Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 18:39   #4501
BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

sharma_sanjeevi: If you're using thinner you have to be careful and not overdo it. It can easily remove the gloss or sheen from the surface. As sohail suggested, use a clay bar. Its safe, so you need not worry about it!
Old 27th May 2011, 19:44   #4502
Senior - BHPian

Since I dont have access to a clay bar, I have listed the products I do have that might be useful for this purpose.

1] Paint thinner
2] Turpentine
3] WD 40
4] Rubbing compound
5] Autoglym Tar and bug remover
6] Autoglym Clean wheels (its an acidic cleanser so I thought I might as well list it)
7] 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
8] Acetone
9] Acetone free nailpolish remover

Which one of these is recommended for these surfaces a] Body paint b] Glass c] Plastic trim d] Rubber trim ?

Also, should I try scratching, hard rubbing with a MF first ?
Old 27th May 2011, 21:06   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If you wanna remove overspray, you need a detailing clay!

BBImpex has it, I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
sharma_sanjeevi: If you're using thinner you have to be careful and not overdo it. It can easily remove the gloss or sheen from the surface. As sohail suggested, use a clay bar. Its safe, so you need not worry about it!
Thanks Guys..!! for the useful suggestion. I will try to get my hands on the Detailing Clay. Will try with thinner once and of it dosent work, as vaibzi suggested will refrain from using it.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:24   #4504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Which one of these is recommended for these surfaces a] Body paint b] Glass c] Plastic trim d] Rubber trim ?
Of these, rubbing compound is the safest on paint. For glass use anything. For plastic and rubber, grow hard nails and scratch.
Old 27th May 2011, 22:25   #4505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gagan View Post
I went to X-Static Concepts office in wilson garden, Bangalore today.The owner Mr Rajesh is a young enthusistic chap. He is dealer of Valvoline Products ( eagle one and car or Ultra brite range of professional detailing products . He also has MF's picked up a 50 x 50 blue MF . I feel it is better than jopasu . maybe Nirmal or Mohisn can compare it to 3M.

PS: Mods I would like to add x-Static to team bhp bangalore directory please help.
Jopasu is better than those x-static, as the no. of washes increase you will feel the x-static becoming hard or rough
Old 27th May 2011, 22:42   #4506
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshs View Post
Jopasu is better than those x-static, as the no. of washes increase you will feel the x-static becoming hard or rough
I agree to it after using x static and washing it i do feel jopasu is better. the best MF i have is blue 3M I got from UD.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:08   #4507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis
Since I dont have access to a clay bar, I have listed the products I do have that might be useful for this purpose.

1] Paint thinner (I wouldnt touch a thinner to a car paint!)
2] Turpentine (Never tried! I'd google on it a bit)
3] WD 40 (Its paint safe)
4] Rubbing compound (good ol' way to do it)
5] Autoglym Tar and bug remover (This just might work!)
6] Autoglym Clean wheels (its an acidic cleanser so I thought I might as well list it) (use it only on wheels)
7] 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (You can try IPA too, its perfectly paint safe) IPA scrubbing on rubber and plastic trim will remove overspray and paint. I've used it for the same purpose(but mine was 50/50)
8] Acetone (Very strong solvent! I'd stay far away from that stuff!)
9] Acetone free nailpolish remover

Also, should I try scratching, hard rubbing with a MF first ?
Scratching hard with mf will only cause scratches in the paint! You can use mf scrubbing on rubber and plastic trim though!

In case the stain is stubborn, use a tissue paper to hold the chemical to that spot for some time and give that spot time to soak and become soft, so you can take it off without causing any damage!

Last edited by sohail99 : 27th May 2011 at 23:10.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:20   #4508
Senior - BHPian

So ill try these things one by one. IP alcohol, WD 40, AG Tar remover and then Rubbing compound.
Old 28th May 2011, 16:55   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
So ill try these things one by one. IP alcohol, WD 40, AG Tar remover and then Rubbing compound.

Start with WD40 it is paint safe. Try your hardware store its available everywhere.

Spray WD40 on the affected areas wait for 2-3 minutes and then wipe with a clean cloth.
Once the paint spots are gone clean the area and then apply some wax/sealant to restore the shine.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:23   #4510

A superb Car detailing guide, wish we had this kind of knowledge at home!

Hello Team Members,
You may feel I am old time superstitious, But I sincerely feel that, our vehicle will do give us a better service and never ditch us in an emergency, if tended and pampered properly. Washing, Cleaning and Caring is the least we can do. I don't know if I am a little bit crazy but I do pat and talk to my car on starting and reaching destination safely. I would really like to know how many of our team members feel the way I do about our cars and other vehicles that we own..
Or am I really crazy??
Aashish..
Old 30th May 2011, 10:06   #4511
BHPian

I would suggest you go for Aeroshot top-cut paint cleaner[url="http://www.com-paint.com/Product_Detail.aspx?mpgid=44&pgid=44&productid=16& catid=4&model=&color=&qty=1&ccode="]. Use it with a clean soft cotton cloth. You will see the paint disappearing before your eyes. Then apply collinite and finally buff.

Tada.

You got a gleaming car surface.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:55   #4512
BHPian

Is there any way to remove scratches from the Tail Lights of a car ? Any solution available ?
Old 30th May 2011, 10:58   #4513
Senior - BHPian

Re: Loving & Caring for your vehicle.

If you want your car to be reliable, get it serviced at regular intervals at a reputed service centre and follow the guidelines mentioned in the user manual.

Change engine oil (and other fluids) at regular intervals as recommended by the manufacturer.

Just washing and cleaning does not amount to pampering of car. These things are purely superficial. Things that really matter to the mechanical health of the car are located under the hood, where most people would never bother looking.

There is no point in obsessing over physical appearances if the internal health is ignored. This reminds me of the Castrol advertisement starring Sachin Tendulkar. In this advertisement, a person is shown obsessing about the outer appearance of his car (I love my car) even when the engine is full of sludge. I know many such people.

Talkin to your car an patting it are your personal preferences, I wouldn't comment on this. But talking and patting alone is not sufficient, keeping the car mechanically (and electrically) sound is the key to reliable performance.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 30th May 2011 at 11:00.
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 11:47   #4514
BHPian

guy, does petrol is safe to remove small paint dots(pin head size) from windshield?
And can i use it on headlight also.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 12:59   #4515
Distinguished - BHPian

razor blade flat against glass. No need for petrol or any other solution. This is how decorators get paint off your house windows. I've also mentioned the finger nail before; have you tried? small spots of emulsion paint come off glass quite easily, but they don't stick to it very well.

Most Viewed