Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 06:25   #4201
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
@ Conoco- where did you get the ONR shipped from? The micro looks plush for sure, did you buy the blue 3M from a shop? Have found the blue 3M to be the best ones for all uses!
@mkh & @rk_sans: The ONR was shipped by shopyourworld - just as what DieselFan did. The delivery was prompt in ~2weeks and the packaging quite neat and secure. Prices seem to have gone up with all these online shops since the time I ordered. The monster fluffies were attractive too but I decided to go with the Eurow double density after I came across a 10 page thread in some online forum. I could be wrong, but it looks to be the same one offered in the BBIMpex 4-piece kit. It may not be very good in absorbing (has only 20% polyamide though the deep nap will makeup for it) but seems to be very effective in gathering and holding the dust.

The blue 3M ones have served me well for more than a year. Yep, those are very good. Got those from a 3M dealer - not meant for retail as you mentioned elsewhere. BTW, your posts in the microfiber thread got me infected and I have a nice collection now !
Old 4th March 2011, 08:46   #4202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
btw ppl wondering and giving weird looks while we are working on the car is common in India!!
+1 here. It is common in India. as here people think cleaning the car is a menial job. In my compound they smile and give those condescending nods of the head thinking "this guys whako" or even "trying to save money"
Old 8th March 2011, 20:13   #4203
BHPian

Has any of our team bhpians ordered any detailing stuff via shop your world under duty free gift?
Old 8th March 2011, 20:24   #4204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
Has any of our team bhpians ordered any detailing stuff via shop your world under duty free gift?

Yes I ordered thru ShopYour World as Duty Free Gift and it was delivered within 15 days to my address.

The only thing is that you should have valid and genuine shipping address of any country and the value of item should be less than 10,000/- incl. of shipping.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:30   #4205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
+1 here. It is common in India. as here people think cleaning the car is a menial job. In my compound they smile and give those condescending nods of the head thinking "this guys whako" or even "trying to save money"
You are cent percent right. Same happens to me also. When I wash my car on Sundays and give a wax polishing to the bonnet, sides etc with sweat draining out of me, even the watchman comes and asks whether any help is required.

We feel pleasure in doing it myself. People peep from their windows.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:31   #4206
BANNED

Earlier I used to get my car cleaned from a guy but one day I found that he is cleaning my car with a cloth which he used on another car and with the same cloth he cleaned tyres and wheels of the other Car.

Also that guy told me that there is no need to wash/wax the car every week, just drycleaning will do and immediately fired him and from that day onwards, I'm cleaning my car myself.

Ditto with me when I clean my car but now after seeing condition of my car, most of my neighbourhood have started working on their car themselves.
micrographics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 16:03   #4207
BHPian

My apartment car wash guy was actually worse. First he uses the same cloth for all cars, uses just one bucket to wash the car, mats & then use it for glass. For few days the car looked clean but when i saw him wash the car, i was damn upset. Fired him the next day & now i clean the car myself.
Some tips i use to keep the car clean - courtesy this thread's gurus (mkh, nirmal, sohail and others)
1. Jopasu the car daily before going for work
2. Park the car in a covered car park / MLCP in office - This avoids bird / insect poo (a major headache when comes to removal).
3. Jopasu the car when leaving office. Doesn't take much time as its just a thin layer of dust thats present.

So now if i walk past a parked car, i only look for swirl marks.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:32   #4208
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
My apartment car wash guy was actually worse. First he uses the same cloth for all cars, uses just one bucket to wash the car, mats & then use it for glass. For few days the car looked clean but when i saw him wash the car, i was damn upset. Fired him the next day & now i clean the car myself.
Some tips i use to keep the car clean - courtesy this thread's gurus (mkh, nirmal, sohail and others)
1. Jopasu the car daily before going for work
2. Park the car in a covered car park / MLCP in office - This avoids bird / insect poo (a major headache when comes to removal).
3. Jopasu the car when leaving office. Doesn't take much time as its just a thin layer of dust thats present.

So now if i walk past a parked car, i only look for swirl marks.
Good work, the only 2 things i will add to this( and they are easy too)
1. Use a high quality Micro, DAMP it properly and run it over a Duster Car in single strokes to clean what the duster cannot remove( particles and grime stuck to the surface)
2. Use a high quality Wax as often as you like and can, once in 15 days and keep the surface protected from UV and other environmental effects as well as keep the surface smooth so that dust does not stick
Swirls are a part of life- cannot avoid totally, what we can do is- keep the paint protected and presentable IMHO
Old 9th March 2011, 16:35   #4209
BHPian

How does one remove a bit of rusting on the chrome logo on our cars? I am not even sure whether it's rusting as it's not maroonish as yet. This is bang on the Hyundai logo on the boot of the i20. It's definitely because of water as it's only on the areas where water can rest while drying.
Old 9th March 2011, 19:47   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
Good work, the only 2 things i will add to this( and they are easy too)
1. Use a high quality Micro, DAMP it properly and run it over a Duster Car in single strokes to clean what the duster cannot remove( particles and grime stuck to the surface)
So you damp the micro with what? We spoke about a solution that you recommended for wiping the car (forgot the name). Any progress on that?

Quote:
2. Use a high quality Wax as often as you like and can, once in 15 days and keep the surface protected from UV and other environmental effects as well as keep the surface smooth so that dust does not stick
Swirls are a part of life- cannot avoid totally, what we can do is- keep the paint protected and presentable IMHO
True.

PS - had sent you a PM a while ago.
Old 9th March 2011, 20:19   #4211
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
So you damp the micro with what? We spoke about a solution that you recommended for wiping the car (forgot the name). Any progress on that?

True.

PS - had sent you a PM a while ago.
Quick detailer is the name, I could get it from some friends coming from the
US
You can damp with water!! The car needs to be dusted off
Replied to PM but sometimes phone is faster n more reliable
Old 10th March 2011, 11:27   #4212
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help me in sourcing the Jopasu Duster. The listing on ebay is quite expensive especially the shipping cost. Was wondering if anybody could help me procure one.
Will transfer the amount in advance, if needed.

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th March 2011 at 11:32.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:43   #4213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Can anybody help me in sourcing the Jopasu Duster. The listing on ebay is quite expensive especially the shipping cost. Was wondering if anybody could help me procure one.
Will transfer the amount in advance, if needed.
@samsag: Why don't you drop an enquiry at Jopasu Car Care Products India and check what their response is.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:52   #4214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
@samsag: Why don't you drop an enquiry at Jopasu Car Care Products India and check what their response is.
Thanks for replying RemingtonSteele but the enquiry form of theirs is stating error when clicked on submit button.

Also i am pretty sure they would direct me to the ebay listings of the dusters so can't rely on them.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:25   #4215
Senior - BHPian

OK Guys, Got down to a weekend of labor:- washed with Turtle wax "Zip wax", clayed with Mother's, polished with Turtle wax "Super hard shell wax". The car is 19 months old and is garaged at home but in the open at work.
The clay did not get much contaminated as you can see in this pic, the right bit is what I used, Lt is unused clay
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010392.jpg
After one week this is how the car looked. Notice a few swirl marks in one of the pics where the sun is photographed thru trees. I didn't use the collinite 845 as the turtle wax was beading nicely.

Should I use it now for sealing?
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010395.jpgA superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010402.jpgA superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010404.jpg
few swirl marks here
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010407.jpg
And in all her splendor
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010411.jpg
I now realise that a dark color car would have much better results. Effect on a silver car is not seen much

Last edited by goandude : 10th March 2011 at 16:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks