assume you would typically use it to clean near the badge
areas. Be careful as excess pressure can scuff and mar the paint finish.

I use earbuds for the badge areas. Works well.
I should have mentioned it before, my bad. I am using the toothbrush to clean the wheels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
hose, Home, Decor Furnishings, Apparel Accessories, Cars Bikes items at low prices on eBay India

I use a spray gun similar to what's shown here. Its not a very high pressure wash but meets my need.
Thanks. I think these are also available at spar kind of outlets. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Quadra,

Let me know.
Thanks for the offer buddy. I have read here about how useful the aquatek is, its just the price that keeps me @ bay.
Old 11th December 2010, 11:04   #3915
Senior - BHPian

^You can get one for ~7k!

I too ordered one to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
after it gets hard ? didnt understand that . can you also tell me about waxpol . i hope turtlewax is not abrasive or harsh on paint .
but the plastic is also painted . so there are no all in one product that can be used for both metal tank and painted plastic panel ?
Basically a polish(like sonax polish) is meant for paint!!

It doesn't matter whats under the paint(metal,plastic,urethane etc.)

Its like, anything that has paint, gets polished!!

If the plastic is painted, you can use sonax polish on it also!(just like we polish painted bumpers!)

Last edited by sohail99 : 11th December 2010 at 11:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks